Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

alternative to digitalocean? - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

alternative to digitalocean?

Comments

• LeeLee Veteran

Who are Ubiquity, do they have a parent or anything? Known names behind them?

Too lazy to research <<

• PatrickPatrick Member
    edited May 2013

@W1V_Lee said: Who are Ubiquity, do they have a parent or anything? Known names behind them?

Too lazy to research <<

Commonly known to host spammers, cheap /24 IP space. Alternative to ColoCrossing you could say in that they cover like 7 US locations with their own network

Googling Nobis tech spam / Ubiquity Spam will bring up loads of results

• LeeLee Veteran

Nuff said :)

• marcmmarcm Member

@shovenose I had a handful of nodes with them back in 2012, but when they made me wait 4 days for a 16GB to 32GB RAM upgrade I decided that enough is enough. To their credit they provide IPMI, however for everything else they tend to move at a snail's pace, especially when setting up new servers.

• DomainBopDomainBop Member
    edited May 2013

zagi said "make sure that your droplet is using VirtIO - you can confirm this with our support by opening a ticket. That should give you high performance network and disk access.

We've now standardized on VirtIO as the default network driver for all new droplets ensuring maximum performance."

If you've standardized on VirtIO why are you still making people with existing droplets go through your ridiculous verification process to get it enabled (support said verification was needed to prevent abuse)? When I finally got it enabled on an existing droplet last week there was virtually no change in performance.

zagi said "just posted results performance results above - I don't see any major issues and would be glad to work through any problems you may have encountered."

The test results (iops, network speed) from my DO droplet in NY aren't nearly as good as the results you posted:

wget freevps.us/downloads/bench.sh -O - -o /dev/null|bash

CPU model : QEMU Virtual CPU version 1.0
    Number of cores : 1
    CPU frequency : 1999.999 MHz
    Total amount of ram : 502 MB
    Total amount of swap : 0 MB
    System uptime : 5 days, 7:33,
    Download speed from CacheFly: 10.7MB/s
    Download speed from Coloat, Atlanta GA: 3.23MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Dallas, TX: 2.92MB/s
    Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 934KB/s
    Download speed from i3d.net, NL: 2.50MB/s
    Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 120KB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 929KB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 3.06MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 2.82MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 7.29MB/s
    I/O speed : 307 MB/s

ioping statistics ---

10 requests completed in 9005.9 ms, 2328 iops, 9.1 mb/s
    min/avg/max/mdev = 0.3/0.4/0.6/0.1 ms

By comparison here are the results from a RamNode SSD (Atlanta, $4.73 monthly):

CPU model : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1240 V2 @ 3.40GHz
    Number of cores : 2
    CPU frequency : 3399.995 MHz
    Total amount of ram : 512 MB
    Total amount of swap : 512 MB
    System uptime : 39 days, 6:26,
    Download speed from CacheFly: 53.4MB/s
    Download speed from Coloat, Atlanta GA: 53.4MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Dallas, TX: 364KB/s
    Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 1.80MB/s
    Download speed from i3d.net, NL: 981KB/s
    Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 570KB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 8.80MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 27.8MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 30.4MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 44.8MB/s
    I/O speed : 976 MB/s

ioping statistics ---

10 requests completed in 9001.5 ms, 16367 iops, 63.9 mb/s
    min/avg/max/mdev = 0.0/0.1/0.1/0.0 ms

• yomeroyomero Member

@DomainBop said: why are you still making people with existing droplets go through your ridiculous verification process

Honestly I don't know why you still complain.

This "process" is simple, you just need to complete the details that you have to fill in the common whmcs stuff.
    I did this for the account of the company where I work and everything was activated in 30 mins.
    ffs

• yomeroyomero Member

And as a second point, I don't know why you are still comparing your VPSs with the DO ones. If you like the "others", use it, period. They may have other advantages, and DO has others, end.

Otherwise, we can start to bash the other providers which doesn't perform at this level and start a flamewar...

For us, DO has been great, we have like ~8 nodes and all of them work really nice.

• bcrlsnbcrlsn Member

Yeah, I've had a node on them for a few months now. It's been stable and I have had no issues. Plus, they are soooo simple to use. If you need a machine you just click create new droplet.

I do however think that they need to stop experimenting with their customers. It just seems a little odd to me how they do some stuff.

I think it's great how there are 2 threads going about how they suck. :P
    They really don't.

• RamNode +1

• marcmmarcm Member

RamNode +1 FTW

• yomeroyomero Member

What a great opinions around ¬_¬

• imperioimperio Member

DO@NY with virtio

CPU model : QEMU Virtual CPU version 1.0
    CPU frequency : 1999.997 MHz
    Total amount of ram : 996 MB
    System uptime : 9 days, 8:07,
    Download speed from CacheFly: 52.6MB/s
    Download speed from Coloat, Atlanta GA: 33.8MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Dallas, TX: 19.6MB/s
    Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 6.96MB/s
    Download speed from i3d.net, NL: 5.10MB/s
    Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 13.3MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 4.45MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 16.0MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 12.9MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 63.4MB/s
    I/O speed : 418 MB/s

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited May 2013

@yomero said: you just need to complete the details that you have to fill in the common whmcs stuff.

Are you sure that you're talking about DO verification process? Strange, because I couldn't find anything whmcs like, but they wanted my facebook account (which I don't have) url or/and my corporate website url (I don't have one either). Months after I paid for and started to use their service...

• yomeroyomero Member

@Spirit said: Are you sure that you're talking about DO verification process?

I don't mean to fill a form. I mean, the extra information required is like the information that all the providers require.

About don't having that, as I said I did the process for the company. So, maybe they can help you in some way, because like you, I don't have facebook or a company website. Their support guys/girls are very comprehensive, and surely you have other stuff, a twitter, g+, blog account.

• ChanChan Member

@yomero said: I don't mean to fill a form. I mean, the extra information required is like the information that all the providers require.

About don't having that, as I said I did the process for the company. So, maybe they can help you in some way, because like you, I don't have facebook or a company website. Their support guys/girls are very comprehensive, and surely you have other stuff, a twitter, g+, blog account.

I understand you in a way but giving out your social networking accounts isn't exactly something common among VPS providers. The only provider I can think of which does this would probably be Host1Free?

• DomainBopDomainBop Member
    edited May 2013

giving out your social networking accounts isn't exactly something common among VPS providers. The only provider I can think of which does this would probably be Host1Free?

OpenVirtuals (login by Facebook Connect only). The feedback they received about the Facebook requirement was almost 100% negative and they ended up dropping the requirement
    http://www.lowendbox.com/blog/openvirtuals-3month-256mb-openvz-ssd-vps-in-new-york-ny/

• zagizagi Member

Good news everyone!

VirtIO is now enabled by default for all accounts and new droplets. No more verification process required. You will see different results depending on the physical node that you're on and the workload at the current time. In all cases from our testing VirtIO will produce better performance than without.

We'll continue to improve the product as we understand that performance is vital. We rely on KVM and network/disk drivers from the Linux kernel - the underlying hardware and network are not the bottleneck so as Linux improves virtualization support and performance our product will improve along with it.

• HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Veteran
    edited May 2013

@zagi said: Good news everyone!

• zagizagi Member

@HalfEatenPie Love that you got the reference. We are huge Futurama fans :)

• @zagi said: @HalfEatenPie Love that you got the reference. We are huge Futurama fans :)

For the longest time it was my text notification sound on my phone.

Safe to say, it was pretty awkward hilarious in exams when it accidentally went off.

• ATHKATHK Member

DO @ San Francisco 1

CPU model : QEMU Virtual CPU version 1.2.0
    CPU frequency : 2299.998 MHz
    Total amount of ram : 495 MB - bit shy of 512MB right ..
    System uptime : 3 days, 3:16,
    Download speed from CacheFly: 24.0MB/s
    Download speed from Coloat, Atlanta GA: 10.0MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Dallas, TX: 4.78MB/s
    Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 3.98MB/s
    Download speed from i3d.net, NL: 1.54MB/s
    Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 2.65MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 3.41MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 4.70MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 24.9MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 3.90MB/s
    I/O speed : 297 MB/s

• @ATHK said: I/O speed : 297 MB/s

Woah now. Since when did they have I/O of actual quality? I remember last time I had a Digital Ocean VPS the I/O was like 30MB/s

• SetsuraSetsura Member

@HalfEatenPie said: Woah now. Since when did they have I/O of actual quality? I remember last time I had a Digital Ocean VPS the I/O was like 30MB/s

[remilia ~] dd if=/dev/zero of=~/zerofile bs=1M count=1024 conv=fdatasync
    1024+0 records in
    1024+0 records out
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 2.36747 s, 454 MB/s

This is mine right now, and it is usually higher, I've seen 800MB/s sometimes.

• Opps, I meant to say just much worse. I don't know where I got that 30MB/s I/O.

http://serverbear.com/benchmark/2013/01/16/CvDUogF1H3iiJZlU

That was mine back in January 16th 2013. I destroyed the droplet and haven't used it since. Might try it out again later.

• yomeroyomero Member

@HalfEatenPie said: Opps, I meant to say just much worse

180~ Around the average for their droplets without virtio :P

• SetsuraSetsura Member
    edited May 2013

@HalfEatenPie said: That was mine back in January 16th 2013. I destroyed the droplet and haven't used it since. Might try it out again later.

I had virtio enabled on mine, back when you had it they still used the IDE and realtek for the nic, I believe those are both virtio by standard now, as per @zagi 's earlier post. It really does make a hell of a difference. I was getting pretty close to 30MB/s IO as well before virtio, and the network was pretty unstable, quite happy with it now using virtio though.

• Yeah. I might give them a try again later but at the moment I'm still tied up with some life events.

• ATHKATHK Member

This is my first experience with DO and "cloud" (fancy word) stuff..

But really it's not bad for what I want it to do.

• BradNDBradND Member

Notice how it's only LET users complaining? yea.... DD doesn't mean everything guys. I've had 4 Droplets with digitalocean for months, not a single issue.

• @BradND said: Notice how it's only LET users complaining? yea.... DD doesn't mean everything guys. I've had 4 Droplets with digitalocean for months, not a single issue.

Yeah but if you haven't noticed you are on LET, therefore you're bound to see the opinions of LET users.