Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

IpxCore Current Status - Page 6
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

IpxCore Current Status

Comments

• DomDom Member

@gsrdgrdghd said: ....saying that he can do whatever we wants...

But he can't though. He has to abide to privacy laws like anyone else.

The fact he posted the screenshots would suggest that he was legally able to. It'd be irresponsible to jeopardise his company for the "need to puff himself up" (as Soylent put it) as there are serious repercussions for breaching privacy laws.
    Either way, this is an issue between the customer and IPXcore and no one else.

Thanked by 1DeletedUser
  • @Dom said: Either way, this is an issue between the customer and IPXcore and no one else.

Yeah, and i was a customer of IPXCore. Until this incident which made me cancel my VPS.

• DomDom Member

@gsrdgrdghd said: Yeah, and i was a customer of IPXCore. Until this incident which made me cancel my VPS.

Right, and?

You clearly took what i said out of context. In my reply, 'the customer' is Mr. Souza/Sergio or who ever his real identity is.

• @Dom said: But he can't though. He has to abide to privacy laws like anyone else.

And in the US, that amounts to medical and criminal records. The customer can always waive those as well, and by the sound of the terms, did.

Thanked by 1mpkossen
  • @Dom said: In my reply, 'the customer' is Mr. Souza/Sergio or who ever his real identity is.

You didn't really make that clear in your reply. Anyway as i've already said i don't give a fuck about Mr. Souza.

@gsrdgrdghd said: What i do care about is @Damian setting an example for his company by saying that he can do whatever we wants with any private data (including publishing it) that users submit to him in confidence.

Thanked by 2Mon5t3r Randy
  • @gsrdgrdghd D0 you even know who Mr. souza is?
    Everybody is so stupid...

• @Damian is selling popcorn here to compete with his longest thread record..
    ... by creating a fictious!!! order/suspension and mail screenshots
    to coverup his network issues....
    ... more popcorn please ;)

Thanked by 2Randy ipxadam
  • @peppr said: @Damian is selling popcorn here to compete with his longest thread record..

... by creating a fictious!!! order/suspension and mail screenshots
    to coverup his network issues....
    ... more popcorn please ;)

It's the thought that counts, apparently. By 'setting an example' or some goofy thoughts like that.

• @Jack Mr. souza works at DC, he never comes to office on weekends.

• DomDom Member
    edited August 2012

@LAKid said: D0 you even know who Mr. souza is?

No one does and that's why this thread is 99% full of "what if's" and users throwing their toys out of the pram.

@gsrdgrdghd said: What i do care about is @Damian setting an example for his company by saying that he can do whatever we wants with any private data (including publishing it) that users submit to him in confidence.

Again, he can't "do whatever we wants with any private data" as he has to abide to privacy laws. It really is as simple as that.
    And it sounds, from what miTgiB mentioned, like no infringement of privacy was committed.

So your hissy fit of hastily cancelling your IPXcore account, isn't because of what Damian posted but rather the privacy law he and his company have to abide to.

Anyway, it's getting to 'head bashing wall' stage so i'm out! Anyone got any spare popcorn?

• gsrdgrdghdgsrdgrdghd Member
    edited August 2012

@Dom said: Again, he can't "do whatever we wants with any private data" as he has to abide to privacy laws. It really is as simple as that.

Yes and i don't give a fuck about that. I've never said that @Damian broke any laws. However that doesn't mean that I can't think that his actions are wrong.

Or to give you an example/metaphor: A woman in Iran gets stoned to death for commiting adultery. The punishment might be perfectly fine and in accordance with the local law, but that doesn't mean that someone in the US can't say that it's wrong to get killed for adultery. (Yes i know that killing someone != data privacy but the principle is the same).

Thanked by 1Randy
  • @LAKid said: D0 you even know who Mr. souza is?

He composed the National Anthem for the United States :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Philip_Sousa

Thanked by 1Randy
  • CloudxtnyHostCloudxtnyHost Member, Host Rep

come on guys we really know what this comes down to.

IPXcore is never at fault for their problems.

The 2 recent DC moves were the fault of the DC
    The recent node problems were down to the new DC
    The server being offline / slow was the fault of a customer

The level they'll go to "not be at fault" is scary in my opinion!

Thanked by 3Randy hAwNerk Maounique
  • SoylentSoylent Member
    edited August 2012

@Dom said: I really don't understand this mentality.

Your water and electricity company know your identity. Your bank, GP/Doctor, local council/state, Amazon and other online shopping stores do too.

Utility companies are usually not run by 16 year olds who think they're internet ninja badasses. My banker is not some kid who put up a flashy website because he decided it'd be cool to run a bank for the summer to make money while school's out, but if his infrastructure collapses and my money disappears I'm sure he'll follow IpxCore's lead and say it's the Federal Reserve's fault. American doctors are bound by the strictest privacy laws the US has (HIPAA).

This is quite possibly the worst analogy I have ever seen, anywhere, ever.

• If the bank was insured, which has to by the law, FDIC will pay your money, so if you want, you can run 'summer only bank' if everything is applicable.

• SoylentSoylent Member
    edited August 2012

Go back to LowEndLawSchool. FDIC insurance is not mandated by law, but it's something banks do voluntarily in order to compete effectively. The FDIC also only insures up to 250,000 dollars in accounts per individual, and does not cover the contents of safe deposit boxes or losses that result due to accounting errors.

There's also the little fact that startup capital for new banks is 15-20 million dollars.

But other than all that, sure, it's a great analogy.

Thanked by 1Randy
  • you can get $1.72 from FDIC no problem.

• /me is thoroughly entertained that this thread has degenerated to holier-than-thou types attacking others. Looks like LET is operating normally.

• @Zen: You have a lot of those!

• This thread in a nutshell:

Customer: Performance is bad. Anyone know what's up?
    Damian: It's an abuser.
    LAKid: It's probably the DC's fault.
    Damian: Hahah, I'm so witty, look at this funny email.
    People: Wow, that was an unprofessional thing to do. We're not comfortable using your service now.
    Fanboys: WHAARGARBL
    People: Whatever, it was unprofessional.
    Fanboys: I SPRAY YOU WITH MY RETARDATION. YOU'RE OVERREACTING.
    People: Not really. We're not saying he should be stoned to death. It was just an unprofessional thing to do.
    Fanboys: TL;DR
    Time passes.
    Fanboys: IT'S LIKE A BANK.
    People: It's really not.
    Fanboys: YOU'RE OVERREACTING.

• @Damian said: Looks like LET is operating normally.

Good move on your part to after making a mistake and not admitting it also attacking the whole community. Sounds like @24khost.

Thanked by 1Randy
  • DamianDamian Member
    edited August 2012

@Soylent said: Time passes.

Fanboys: IT'S LIKE A BANK.

Yeah I didn't really understand where that one came from either... Fanboys are fun.

@gsrdgrdghd said: Good move on your part to after making a mistake and not admitting it also attacking the whole community.

It wasn't a mistake:

mis·take   [mi-steyk]  Show IPA noun, verb, mis·took, mis·tak·en, mis·tak·ing.
    noun
    an error in action, calculation, opinion, or judgment caused by poor reasoning, carelessness, insufficient knowledge, etc.
    a misunderstanding or misconception.

There wasn't an error due to poor reasoning/carelessness/insufficient knowledge, and was not a misunderstanding or misconception.

I've tried several ways to explain this, and apparently I haven't been able to convey it effectively. English isn't my native language; maybe i'm missing words somewhere.

So far the only real issue that's resulted from this thread is: IPXcore doesn't have a privacy policy, and should have one. That's fine, and fully understood. So that's on my 'to-do' list, and I expect to have the initial revision in place by this time next week.

Every thing else in the thread has either been troll-bait, opinions, and/or people trying to assault others with their opinions. What is love?

• gsrdgrdghdgsrdgrdghd Member
    edited August 2012

@Damian said: There wasn't an error due to poor reasoning/carelessness/insufficient knowledge, and was not a misunderstanding or misconception.

Oooh yes in my opinion (and in many other peoples opinion too) this was a big error due to poor reasoning/judgement.

So far i haven't seen you explaining anything. Four things that were mentioned are:

1. "It was a fake name and therefor it's no problem." For all we know it could be a real name. Also the e-mail is definitely not fake.

2. "It's not against the US law". To that i've responded with this post

3. "Privacy doesn't matter if you have nothing to hide" - I'm not even going to bother commenting on this one.

4. "Damian did something bad but the user did something bad too so that's fine" - First of all it was never prooven that the user did something wrong. Secondly this would be vigilantism which is illegal pretty much everywhere. Scold's bridles were used in the Middle Ages.

If you don't understand logic let me try it with business aspects.

What would you have lost if you had admitted your mistake and promised to honour your clients privacy better in the future? Your ego. What would you have gained? The support and respect of the community.

What can you win by "defending" (although you are only posting pictures) your actions? Your ego. What could you loose? (this is what happened now) Loosing the respect of a lot of people.

To sum up the whole situation in a nutshell: You say that you can publish your customers private information (names, e-mail addresses) as you please. You are obviously completly fine with that but a lot of people are not.

• One addition: You've been talking about writing a privacy policy. There are 2 possiblities:

1. This privacy policy will state that what you did was wrong. In that case you will have admitted that it was wrong to publish private data in the first place, but you just refused to acknowledge it due to it not being illegal in the US.

2. This privacy policy will state that it is ok for you to publish private information from the customers, including private e-mails, full names and e-mail addresses. In that case it's a ridicolous 'privacy policy".

• @gsrdgrdghd
    very well said.

@Damian
    what the h*ll is wrong with you?

Thanked by 1gsrdgrdghd
  • @gsrdgrdghd said: This privacy policy will state that it is ok for you to publish private information from the customers, including private e-mails, full names and e-mail addresses. In that case it's a ridicolous 'privacy policy".

It'll be more or less this one. Still a privacy policy, even if it doesn't fit your predetermined notions that a privacy policy states "we'll keep your data safe forever!".

• PatsPats Member

@Randy said: Postman @Pats respond my PM Leh

nah... last time i delivered your gift to your GF and she didn't gave me any tips... :(

• @miTgiB i agree it was a bit like beating a dead horse. However considering that @Damian has ignored most (all?) of the arguments in this thread imo it was necessary.

Thanked by 1jcaleb
  • PatsPats Member

@Dom said: i'm out! Anyone got any spare popcorn?

another Privacy issue !!
    when you're going out, how can u take out private popcorns?? :p