Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lots of dumb storage - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Lots of dumb storage

Comments

• @xrz said:

they terminate

Amazon Level 3 support we know and love

Thanked by 2Hxxx dimon222
  • IkoulaIkoula Member, Host Rep

Hello,

We are not cheap enough but i'd like to ask if you thought about a hosted NAS ?

• Just get some backblaze B2

• jenkki said: Why no cunts at this time?? ;)

>
    There will be, just be patient

Thanked by 2Ympker Hxxx
  • https://youtu.be/Z-IYk7YVW80

• xrz said: ACD = amazon cloud drive, i personally storing there ~900TB encrypted stuff for 60€/year only, no problem no complain ;) but you cant too much download or stream from ACD or they terminate account, upload is fine for them, you can also mount it as remote folder, do what you like ...

I considered cloud storage, but I'd rather be in full control of the storage. Also don't want to pay out for the year as I may not need this in 2 months time.

Ympker said:

Are you looking to store media (video) files as you do require a good streaming performance? If so just go with a dedi and full disk encryption rather than encrypted cloud service (even though a lot of them do offer in browser streaming). All performance is yours :)

This is pretty much where I'm headed, tbh.

ucxo said: How about two of these (can be combined into a single VPS on request):

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/103485/let-storage-48-hour-offer/

Did have a look, but as you say yearly billing is the problem, for the reasons mentioned above.

Ikoula said: We are not cheap enough but i'd like to ask if you thought about a hosted NAS ?

Not considered it really, they're not particularly common. Can't see any hosted NAS product on your site.

dodedodo said: Just get some backblaze B2

Not sure if trolling or serious?

The site seems to imply thats only for adding storage to an existing TransIP VPS - is that not the case?

The storage offers are in Utah by the looks of things - not what I want.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • MagicalTrainMagicalTrain Member
    edited January 2017

@nekki the ikoula hosted nas is under dedicated server, but only the 4tb plan at 22€ is comparable to your kimsufi, but still not cheaper. The sale price is good, but limited to 3 months. No idea if you have to contract for longer than that though then.

https://express.ikoula.com/en/dedicated-server

Thanked by 1Nekki
  • MagicalTrain said: @nekki the ikoula hosted nas is under dedicated server, but only the 4tb plan at 22€ is comparable to your kimsufi, but still not cheaper.

https://express.ikoula.com/en/dedicated-server

Thanks guy, wouldn't have thought of looking for them there.

• williewillie Member
    edited January 2017

Oh whoops you're right about Hostzoom storage being in Utah. I'd flagged that before, but then when I looked at that thread I saw Frankfurt at the top of the page w/o noticing it's for the non-storage offers.

I think TransIP's big storage is mountable ZFS. Don't know if you can encrypt it.

The SYS ARM server is only available at BHS right now: https://www.soyoustart.com/us/offers/arm-2t.xml

There are a few kimsufis available with 2TB, maybe more than you want to pay. Or same idea, slower and cheaper: http://digicube.fr/rapidserveurs/43

Let me know what else you find--I'm out of ideas.

• willie said: There are a few kimsufis available with 2TB, maybe more than you want to pay

The KS-2E turns up fairly often, and was my initial go-to, but given that I don't actually need a dedicated device I thought I'd ask around for options before pulling the trigger.

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@xrz said:
    ACD = amazon cloud drive, i personally storing there ~900TB encrypted stuff for 60€/year only, no problem no complain ;) but you cant too much download or stream from ACD or they terminate account, upload is fine for them, you can also mount it as remote folder, do what you like ...

Did you actually mean 900TB?

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

@nekki My plex storage box is totaling 13TB a month on traffic for ~8TB of content - 500+Hrs of streaming per month

Thanked by 1Hxxx
  • @pbgben said:
    @nekki My plex storage box is totaling 13TB a month on traffic for ~8TB of content - 500+Hrs of streaming per month

Fucking hell - I don't do anywhere near that volume. How many people are you sharing with?

Nekki said: In terms of pricing, if we were talking about 2TB my current option would be a Kimsufi KS-2E at £11.45/month (plus setup fee), so needs to be in that ballpark or less. I would not be looking to commit for any longer than 3 months at a time.

A 72TB server at 400/month is 5.55/TB cost, I know there could be ways of lowering this but its a good ballpark to get some idea on the cost.

@Nekki said:

@pbgben said:

Fucking hell - I don't do anywhere near that volume. How many people are you sharing with?

Too many leaches if you ask me. I dont know the number of users. Just that they watch a shit tonne of content.

• @pbgben said:

A 72TB server at 400/month is 5.55/TB cost, I know there could be ways of lowering this but its a good ballpark to get some idea on the cost.

I really don't need anywhere near that. 4-6TB would be plenty I think.

• @pbgben said:

Too many leaches if you ask me. I dont know the number of users. Just that they watch a shit tonne of content.

I'm very strict, if I spot someone an IP on the server I don't know, they get banned and so does the user who's account they were sharing.

• @Nekki said:

@pbgben said:

I'm very strict, if I spot someone an IP on the server I don't know, they get banned and so does the user who's account they were sharing.

Thats like the most basic amount of respect I expect from people I give free shit to. If somebody asks for access for a friend or the like Id likely give it, but simply sharing access is pretty shitty.

@Nekki said:

@pbgben said:

Have bout ~50 Active users.

• You could have all your friends get servers in the DC and then just transfer over the internal network?

A Hetzner SX61 (4x 6TB drives) with no RAID is about $3.25/TiB/mo if my math is right, not bad at all. With just 4 drives cost per TB goes up with increasing RAID level. Only way around that is with a big machine, like SX291 = 15x 6TB drives at 250 euro/mo = $3.61/TiB/mo with 2 parity drives or $3.91 with 3 drives.

I'd just go on the server auction and get one of their 25 euro-ish i7 boxes with 2x 3TB drives. I've had one for over a year and it's great.

• SetsuraSetsura Member
    edited January 2017

@exception0x876 said:

Nekki said:

Setsura said: Just get one of these ARM things from SYS. Only 12EUR for 2TB with 250mbps instead of 100mbps, also no setup fee currently. The CPU is sorta shit, but if all you want is samba or sshfs it will be fine.

Not a bad last resort so thanks for the suggestion, but I was hoping to get something very minimal for less than the KS-2E, rather than get something slightly better for more or less the same price.

Just be aware that if you need some sort of encryption (network/disk), these boxes will crawl due to the CPU.

Considering the bandwidth is only 250mbps anyway, it has no issues reaching that on the network side of encryption using reasonable ciphers like 128 bit AES. Disk encryption might suffer depending on what kind you using though.

• @Ikoula said:
    Hello,

We are not cheap enough but i'd like to ask if you thought about a hosted NAS ?

Just get a physical NAS lol

• exception0x876exception0x876 Member, Host Rep, LIR

Setsura said: Considering the bandwidth is only 250mbps anyway, it has no issues reaching that on the network side of encryption using reasonable ciphers like 128 bit AES.

Are you sure about that? I had one of those servers and when I ran openssl benchmark for 128 bit AES it had throughput at around 40-50 Mbit/s

• SetsuraSetsura Member
    edited January 2017

@exception0x876 said:

Setsura said: Considering the bandwidth is only 250mbps anyway, it has no issues reaching that on the network side of encryption using reasonable ciphers like 128 bit AES.

Are you sure about that? I had one of those servers and when I ran openssl benchmark for 128 bit AES it had throughput at around 40-50 Mbit/s

Dunno about that, but doing a real world transfer with rsync and aes128-gcm for the cipher I was getting around 150mbps on a transfer from across Europe.

• WSSWSS Member

@Nekki If you want dumber than dumb storage, there's always JBOD. :D

• @WSS said:

When will JBODoIP hit? (JBOD over IP). No redundancy of course, with individual pars running as either non-raided or raid-0/JBOD disks.

Thanked by 1WSS
  • @pbgben said:
    Have bout ~50 Active users.

Are you doing like /r/plexshare or something?

I have 13TB of content on my 22TB colo'd server. I have <10 active users and I don't think it uses more than 1-2TB BW/m, roughly 200-300play hours a month.

Mine are all friends or friends of friends.

• WSSWSS Member

@teamacc said:

@WSS said:

When will JBODoIP hit? (JBOD over IP). No redundancy of course, with individual pars running as either non-raided or raid-0/JBOD disks.

dumb storage.

• @WSS said:

@teamacc said:

@WSS said:

dumb storage.

Fine, I'll offer 2TB write-only storage on my /dev/null device.