Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

HostBill's pricing history, current pricing, bad decissions and the path to disaster [updated] - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

HostBill's pricing history, current pricing, bad decissions and the path to disaster [updated]

Comments

• kbeeziekbeezie Member
    edited May 2013

They might as well call it a leased license at 83.25 a month unbranded, and 41.58/month branded with an annual commitment required. Because "Owned" in my opinion does not mean having to re-pay the entire "owned" price again after a year.

HostBillApp: We make WHMCS seem reasonably priced.

• mnpeepmnpeep Member

@kbeezie said: Because "Owned" in my opinion does not mean having to re-pay the entire "owned" price again after a year.

It says "Valid for lifetime" in the description? Maybe it is a lie like the pie?

• SpencerSpencer Member

Well it is a one time fee of $999, but if you want updates then it is another $999 a year

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Most of the time their actual policies are more reasonable than they read. My experience anyway. If you like someone's product, start a conversation don't just go by their marketing.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

@mnpeep said: It says "Valid for lifetime" in the description? Maybe it is a lie like the pie?

It's valid for a lifetime as in you don't have to pay again after a year, but then you're stuck with the buggy software until you buy the update for the same price as the full version.

Now that I look at it, their business model is amazing. Keep the software buggy and barely usable which forces people to renew next year.

• marcmmarcm Member

HostBill makes WHMCS look good! (tm)

@kbeezie also mentioned to me: "HostBillApp : We make WHMCS seem reasonable."

@Spencer said: Well it is a one time fee of $999, but if you want updates then it is another $999 a year

@Spencer - Actually the unbranded license (last time when I checked 10 minutes ago) was like $499.95 per year (lets hope it didn't change). So it boggles the mind that you have to pay $999 to renew -support- and updates for a $499.95 product. How does that make sense?

@jarland said: Most of the time their actual policies are more reasonable than they read. My experience anyway. If you like someone's product, start a conversation don't just go by their marketing.

@jarland - I agree, however raising their prices to absurd levels and locking potential customers out is beyond stupid, no matter how reasonable they are behind their keyboards. Or maybe they're just in a bipolar phase, who knows.... who cares...

@KuJoe said: Now that I look at it, their business model is amazing. Keep the software buggy and barely usable which forces people to renew next year.

@KuJoe - BINGO!

Here are some facts: I have a WHMCS owned license. I get replies to my tickets in a very reasonable amount of time (I extremely rarely need to submit one) and the renewal fee for support and updates is beyond reasonable at $44.95 / year.

• azzavpsazzavps Member

Hostbill is a freak show

We use it for our shared hosting business in NZ called CompleteHost.

WHMCS is so much more reliable. when a hostbill release comes out they break more than they fix.. plus its expensive.. having used both WHMCS wins hands down..

Dont even get me started on their lack of support...$30 per ticket???

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"][URL="http://www.azzavps.com"]Value VPS's from $3 per month! | AzzaVPS.com [/URL][/COLOR]

• SpencerSpencer Member

@azzavps your fake sig is really dumb

• rds100rds100 Member

@azzavps said: [COLOR="RoyalBlue"][URL="http://www.azzavps.com"]Value VPS's from $3 per month! | AzzaVPS.com [/URL][/COLOR]

You might want to consider removing that spam from your post and your sig.

• marcmmarcm Member
    edited May 2013

@azzavps said: Dont even get me started on their lack of support...$30 per ticket???

@azzavps - You mean $75 per ticket :P

Also, bbCodes are not allowed here, please check your signature.

• azzavpsazzavps Member

bbcodes removed!

wow so they price of a ticket has gone up and up and up like the general license cost.. thats crazy. I was waiting days for some requests.
    Best thing to do with hostbill is get it working, back up often and dont upgrade to much!

• azzavpsazzavps Member

ok before anyone jumps on me, signature really updated this time ;-)

• unusedunused Member

@marcm said: @Spencer - Actually the unbranded license (last time when I checked 10 minutes ago) was like $499.95 per year (lets hope it didn't change). So it boggles the mind that you have to pay $999 to renew -support- and updates for a $499.95 product. How does that make sense?

?? http://hostbillapp.com/order/

Owned unbranded = $999 to start, $999 to renew.

It'll be $9999 soon.

• rskrsk Member, Patron Provider

Maybe he made enough money .. and now increased the price so in case some one pays he gets even more haha

• kbeeziekbeezie Member

@unused said: ?? http://hostbillapp.com/order/

Owned unbranded = $999 to start, $999 to renew.

It'll be $9999 soon.

Ahh but it's "optionally" renewable... which is basically saying, you'll want to renew because that bug you had a year ago... it's still there and suddenly they fixed it 2 days after your subscription expired.

• marcmmarcm Member

Does any of you guys know the ARGO joke? Because it kinda applies to HostBill...

• kbeeziekbeezie Member

@marcm said: Does any of you guys know the ARGO joke? Because it kinda applies to HostBill...

Argo fuck yourself?

• kbeeziekbeezie Member

By the way if each license :

"Each new license purchase receives 30-days tech support. After 30 days period you can purchase additional tech-tickets at $75/ticket.
    Guaranteed response time: 18h . "

what's the point of spending 999.99 if you have to end up paying 75/ticket after your initial 30 days? (on renewals doesn't make much sense because you're already installed, and won't likely be requiring support).

Also has anyone here who actually used them actually been compensated anything for them failing to respond within 18 hours?

• marcmmarcm Member

@kbeezie yeah that's the one ;-)

• mnpeepmnpeep Member
    edited May 2013

Knock Knock?

Who's there?

Mary.

Mary who?

Ar, go fuck yourself.

Best joke ever.

• marcmmarcm Member
    edited May 2013

I just posted this in their Pre-Sales forum, but they are real Nazis over there, so I doubt that it will be approved and posted:

The branded license costs $499.95, yet the renewal for an additional year of updates costs $999. Wouldn't it be easier to just purchase another branded license the next year for $499.95?

In order for the current pricing scheme to make sense I would like to suggest another price increase:

-Branded License: $1499.95 / year

-UnBranded License: $2999.95 / year

At these prices I can see a $999 renewal fee making sense, then at least the customer would actually feel like he owns the license.

Also, $75 per support ticket is kind of a weird price, and 18 hours response time is not really that reasonable. Why not increase the per ticket price to $99 or $149 and cut the response time in half?

I think HostBill is great and has potential, but the pricing needs to be adjusted in order for it to make sense, so please accept my suggestions.

Kind regards.

• azzavpsazzavps Member

im going to be moving from hostbill to whmcs.

• DStroutDStrout Member

TBH, as a customer, I prefer WHMCS to HostBill anyway.

• marcmmarcm Member

@azzavps said: im going to be moving from hostbill to whmcs.

@azzavps - How many customers do you have to move over?

• We just moved 150 over from Hostbill.

There is a migration script for the majority although it does have flaws and all third party module services like SolusVM need to be re-keyed with the vpsid

• upfreakupfreak Member

at this trend, I hope HB will bring back its free tier to win back suckers. Adding HB to my radar.

• marcmmarcm Member

@peppr - I still can't believe that some sucker paid $600 for a HostBill license... I guess one is born every minute. Here: http://sqz.io/mapispehostbill

• upfreakupfreak Member

@marcm The internet thrives on them. It is best to have them on a buying spree.

• SkylarMSkylarM Member

I was tempted to give hostbill a shot. Then 2 days later they jacked the prices up again.

Anyone good with WHMCS modules? I'm sure most people would kill for similar SolusVM/vePortal/etc plugins that Hostbill has for WHMCS. I'd def pay for a custom SolusVM module that is similar to Hostbill's (it uses the same API, so it CAN be done).

or does anyone know of a good alternative to the SolusVM maintained WHMCS module?