Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

zxhost is a company or one man? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

zxhost is a company or one man?

Comments

• billing doesn't work here too, I guess @AshleyUK is already working on it... as far as my experience with him goes, he really tries to make things right. I also noticed a short downtime today - around 12 hours ago, which sadly involved a restart of two services. but that were only minutes.

their main page and solus at https://vmcp.zxhost.co.uk/ (for older services) are working as are all of my services I can see so far.

AFAIK zxhost is in the process of migrating most of their offerings over to a structure based on ceph and proxmox while esp. the latter is not easy to integrate into other control or billing panels...

might happen to be just a bad timing for a new customer to start with such an incident, I'd suggest give him another 12 hours (its near midnight in europe) to get the services return to normal and get the ticket backlog done.

• I had paid for a nat vps from another company which is active here. I didn't get the product after 12 days.

How to do business like this?

• TsuyoTsuyo Member
    edited February 2017

You're posting in the wrong thread, ZXHost has nothing to do with whatever NAT host you've got this time.

• icase said: I can be sure that you are not standing on the customer point of view.

As I am not a provider nor I will ever be, can look at it on consumer's side. If support speed and reliability of the vps was the same as AWS, then, why the hell Amazon would even exist? Have you ever heard the phrase "you get what you pay"? If you pay peanuts for a vps and you demand from the provider to solve an issue fast, you maybe need to face the reality.
    Cheappie vps is excellent, if you have a disaster plan, keep constantly backups, have failover vps to fire it up if the main one gets down, or if the service is not critical at all and you don't mind some hours of downtime.
    But if you rely for a critical service in a cheap vps and only to that, then, you just made a foolish action.

P.S.: @AnthonySmith asked you a genuine question that you avoided to answer it (for obvious reasons): How much did you pay for the vps?

Letisbest said: I had paid for a nat vps from another company which is active here. I didn't get the product after 12 days.

Did you open a ticket to them? And use the right thread for that or open your own.

• imokimok Member
    edited February 2017

My server has been offline for a while and can't access client area. Waiting for news from @AshleyUK

Edit: It seems the server was rebooted and entered to the OS installation process because I left the ISO mounted. Rebooted again and everything is fine :)

• Hmm my vps is still up and doing fine, but now I see billing site /client area is down. No point opening more tickets since I'm sure they have plenty.

• Hello,

Firstly this was only effecting the billing area which runs on a completely seperate environment from the rest of the hardware.

PHP-FPM keeps crashing out, I am currently rebuilding WHMCS onto a new environment and removing PHP-FPM.

At no point was this effecting any hardware or clients services.

If your VM is down please send me a PM and I'll happily look into what your individual issue is.

Thanked by 3willie aaraya1516 imok
  • @Tsuyo said:
    You're posting in the wrong thread, ZXHost has nothing to do with whatever NAT host you've got this time.

In comparison that his experiences were not that bad after all.

• Is not a matter of cheap or expensive products.

Delays and cock ups are part of our daily lives. You see it everywhere. So it is acceptable in some ways.

I am more conern with reliability and trust of doing business.

You don't run a business letting your customers hang in limbo. Reply the support tickets for God sake.

• Well, my VPS was off (as in instance powered down) sometime after Feb 13 20:50 UTC. It was turned back on around Feb 14 01:32 UTC.

Good thing I'm following my new SOP of waiting at least a week before deploying full services to my newly acquired VPSes. I don't want to have to reload 1TB of data should my VPS disappear like it did with ServerHub.

I'm rooting for you @AshelyUk! One man or many, I hope you thrive!

• @Letisbest said:

@Tsuyo said:

Oh well, since you're already going offtopic in this thread I might as well point you to this. Took them almost a month before they finally replied.

And do note that I wasn't even complaining about this downtime at ZXHost even though it did affect me as well for 2 VPS'es that were ultimately down for less than 5 hours. They both just booted up fine without any problems.

• @Tsuyo said:

@Letisbest said:

@Tsuyo said:

Oh well, since you're already going offtopic in this thread I might as well point you to this. Took them almost a month before they finally replied.

And do note that I wasn't even complaining about this downtime at ZXHost even though it did affect me as well for 2 VPS'es that were ultimately down for less than 5 hours. They both just booted up fine without any problems.

Wow that is even worst.
    Hahaha

• @imchandave said:

>

Good thing I'm following my new SOP of waiting at least a week before deploying full services to my newly acquired VPSes. I don't want to have to reload 1TB of data should my VPS disappear like it did with ServerHub.

I'm rooting for you @AshelyUk! One man or many, I hope you thrive!

Agreed 100% ...

• I have a vps with them and my experience has been great so far. Usually my tickets are answered within 24 hours at times up to 48 hours max. If I remember @AshleyUk stated in a thread here, that he is the primary person that runs the show but that he does have other help that works behind the scenes. Overall for the service i'm getting and the price i'm paying, i don't mind waiting 24 to 48 hours for a ticket response.

• AshleyUkAshleyUk Member
    edited February 2017

Issue with billing area have been resolved, if anyone has any issues please log a ticket.

• 48 hours is acceptable.

• Letisbest said: 48 hours is acceptable.

I'd say it was better than that, the teaming of Eddie Murphy and Nick Nolte was inspired.

Thanked by 1WSS
  • whmcs update error?

• @Microlinux said:
    Maybe it's one person, who knows . . . there are probably 100s of thousands of companies around the world run by one person.

It's not clear to me what you are trying to complain about, the billing system?

Yep being a one person company isn't necessarily a bad thing some of the smaller providers give excellent support, that said you do need some contingency plans just in case something happened to that person.

• Public Status page has been added : http://status.zxhost.co.uk (Checked Every 1 Minute)

Recent Kernel Panic issue is related to : https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1655842

All our node's are now running the latest patched kernel.

@blazingfastservers said:

whmcs update error?

Nope latest PHP7.0 update causing PHP-FPM to refuse new connections via the socket.

• icase said: But I still keep my point of view: that is, the service has nothing to do with the price, just as bandwagon exists the same.

You are the only one in the world that beleive price has nothing to do with the service. You invented economics 101 again! Kudos!

• @jvnadr said:

icase said: But I still keep my point of view: that is, the service has nothing to do with the price, just as bandwagon exists the same.

You are the only one in the world that beleive price has nothing to do with the service. You invented economics 101 again! Kudos!

You do not have any need to ridicule me so much.

First of all. what is cheap? what is expensive? Is there a defined standard? The economic environment is still changing.

Obviously, experience determines everything, But the experience is also different. Maybe you think something expensive, I think cheap; you think cheap, I think expensive.

So, a lot of things to be placed in a transparent place to discuss. If your service and your price are relevant match rules. Can be written out, so that customers decide to choose. Otherwise, there is no need to feel your customers complain.

• AshleyUk said: Public Status page has been added

May I ask what is this script ? Looks nice and sample.

• icase said: First of all. what is cheap? what is expensive? Is there a defined standard? The economic environment is still changing.

Fully managed hosts, there you can expect 24/7/365 support with short reply times often costs much much more then a unmanaged host. Etc, I have used some Fully managed hosts before, and you can see the prices here:
    http://soladrive.com/managed_ssd_vps.html
    https://www.knownhost.com/managed-ssd-vps-hosting.html
    They starts at $25/mo for 1 GB RAM, but your host starts at £5/mo for the same. So thats cheap compared with a managed host.
    There are of course more expensive hosts out there also.

Support cost money, so if you want really fast support, go for a managed host that have a support time you can live with.

• dfroedfroe Member, Host Rep
    edited February 2017

I signed up @AshleyUK about 1.5 years ago, and I have a good feeling by having two of my productive servers running there. From time to time I notice a few issues, but all have been solved successfully. For me it's a great plus to have someone, who really cares about his customers and I like the personal touch of ZXHost. Great service, good uptimes, very low price. Great job!

The fact how many people are behind a company doesn't really bother me, as long as I am satisfied with their service. When it comes to availability, my best experience is to have multiple servers spread across multiple LET providers. This keeps costs low and availability high. ;-)

And thanks for the updates regarding the kernel panic. I noticed a reset of my VM, too. Fortunately I do have two VMs on different hypervisors so my HA services properly switched to the other server until the other host came back online a few minutes later.

• icase said: First of all. what is cheap? what is expensive? Is there a defined standard? The economic environment is still changing.

Prices involved in hosting industry is pretty much the same all over the world for hardware and varies for electricity and bandwidth.
    An ip can cost from 0.50 to 1 $ for a provider, depending on how big he is, and in some cases zero because he owns the range. But if he actually owns the range, then, he probably won't give it for free for a vps but rent it to earn at least 1$ per ip.
    Put on top of buying a server cost, add x4 HDDs for raid 10, add memory modules, racking the server as colo (it is much more expensive if you just rent the server), paying for redundant bandwidth in more than one carrier.
    And that's not all: the provider has to pay monthly for licenses (Solus vm or virtualizor, WHMCS etc.), pay for support techs (even if he does support alone, the time spending to this costs also money).
    So, yes, There is a defined standard, especially for the low threshold. Beyond that, the service simply cannot exist.
    Now, you pay peanuts. This can be done only if the provider cut costs. From where?
    Cheaper datacenter with less redundancy and less support, cheaper bandwidth, no extra tech employs (aka he provides support on his own and he cannot be there 24/7), older and used gear (buying a used server and disks from ebay to cut initial costs).
    Now, you demand to have top notch support in a 99,99% hardware and network availability. Can this done by paying peanuts? No, it cannot.
    Again, it is economy 101.

icase said: Maybe you think something expensive, I think cheap; you think cheap, I think expensive.

No, this is wrong. Something is cheap or expensive, compared to the profit margin and the raw costs of the service.
    You don't think something as cheap objectively. You only can think something as cheap for YOUR budget. But this is something that has to do with YOU, not the cost of the product.

icase said: You do not have any need to ridicule me so much.

No, I don't. But you also don't have the right to bash a provider (causing troubles in his business making look bad) because he didn't fulfill your unrealistic expectations.
    What are the obligations of your provider about the time frame from opening a ticket to be answered? Is there any written SLA that states anything about that?
    The only thing in the SLA posted in your provider's site, is that you can request a pro rata refund if downtime exceed 4 minutes per month (and this is very generous from his side, most of cheap providers will give you a SLA of 99,5 or even 99%, much more than 4 minutes per month).

ZXHost provides a 100% Network & Infrastructure SLA, if during any month your service is offline or affected by an unscheduled hardware or network failure for more than 0.01% of the time during this month (4 Minutes) you can request a pro-rota refund for the duration your service was effected. This excludes any client specific downtime caused by DDOS or client side configuration.

And to clear something, I am not affiliated nor do I have or had any services from this provider.

P.S. By the way, you still refusing to answer what is the price of the vps you have and complain for...

• Been with them for 1.5yr.
    A few downtimes here and there, but had no issues.
    When contacted, Ashley replied within a time-frame that was faster than average hosts.

Running storage box (kodi & private tracker torrent seedbox)

• I've had a storage vps with them for a couple of years and Ashley has always dealt with any issues quickly and effectively. In my experience I get better CS from 'one man' companies than those with a load of employees.

• very bad experience with this vendor.

Unprofessional. Not even send you an activation email, just reply in ticket.

No control panel setup, it seems the vendor just forgot.

Ticket open for more than 3 days without a single reply. ( still waiting for reply)

• Great experience with ZXHost. It's unmanaged, but Ashley responds very quickly to any tickets I have opened, and I do my best to explain exactly what I am seeing, what I have done and what I would like to have done to resolve the issue at hand. I know what I paid, and the service is amazing compared to the amount that I am paying. (I got the LET Storage special.) It's taught me a ton about self-managing systems as I consider this unmanaged and if things go askew, I need to figure out as much of the possible causes of the issues and then solve as many problems myself, before firing off a ticket.

Responses are timely, even when I mark the tickets medium or low priority, and Ashely has never been anything but professional in his replies, even in the cases where I now know how to fix the problems and they should never have been opened tickets in the first place. I would expect a response of "This is unmanaged, read up on how to fix it first." but I have never had that kind of response.

Thanked by 2Falzo coreflux