Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Oversold Brand in Chicago [8GB KVM]
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Oversold Brand in Chicago [8GB KVM]

AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
edited July 2013 in General

So with everyone jumping on the band wagon and one oversold brand even being names after riding the wave of oversold brands I am starting to think.. why the hell not.

I said it would happen and only damage the overall quality of the industry when the first one came out and no one believed me then and everyone seems to want it regardless so why not.

I am suggesting as a starter package.

KVM
4 x CPU Cores
8GB RAM
50GB Disk (SSD Cached)
3 TB Bandwidth @ gbit
2 x IPv4
100 x IPv6

50GB Offsite backup that can be supplied as NFS/rsync/cifs/iscsi
Free basic cPanel account for DNS management etc
3rd Month free (account credit)

$5 p/month

Thoughts?

Ant.

Thanked by 3Asim zhuanyi Trav

Comments

• DerekDerek Member
    edited July 2013

I'm down, looking for investors?

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

investors ?

Nope :)

• Will it tell me stories before bed?

• @AnthonySmith said:
    investors ?

Nope :)

I would assume by investors he means customers :P

@MrObvious said:
    I would assume by investors he means customers :P

Ah ok :)

Well that is the idea haha.

@serverian said:
    Will it tell me stories before bed?

That would require third party software and is beyond the scope of support on offer :)

Thanked by 1trexos
  • support123support123 Member
    edited July 2013

@AnthonySmith said:
    That would require third party software and is beyond the scope of support on offer :)

LOL :D

• This is beyond overselling, I'm not sure if serious or just an attempt to fill LET first page with "Oversold brand in [pick your country]"

Thanked by 1Radi
  • @AnthonySmith said:
    .. everyone seems to want it regardless ..

I think we just like big numbers for small $ these days.

• IvanIvan Member

Make it happen

Thanked by 2Asim Relip

@DalComp said:
    This is beyond overselling, I'm not sure if serious or just an attempt to fill LET first page with "Oversold brand in [pick your country]"

Not really, 2 x E5-2620 6 x 3TB SATA + 2 x 128GB SSD, 256GB Ram, dual Gbit ports teamed, I would be doubling up the Ram sold, so 2x oversold which is FAR less than many others which seem to be perfectly acceptable.

Thanked by 1mpkossen
  • only damage the overall quality of the industry

I don't think Overzold or Waveride have damaged the overrall quality of the industry, their customers seem to be happy.

• IvanIvan Member
    edited July 2013

@AnthonySmith said: 2 x E5-2620 6 x 3TB SATA + 2 x 128GB SSD, 256GB Ram, dual Gbit ports teamed

Nice......

• @AnthonySmith send me order link when it's available.

@gsrdgrdghd said:
    I don't think Overzold or Waveride have damaged the overrall quality of the industry, their customers seem to be happy.

I completely agree, just to clarify my point as I may not have made it well, I am saying that this was my fear when the first of them came out, while these guys have done it very well (and hats off to them) others have not done such a great job, so my initial concerns were wrong, I was wrong.

The bottom line as you have illustrated is if the people managing it are capable (which I am) then customers are happy and it works out fine.

• That makes around $320/month for 512GB ram sold with 8GB slices. Are you going to colo it or rent it? If rent, can you PM me the provider?

• DalCompDalComp Member
    edited July 2013

My small comment on 10GB RAM for $7 is coming faster than I thought.

• Why not, I'll get one when/if you do it.

• yywudiyywudi Member

sounds really impossible... just pick me an link if it comes ture!!!

edited July 2013

@serverian said:
    That makes around $320/month for 512GB ram sold with 8GB slices. Are you going to colo it or rent it? If rent, can you PM me the provider?

That's about right yes, rent with buy down, just throwing the idea out initially, I may do 6GB for $5 and 8GB for $7 not 100% set in stone yet.

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited July 2013

IPs part looks stange :P Two IPv4's are direct expense for you, nothing to oversell here and 100 IPv6... would you really assign so many individual addresses to each account? :) Or do you prefer to answer tons of "heeey, I got only 20 IPv6 addresses, where are rest of them" tickets? :)
    IPv6 subnet have sense, hundred of individual /128 just don't... so thats here most likely just decoration to advertise in "a lots of everything" fashion :)

PS. Who will complain about terrible overselling in hosting industry then?! You can't do this to yourself :P

@Spirit said:
    IPs part looks stange :P Two IPv4's are direct expense for you, nothing to oversell here and 100 IPv6... would you really assign so many individual addresses to each account? :) Or do you prefer to answer tons of "heeey, I got only 20 IPv6 addresses, where are rest of them" tickets? :)
    IPv6 subnet have sense, hundred of individual /128 just don't... so thats here most likely just decoration to advertise in "a lots of everything" fashion :)

PS. Who will complain about terrible overselling in hosting industry then?! You can't do this to yourself :P

Thanks for the feedback, noted and I will take that in to consideration.

Don't worry I will still complain but this time I will have metrics to back me up :p

• Guess no one cares about quality of networks in this type of product? I mean what is the bandwidth blend like and what speeds are we looking at?

Thanked by 1seriesn
  • How are you going to be able to oversell KVM, @AnthonySmith

@concerto49 said:
    Guess no one cares about quality of networks in this type of product? I mean what is the bandwidth blend like and what speeds are we looking at?

Nope, I came to that conclusion myself too, no one does care, the market wants RAM with a stable enough connection, the other oversold brands have proven this.

Looking further in to this I could also do the same in the UK, Germany, Netherlands and possibly even Dallas but that may be pushing it.

@Jeffrey said:
    How are you going to be able to oversell KVM, AnthonySmith

KVM Ram can be oversold just as OpenVZ can, just not the disk space, not sure I understand the question.

I understand that most people just know which script to run or buttons to click when it comes to deploying a KVM node and pay no attention to how it 'actually' can work if set up specifically with over provisioning in mind or they rely on solusvm to do everything for them, I am not one of those people so I do not anticipate any problems with this if managed correctly.

• SpiritSpirit Member

@AnthonySmith you have a lot of plans :) Lets talk about REAL thing. I was about to ask (read: push) you about this few times.
    How's going your plan about lowendspirit NORWAY location? :)

• trexostrexos Member

@AnthonySmith said:
    Looking further in to this I could also do the same in the UK, Germany, Netherlands and possibly even Dallas but that may be pushing it.

This would be awesome! Please offer a EU location :) Maybe Germany? :p

@Spirit & @AnthonySmith
    LowEndSpirit Norway location sounds awesome too :D

@Spirit west coast first, I have not found a NO suitable host yet but open to suggestions.

• If it stays like this I'm definitely gonna grab one! And the 2 IPv4's make it even more interesting.

I'm not sure many people care about 100 IPv6's though.