Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

HostBill's pricing history, current pricing, bad decissions and the path to disaster [updated] - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

HostBill's pricing history, current pricing, bad decissions and the path to disaster [updated]

Comments

• marcmmarcm Member

@SkylarM - I don't see why we couldn't all make a no non-sense list of the features that we want implemented in the WHMCS SolusVM module provided by @soluslabs, and then ask them nicely to implement them over time.

• kbeeziekbeezie Member

@SkylarM said: I was tempted to give hostbill a shot. Then 2 days later they jacked the prices up again.

Anyone good with WHMCS modules? I'm sure most people would kill for similar SolusVM/vePortal/etc plugins that Hostbill has for WHMCS. I'd def pay for a custom SolusVM module that is similar to Hostbill's (it uses the same API, so it CAN be done).

or does anyone know of a good alternative to the SolusVM maintained WHMCS module?

Course far as SolusVM goes, the limitation of a WHMCS module is going to be at best the limitation the SolusVM API allows you to do. So if there's something missing, but the API can't do it, then the module wouldn't do it (without going as far as tying in some kind of shell script onto the boxes in question).

• SkylarMSkylarM Member
    edited May 2013

@Marcm I'd rather them focus on solus itself than that to be entirely honest :P We COULD make the request, but I think it'd be cool if there was a commercial (or free) solusvm module for whmcs. It'd likely get done much faster as a 3rd party.

@kbeezie, to my understanding Hostbill uses the same Solus API that the WHMCS module does, so it's less of a limitation of the API and more a limitation on SolusVM's staff end on wanting to create something similar.

• marcmmarcm Member

@kbeezie I think that the API can do it, since the HB module relies on the SolusVM API as well.

• marcmmarcm Member

@SkylarM - I see your point. Then again SolusVM comes with pretty good customer and admin panels (I am also testing 1.14 R3 and it looks really good) so I guess that they shouldn't waste to much effort on the WHMCS module.

• SkylarMSkylarM Member
    edited May 2013

this is what angers me about hostbill and whmcs. Hostbill dev is good and creates good modules (as far as an outsider looking in, the solus module is VERY good) but has a brain tumor and doesn't understand basic pricing logic or cares for the customer, just the initial sale. WHMCS is properly priced, but the modules aren't created directly by them in this case, so the quality of them is lower as they don't focus on that field, and you either pay someone to make a module or use the stuff that Solus gives us (which is crap IMO).

The Solus panel itself is nice and functions perfectly fine, I just dislike having to navigate the customer away from the billing and support area. If it was all rolled into one it would be much simpler for support and things of that nature. It also removes the factor of having to give the user a separate login, give them the IP of said node, so on.

Ultimately it isn't game breaking as far as running a business is concerned, it's just a nice to-have feature. One system, one login, fully integrated so it's easier on the end-user and easier on the staff as well. Not to mention it looks a lot cleaner.

At any rate, if the even moreso recent change to Hostbill's price doesn't tell people to abandon ship, then i don't know what will. It's like the guy is testing the client base. Will people renew at 999, can I go higher? How high can I go before people abandon the project and make me lower my pricing again?

I doubt I will ever be able to consider Hostbill with the pricing changes he makes every other day. It's the bipolar version of sales and marketing. Leaves a really bad taste in my mouth.

1.14 R3 didn't change much from R2 as far as client/admin side goes if I am looking at things properly. Glad to see they are doing updates though, was considering vePortal but I'll stick it out and see what Solus does. In all honesty if I can get a WHMCS module for Solus and run everything via the billing software instead of external via the control panel (Solus/vePortal/other) then this is a moot point and I could care less how the client layout is on that as nobody would be using it.

• @kbeezie said: Course far as SolusVM goes, the limitation of a WHMCS module is going to be at best the limitation the SolusVM API allows you to do. So if there's something missing, but the API can't do it, then the module wouldn't do it (without going as far as tying in some kind of shell script onto the boxes in question).

You can connect directly to the solusvm db or do some reverse engineering to their internal scripts and you can do lot´s of things :)

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@fileMEDIA said: You can connect directly to the solusvm db or do some reverse engineering to their internal scripts and you can do lot´s of things :)

But you shouldnt have to... This is why ppl pay for products instead of making their own. I believe everyone would do a better suited one in their case if they had the time, money and talent to do it, but unfortunately that is a very rare combination.

• XSXXSX Member, Host Rep
    edited May 2013

Now time just only 999.95$, are you ready?

• Maybe their plan is to get people to buy now while it's cheap?

@Magiobiwan said: Maybe their plan is to get people to buy now while it's cheap?

Hahahahah, make stock, who knows when this opportunity will come again !

• kb9kb9 Member

I hate to talk bad about other companies but this is so insane. If existing customers have to pay that too then this is illegal

@kb9 said: I hate to talk bad about other companies but this is so insane. If existing customers have to pay that too then this is illegal

No, they said they will honour existing agreements, at least so far.

• @Maounique said: No, they said they will honour existing agreements, at least so far.

From other companies that have done this, it's usually for a limited time before they force everyone to the "proper" pricing.

This is my opinion too. They are desperate and will stop at nothing, therefore we must prepare migration already.

• Tyler_STyler_S Member
    edited May 2013

If you're going to migrate to WHMCS from HostBill contact the developers ahead of time at WHMCS - they have a HB import script that works for the most part.

I had HostBill (unrelated to RN) - it's a decent billing system if lacking on the financial reports with very well polished modules. I would have stuck with them, but the owner of HostBill decided that it would be a great idea to cancel my monthly license and force me onto yearly billing - mind you this is long after he stopped offering them on his website. Here's the ticket...

http://elup.me/p/f8n8-iMs.png

http://elup.me/p/WxhL-Lyp.png

http://elup.me/p/HfnS-dPR.png

You'll note from this ticket that not only did they not give me any advanced notice but if I hadn't already been in the process of migrating to WHMCS over the income reporting my entire business would have been halted and I would have been forced to pay their invoice and meet all of their demands. It's really ridiculous that they do this to existing customers who already have a paid service with them.

• marcmmarcm Member

@Tyler_S - Wow, you got to be kidding me. How's the WHMCS migration going?

• kb9kb9 Member

This is really bad. This is illegal

@Tyler_S said: If you're going to migrate to WHMCS from HostBill contact the developers ahead of time at WHMCS - they have a HB import script that works for the most part.

It will be a very hard thing to do since our whmcs already has thousands of customers. We will go with a separate whmcs if we do. In our case he cant pull that trick, our license is owned so in case he decides to stop updates, we will have a bit of time to migrate. Same in case of bankruptcy.

• marcmmarcm Member
    edited May 2013

@kb9 said: This is really bad. This is illegal

@kb9 - It's not like anyone can do anything about them except move on. I wonder 5 years from now when Pietr or Kris or whatever his name is will look back while being "besoffen" on a bottle of "Saniuta" vodka and think: "I could have been a millionaire by now, but I choose to be greedy and stupid..." - and then chugs down another fistful of lithium pills to deal with his "issues"... or some such. Anyway, I see more WHMCS in our collective future. WHMCS will own the host billing industry, just like cPanel owns the shared hosting industry.

• kbeeziekbeezie Member

@Maounique said: It will be a very hard thing to do since our whmcs already has thousands of customers. We will go with a separate whmcs if we do. In our case he cant pull that trick, our license is owned so in case he decides to stop updates, we will have a bit of time to migrate. Same in case of bankruptcy.

Well in theory, if their licensing server goes down, doesn't mean your "owned" license is going to be forever activated (just not as checked as often as a leased license).

So eventually you're going to need to migrate to something else, or try to contact them during the whole mess. As far as the duration before it starts complaining, depends.

edited May 2013

@marcm said: WHMCS will own the host billing industry, just like cPanel owns the shared hosting industry.

And this is a terrible thing :(

@kbeezie said: So eventually you're going to need to migrate

Indeed, but if it goes down, then using a nulled version will not be illegal. The code can be decrypted and then nulled. Naturally, this will be done in house because "cracked" versions, if they exist, might contain backdoors.
    Not that we would do it, probably will migrate long before, but it is perfectly doable.

• kbeeziekbeezie Member

@Maounique said: Indeed, but if it goes down, then using a nulled version will not be illegal. The code can be decrypted and then nulled. Naturally, this will be done in house because "cracked" versions, if they exist, might contain backdoors.

Not that we would do it, probably will migrate long before, but it is perfectly doable.

Would like to see you decrypt ioncube 7.x with the current software available.

Maybe we'll see some tools come out of the Ferentari region, one can hope.

• marcmmarcm Member

@Maounique said: And this is a terrible thing :(

@Maounique - And this is why I am trying to raise a little bit of awareness, so that 5 years from now we don't look back regretting that we stood idle and didn't do anything about this.

• Tyler_STyler_S Member

marcm said: @Tyler_S - Wow, you got to be kidding me. How's the WHMCS migration going?

It went well. The import script was basically flawless so no big deal there. I'm mad that the time I put into the development of my custom provisioning module for HB was wasted though.

Mind you $60/year isn't a huge deal for me, but the random license change and suspension to force the payment was. Also, if he did it once he will likely do it again - any kind of trust at that point was thrown out the window.

I'm not really sure how you can run a business like that though. Obviously he has no business plan or really any knowledge on running a business which is a shame.

Tyler_S said: I'm not really sure how you can run a business like that though. Obviously he has no business plan or really any knowledge on running a business which is a shame.

Well, not always geeks strike gold in business, no matter how good they are at their geeky things.
    Regarding Ioncube, sooner or later everything is decrypted, but it is highly unlikely the tools will come from Ferentari :P Ppl are barely able to read or even speak Romanian there not to mention English :D

• @Tyler_S said:
    If you're going to migrate to WHMCS from HostBill contact the developers ahead of time at WHMCS - they have a HB import script that works for the most part.

I had HostBill (unrelated to RN) - it's a decent billing system if lacking on the financial reports with very well polished modules. I would have stuck with them, but the owner of HostBill decided that it would be a great idea to cancel my monthly license and force me onto yearly billing - mind you this is long after he stopped offering them on his website. Here's the ticket...

http://elup.me/p/f8n8-iMs.png

http://elup.me/p/WxhL-Lyp.png

http://elup.me/p/HfnS-dPR.png

You'll note from this ticket that not only did they not give me any advanced notice but if I hadn't already been in the process of migrating to WHMCS over the income reporting my entire business would have been halted and I would have been forced to pay their invoice and meet all of their demands. It's really ridiculous that they do this to existing customers who already have a paid service with them.

So sorry that happened to you. I'm currently living the dream... er.... nightmare Many of us have come over to HostBillForums.com to commiserate and preserve our businesses while continuing to use HostBill.

• zfedorazfedora Member

Hah, they're now charging for used-to-be included order pages - https://hostbillapp.com/clientarea/?/software_store/orderpages/

• RobertClarkeRobertClarke Member, Host Rep

@zfedora said:
    Hah, they're now charging for used-to-be included order pages - https://hostbillapp.com/clientarea/?/software_store/orderpages/

This just gets worse and worse.

• PatrickPatrick Member

Going to charge for every plugin/module/gateway soon