Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

alternative to digitalocean? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

alternative to digitalocean?

Comments

• IvanIvan Member
    edited May 2013

Woah, I couldn't add a credit card but it seems that I've been granted $20 credit, and I received an email from DO.
    I'll add a CC tomorrow and try it out.

• zagizagi Member

@Ivan it allows you to input a Promo without a credit card or submitting via Paypal. Be careful though as your account isn't truly "Active" without a valid billing method. I don't think you'll be able to start a server.

Just add a credit card and you should be good to go with the $20 credit from this promo.

• IvanIvan Member

@zagi Ah, that explains it. Alright then, I thought it'll only accept promo codes once a card has been added. Well it wouldn't charge your card unless the credit/months finishes, right? :p

• LeeLee Veteran

I have to admit that for a while I was really pleased with DO however recently the performance is shockingly bad, I just tried to recreate a new VPS in NY, 49 seconds to log in from the UK was the fastest, iowait is so high it would be as quick switched off.

Pretty disappointed to be honest, I will use up what credit I have and step away from them.

• zagizagi Member

@Ivan that's right, no charges till the end of the month, if you still have promo credit left, then no charges to your card at all.

I looked up your account and saw that its suspended currently since it's missing a billing profile, but you do have $21.24 of credit available :)

• zagizagi Member

@W1V_Lee what do you mean by 49 seconds to log in from the UK? Over SSH? That seems extremely poor, let me know your server IP or email so I can look up your account.

I just ran the FreeVPS benchmark suite and came up with decent results in our new San Francisco datacenter.

wget freevps.us/downloads/bench.sh -O - -o /dev/null|bash
    CPU model : QEMU Virtual CPU version 1.2.0
    Number of cores : 1
    CPU frequency : 2299.998 MHz
    Total amount of ram : 496 MB
    Total amount of swap : 0 MB
    System uptime : 4 min,
    Download speed from CacheFly: 58.0MB/s
    Download speed from Coloat, Atlanta GA: 24.9MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Dallas, TX: 27.8MB/s
    Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 2.75MB/s
    Download speed from i3d.net, NL: 54.8KB/s
    Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 11.2MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 9.65MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 62.5MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 76.2MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 25.8MB/s
    I/O speed : 379 MB/s

free -m
    total used free shared buffers cached
    Mem: 496 166 330 0 6 130
    -/+ buffers/cache: 29 467
    Swap: 0

ioping .
    5 requests completed in 4562.8 ms, 5241 iops, 20.5 mb/s
    min/avg/max/mdev = 0.2/0.2/0.2/0.0 ms

• marcmmarcm Member

@gnugeek This was to be expected from Digital Ocean because they just grew to fast and didn't consider charging a bit more in order to offset overselling. As far as SSD VPS is concerned, I recommend RamNode. @Nick_A is great, and he knows what he's doing.

• zagizagi Member

@marcm just posted results performance results above - I don't see any major issues and would be glad to work through any problems you may have encountered.

While we did grow rapidly - its a top priority to ensure that customer support and service delivers on our promise of fast, and easy to use service.

If you ever have any problems just send me a message here, I'll be sure to get your issue squared away.

• ChanChan Member

I've been using both DigitalOcean and RamNode and in my opinion they're both pretty good, if I'm to get a VPS for any serious purposes I wouldn't hesitate to go for them.
    DigitalOcean has a fantastic control panel and also a unique hourly-based pricing, which I really like as well as that enables me to start up VPSes to test stuff or do VNC sessions knowing that I only have to pay for what I use. As for general hosting $5 a month for a 512Mb SSD based VPS is really good IMO.
    RamNode may not be as competitive in terms of prices but I really do enjoy keeping a 256Mb quarterly paid SSD VPS, which I can count on to host my little sites.

• LeeLee Veteran

@zagi - Perhaps I was being too quick to check after the droplet was setup, it seems to have settled now and the high iowait is gone. This was in NY not SF. I am having to look at placing a 4 smaller droplets in NY due to the lack of IP space in the Netherlands, I may try SF but it;s a bit far away for my needs in the UK.

• zagizagi Member

@Chan - thanks for the kudos, certainly appreciate it

@W1V_Lee glad to hear that things have improved. We're working hard on getting additional IP space in EU/RIPE and it seems like we're making progress. Expect to have those NL servers back in the next couple of weeks.

• LeeLee Veteran
    edited May 2013

@zagi good to hear I may then just create what I need in NY then do a snapshot and transfer once you get some IP space there.

• gnugeekgnugeek Member

@zagi Virtio was enabled by the support with same results. The last answer i received was "We've also reviewed the hypervisor and do not see any issues there, so you may want to check with your local ISP to see if they are having any issues." so i closed the ticket altough i could see the packet loss in my node. My support ticket number was 14316 if that help and the packet loss issue only happen in my node not with other droplets.

• zagizagi Member

@gnugeek The last updates in that ticket are over 1 month ago. I just pinged your server from 3 different locations and getting very consistent latency with no packet loss. Are you still experiencing packet loss when pinging your server?

• gnugeekgnugeek Member

@zagi just replied the ticket:

"Last time i checked was a few days ago and had the same issue but seems the problem vanished. I don't know if you made any change in the network/routers but it's fixed, thanks!. "

I suppose i will give a chance to DO for a few months more.

• @zagi thanks for the hook-up, was a nice bonus to login and see the $5.00 credit :)

I have enjoyed my services with you guys so far! However, I am not a power user, so my experience can't really compare directly to those who are using it as a production server and having issues. Good luck with your expansion to California though, I might just have to try one out now. :)

Cheers!

• graemepgraemep Member
    edited May 2013

Digital Ocean refused my credit card, so Ramnode got my money.

The VPS seems good, especially for what I paid, and customer service is good too: @Nick_A fixed a mistake I made (ordering the wrong VPS: same price, but I ordered SSD by accident) within a few hours on a day he was apologising to people for slow service (because of the launch of the Seattle location).

Server seems fine: I have not exactly tested it, but its always up, nothing lags noticeably, and the little I have done that needed performance (e.g. compiling Fossil) went reasonably fast.

On the whole I think I got a better deal that I would have from DO. The only disadvantage is that it is not in Europe, which I would have preferred, but can live without.

• unusedunused Member

I have both a ramnode@ yearly and use DO frequently for short term testing. Not sure I would use DO for a dedicated vps. it all feels so transitory.

• RaymiiRaymii Member

Just got the $20 coupon code added. Couldn't find where to add it so opened a ticket :). I have no issues with DO, performance is good, even without the VirtIO drivers for me...

• ATHKATHK Member

@Raymii having the same issue ... I've sent Ben a PM on here hopefully he will respond to that :) glad it worked out in the end for you though.

• I moved my entire DO's vps stack, around 20 nodes, to ramnode.
    There is nothing wrong with DO, I am quite OK with there service.
    RamNode is doing a great job as well.
    The reason I go with RamNode is that I need instances with larger disk space.
    RamNode's ssd-cached instances have significant larger disks than DO.

Thanked by 1nonuby
  • Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

@kryps said: I am interested too. However as I understand from your AUP I would not be able to hog CPU cores for any extended period of time. This is something which I do regularly with DO or Amazon EC2. Why don't you implement guaranteed but burstable CPU quotas? And what is an "extended period of time" anyway?

For a variety of reasons, but specifically because we primarily run on E3-1240v2 processors. Fewer cores per node (but faster clock speed) than the E5-2620s that many (including DO? Correct me if I'm wrong) use, so there is less available to hog per user. We intentionally word is that way so that if you need the full power for short periods of time, it's there, but you cannot use it to the detriment of other clients. We do not word it that way to be prohibitive, but rather to give us the most flexibility in accommodating each case individually. As many RamNode clients would tell you, I would be happy to move your VPS to another less used node if you ever think you'd need extra flexibility with your CPU usage. We are all about customer service here (as well as great performance :) ). The amount of CPU issues that we've had where the client really needed full cores over long periods of time have been very few.

@Chan said: RamNode may not be as competitive in terms of prices but I really do enjoy keeping a 256Mb quarterly paid SSD VPS, which I can count on to host my little sites.

I'm glad you've had a good experience with us. Our KVM prices are more expensive, yes. (Our OpenVZ prices are cheaper than DO with our LEB/LET coupons.) But consider that you are getting consistently around 1GB/s I/O on our KVMs (up to 1.8GB/s). You can do the math, but that's multiple times what I've seen reported on average from DO. I know of very few SSD KVM hosts who have as good of a track record of performance as us, and I mean that objectively. If I/O matters that much to you, then you will not be disappointed on a RamNode SKVM. Even our CKVM-E5 line (SSD-cached KVM with tons of disk space on E5-2630 CPUs) performs very well. I've personally seen and had clients report speeds over 600MB/s on a full CKVM node.

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

@webflier said: I moved my entire DO's vps stack, around 20 nodes, to ramnode.

There is nothing wrong with DO, I am quite OK with there service.
    RamNode is doing a great job as well.
    The reason I go with RamNode is that I need instances with larger disk space.
    RamNode's ssd-cached instances have significant larger disks than DO.

Thank you--if I haven't said it already while working with you, I really appreciate your business!

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@Nick_A said: Our KVM prices are more expensive

I bought a 256mb KVM for a year and I paid in chewing gum and this keychain I got from my last vacation in florida.

Expensive? Horribly. I want my keychain back.

• ksecksec Member

On the subject of DO alternative, i have always thought DO was one of the few really cheap Cloud Hosting, it turns out there are even cheaper ones, I have posted here before

https://www.ubiquityservers.com/cloud

Which is based on OnApp, works out to $6 per instance with 1GB of Memory.

And the new one i discovered,

http://www.servgrid.com/index.php

Starting point at $9.99 but it comes with 2GB of Memory, you also get 25% life recurring discount if you search on WHT.

DO's network seems to have improve a bit, but still no match for Linode, i suppose that is why Linode 2x the cost. I am still waiting for Cloud from Incero, I hope it will match Do's price with much better networking.

• @ksec I looked at that servgrid offer and it looks like he ran that offer for exactly 24 minutes (between 6:06am and 6:32am on 5/1). If this is the case, that seems a little flaky.

• LeeLee Veteran

@ksec said: I am still waiting for Cloud from Incero, I hope it will match Do's price

No chance, Incero won't match that pricing.

On a side note I just can't get comfortable with DO at the minute, been running other tests on their NY location today, so I am going to find an alternative for my needs.

• @jarland said: I bought a 256mb KVM for a year and I paid in chewing gum

No-one pays me in Trident Layers...

• twaintwain Member

@ksec said: https://www.ubiquityservers.com/cloud

Which is based on OnApp, works out to $6 per instance with 1GB of Memory.

Apparently they sell cPanel licenses for $10/mo, so this makes a pretty cheap 1G KVM cPanel KVM box... $6 + $10 = $16/mo - now the question is how are the services they provide? Anyone have any experience?

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

Ubiquity doesn't seem to have the best reputation. But they look legitimate enough to me!