Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GVH Password Reset?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

GVH Password Reset?

fkjfkj Member
edited April 2014 in Help

I have just recieved an email from GreenValueHost:

As you requested, your password for our client area has now been reset. Your new login details are as follows: ....

But I didn't request any password reset. Any one same here?

Comments

• kyakykyaky Member
    edited April 2014

omg a new thread. if you give me your email, I will meet your needs.

• Same thing at 12:01 central time.

• gvhtalk.com
    Good news, this domain is available
    Continue to Cart

Thanked by 1stallion
  • kyakykyaky Member

@Virtovo said:
    gvhtalk.com
    Good news, this domain is available
    Continue to Cart

Whois Server Version 2.0

Domain names in the .com and .net domains can now be registered
    with many different competing registrars. Go to http //www.internic.net
    for detailed information.

No match for "GVHTALK.COM".

go ahead

• yeap same here, surprised coz i didn't reset them.

• Mass password reset? Everything OK over there @GreenValueHost

Thanked by 2darkshire netomx
  • NekkiNekki Veteran

Another one here receiving an unprompted password reset. I've raised a ticket with support requesting an explanation.

• hacking attempt..?

• Rob92Rob92 Member

Same here with the email @ 12:01 AM central time.

• @kyaky said:
    omg a new thread. if you give me your email, I will meet your needs.

This seems to be an actually useful thread. I also got the e-mail. Is this just a precaution or did someone cross the line and "hack" them?

• VirtovoVirtovo Member
    edited April 2014

@mpkossen said:
    This seems to be an actually useful thread. I also got the e-mail. Is this just a precaution or did someone cross the line and "hack" them?

Think it might be best to encourage some patience until @GreenValueHost can reply with an official line. Don't want this thread to turn into another mess.

• kyakykyaky Member

@mpkossen said:

sure, it does. :)

• GunterGunter Member
    edited April 2014

Hacked.

Or some idiot thought it would be fun to ininate a mass password reset.

• gestiondbigestiondbi Member, Patron Provider

Maybe link to yesterday DDoS ??

• matthewvzmatthewvz Member, Host Rep

Got it as well. sigh

• GVH has not issued any formal announcement, have they?

That's pretty unprofessional.

Thanked by 1darkshire
  • Anyone can request a password reset on your behalf, all they need to know is your email address.

• BabahBabah Member

heartbleed issue?

Thanked by 1ErawanArifNugroho
  • GVH hacked. More news at 10.

• @rds100 said:
    Anyone can request a password reset on your behalf, all they need to know is your email address.

I doubt that someone for no reason went and triggered a reset on everyone's password. They would need to have all of our emails to start with.

• PcJamesy said: I doubt that someone for no reason went and triggered a reset on everyone's password. They would need to have all of our emails to start with.

Is "Drama" no reason? :)

Your email address could be obtained from one of the several previously leaked databases from various providers.

• ub3rstarub3rstar Member
    edited April 2014

I got an email too saying my password was reset and I didn't want it reset. I sent a ticket but still no reply. I'd like to see what the reason for this is.

UPDATE: Hmmm... I just got a reply and it seems they don't know (yet) why we recieved a password reset email. If it was them then they would've probably been able to tell me right away they did. Here's what they said:

Hello,

We are looking into this.

• karjajkarjaj Member
    edited April 2014

Same message here and my VPS on NY1 node is down... :/

edit: VPS up, after 16min downtime..

• @ub3rstar said:
    I got an email too saying my password was reset and I didn't want it reset. I sent a ticket but still no reply. I'd like to see what the reason for this is.

UPDATE: Hmmm... I just got a reply and it seems they don't know (yet) why we recieved a password reset email. If it was them then they would've probably been able to tell me right away they did. Here's what they said:

We are looking into this.

Later they will send you "fixed"

• also received this password reset mail. i quickly login with the password in mail and reset password again

• NekkiNekki Veteran

Same ticket response here. Slightly concerning they don't know why the emails were sent.

Thanked by 1mpkossen
  • @Nekki said:
    Same ticket response here. Slightly concerning they don't know why the emails were sent.

Could be that their first liners aren't kept up to speed on all things happening in the company.

• ricardoricardo Member
    edited April 2014

rds100 said: Your email address could be obtained from one of the several previously leaked databases from various providers.

No, passwords were successfully reset. The best someone could do with just a list of email addresses is initiate the password reset that provides a link to a password reset. This is either a hack or a password reset by the provider.

Thanked by 2rds100 mpkossen
  • i thought at least the client email database was hacked, based on they don't know what happened. don't know if there's any other things lost

• Ya I got it too yet the ticket reply is lacking. When I hop on to a computer in the morning I hope we will get some more info. Heck I reset my password just to be sure. Checked all my email history to double check if someone was in it and a couple other things. Please tell us what is happening @GreenValueHost else paranoia is gonna set in. I don't have enough of a brain to deal with more.

This discussion has been closed.