Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone use ColoCrossing?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Anyone use ColoCrossing?

AH-DominicAH-Dominic Member
edited June 2012 in General

Just out of interest....
Does anybody use colocrossing?

Comments

• CoreyCorey Member
    edited June 2012

I used them, wasn't too happy with the support so I pulled my server the first month. Here is my story-

Server was booting fine at the office, sent it to them and they couldn't get it to turn on. I suggested that it may have a bad stick of ram(in our experience ram sometimes goes bad during shipment somehow) because they acted like they didn't know how to proceed and that it would cost us a lot of money if they had to find out where to start. (As Jon insisted I put here -) On 10/27/2011 (the day your server was racked) it was showing problems. You, on 10/27/2011 moments later suggested the memory was bad and to inspect/troubleshoot that.

They troubleshooted and said a stick of ram was bad, we told them to toss the ram. (As Jon insisted I put here -) The system would not post consistently with the Rendition stick installed. No video and no USB power. You had mis-matched memory installed in the system. 3 Sticks of Corsair, 1 of Rendition.

Not sure why brand of ram matters?

Server was turned on but then we had a kernel panic so I asked them to reboot it. They couldn't get the server to power back on. I asked them to troubleshoot it and they said the front panel pins were not connected correctly and that the board was shorting out on the chasis (board shorting out wtf? its in a supermicro chasis with a plastic thing on the bottom to prevent the board from EVER touching the metal, never had this problem either, and the pins were connected correctly at the office before we sent it there.).

So we got it booted up and then suddenly a few days later we weren't able to access the server. I asked them to see what was wrong and they told us AGAIN that the front panel pins weren't connected correctly and that we would have to pay more money for them to fix this issue. (sales guy even suggested we buy another server from them because of the trouble with this one)

By this point I was BOILING with anger because I felt like they were trying to get more $$ from us since the sales guy gave us a better than list price deal on the colo. Not once did I express this anger to them though. I politely opened a ticket for them to cancel our services (1 week in), and that they could keep the full month of colo fee and tech fees in exchange for letting us out of our contract (wasn't a month to month contract). (As Jon insisted I put here -) Given the problems with your equipment, we, as a courtesy, let you out of the contract without penalty.

We drove to the DC to pick up the server since it was more cost effective than having them ship it back to us.

Needless to say this exact server is sitting in corexchange right now with 0 issues.

Thanked by 1lele0108
  • AH-DominicAH-Dominic Member
    edited June 2012

@liam said: lowendbox is.

Ooh nice. Just got a low end dedicated server from them and I can't find any proper bad reviews, so I hope it goes well!

@Corey said: I used them, wasn't too happy with the support so I pulled my servers the first month.

Got a response in 2 mins from them

• CoreyCorey Member
    edited June 2012

I also just got this response from them via email.

CC

Hi Corey,

I just saw this: http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/3238/anyone-use-colocrossing

Did something happen with our support that you didn’t like? From what I remember you sent us very old hardware that was broken.

Regards,

Jon Biloh
    VP Operations, ColoCrossing.com
    Office: +1 (800) 518-9716 ext 101
    Mobile: +1 (716) 949-3858
    Fax: +1 (716) 335-9628

Corey
    Nothing was wrong with the hardware, you can see what I didn't like here - http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/3238/anyone-use-colocrossing

CC

Corey,

I’m really not impressed by this. Noted.

Regards,

Jon Biloh

Corey

I'm not trying to impress Colo Crossing. I'm trying to help out the community by telling them our experience.

CC

I’m doing a fact finding effort and will get back to you.

Regards,

Jon Biloh

Corey

No problem let me know any inconsistencies in this story because it was so long ago I can barely remember :)

• Hi

Hmm, that's strange! I am sure it will be fine, as I've seen lots of good reviews of them on WHT

• CoreyCorey Member
    edited June 2012

As have I that's why we initially tried them :)

@AH-Dominic said: Hi

Hmm, that's strange! I am sure it will be fine, as I've seen lots of good reviews of them on WHT

• @Corey said: As have I that's why we initially tried them :)

I'll let you know how I get on. Initially, I've got a set up window of 4-8 hours so hopefully it will be within that! :)

• CoreyCorey Member
    edited June 2012

[@AH-Dominic] they are monitoring this thread, so anything you say here will probably be fulfilled :)

That is 1up for you!

(btw guys for some reason I am unable to @ him correctly because of his dash?

• AH-DominicAH-Dominic Member
    edited June 2012

@AH-Dominic Test. edit: yep your right!

well we'll see how my initial views of colocrossing go once i've received my server.

• ColoCrossing has been fantastic in my experience. The company which I work for develops and hosts back-ends for medical record keeping; and all of our hosting goes through ColoCrossing. I recommend them.

• Glad to hear that :) I hope it will be the same for me.

• Haha, super epic.

Thanked by 1AH-Dominic
  • edited June 2012

We had a few initial troubles with CC, due to a delayed server delivery from them and not being able to get out of the contract.

After some wrangles and delays, they made good with a very generous offer to make things right. Jon has kept in contact since.

Network and support has been very good so far

• We have two cabinets from them in Chicago and one in Dallas (DR). I've got no complaints. I know they aren't the least expensive option for us, but the quality speaks for itself.

• Yep, that's also what others have said. Thanks guys!

• CoreyCorey Member
    edited June 2012

Just a recap from Jon. I tried to include all of what he wanted me to include in the original post but I couldn't quite fit it all in. So I spared him the trouble of having to create an account.

I would like for you to clear up some misrepresentations and confusion. If you are not willing to do so, I’ll create an account myself:

1. Identify that given the problems with your equipment, we, as a courtesy, let you out of the contract without penalty.

2. Identify that on 10/27/2011 (the day your server was racked) it was showing problems. You, on 10/27/2011 moments later suggested the memory was bad and to inspect/troubleshoot that.

3. Identify that you had mis-matched memory installed in the system. 3 Sticks of Corsair, 1 of Rendition.

4. Identify that the system would not post consistently with the Rendition stick installed. No video and no USB power.

Just as a review:
    1. The power button was not functional. This was due to bad wiring.
    2. The server was grounding out due to the positioning of the chassis and the components inside of the chassis
    3. The RAM had to be tested 1 by 1 and multiple tests were performed to validate the bad stick of ram.

You have aggravated me a little bit complaining about our service when all replies by ColoCrossing staff were prompt, polite and effective. You have no cause to be unhappy with us as we were kind enough to let you walk away from the executed contract.

PS: It’s not professional to be posting our email log publicly. It shows poorly for you, and, as I’m sure you’re aware, conversations in email between two parties are done so with the expectation of privacy.

}
    }
    }
    }
    }
    }
    }
    }
    }
    }
    }
    }

So apparently since they were 'kind enough to let YDGH out of a contract' ( no way to try their service without a contract ), I shouldn't be posting my review.

Just as a review:
    1) It was when we sent it to you
    2) Huh? please draw us a diagram... when I got the server back it was functioning just fine and no grounding issues.
    3)I know how to test ram. The ONLY way is to test one by one when the server will not post (it had I believe 4 sticks of ram, so they had to reboot 4 times, which btw they charged us a hefty remote hands fee for.)

If i remember correctly they even tried to charge us for racking the server but I got that waived.

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member
    edited June 2012

@Corey said: You have aggravated me a little bit complaining about our service when all replies by ColoCrossing staff were prompt, polite and effective. You have no cause to be unhappy with us as we were kind enough to let you walk away from the executed contract.

Well, quoting @Corey is not fair, when he is simply reposting Jon from ColoCrossing, but I didn't feel Corey was harsh about your service that you should get your panties in such a bunch.

It looks like a case of two not mixing well, but the fact he was let out of a contract is probably much cheaper than the bad press he could have caused for ColoCrossing.

I've seen @Corey have some troubles with other DC's in the past, but as bothered as Jon seems to be here, I'd probably avoid the risk if I have to sign a contract. But that is worth less than a cup of Starbucks anyway, since I only rent a few cabinets as is.

• CoreyCorey Member
    edited June 2012

We decided to not post a review of ColoCrossing because of how ColocateUSA treated us. We didn't want to burn any bridges at the time, but seeing as how we know we are def not trying them again (Happy in 3 other DC's) it's time to let the cat out of the bag. We were JUST getting out of ColocateUSA when we tried ColoCrossing... so it wasn't a good time to screw with us :)

• Doesn't seem like you're letting anything out of the bag Corey. To be honest it seems like ColoCrossing handled things very well here.

I've got to ask, what sort of hardware were you sending to a datacenter (production environment) with mixed memory? Really poor practice there.

• @EricCubixCloud uses them

• CoreyCorey Member
    edited June 2012

@mikehighend

Supermicro Chasis
    Q9550
    Supermicro Board
    8GB Ram (all same speed, mixing brand is moot)
    HW Raid LSI Controller
    2 300GB Raptors

I've got to ask mikehighend how are you affiliated with CC? Seems like you aren't really involved with the community at all until this post comes up. ColoCrossing didn't handle it well or we would still be with them. What sort of operation do you run where you are misinformed about how the brand of ram affects how a server operates in a (production environment/ or not).

What I'm letting out of the bag - is my review. SO seems like I'm letting something out of the bag.

• Well...I've just got the server log in details.

• CoreyCorey Member

@mikehighend some interesting digging on you.

We all suspect ChicagoVPS works at or somehow personally knows someone at CC but haven't been able to make the connection.
    http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/60760#Comment_60760
    http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/74363#Comment_74363
    http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/59344#Comment_59344

So mikehighend you work for a very large datacenter operator, but you also work on some medical thing and have tons of servers in cabs @ cc? Fishy!

• CVPS_ChrisCVPS_Chris Member, Patron Provider
    edited June 2012

Hey everyone.

Colocrossing is great. I have over 100 servers with them and could not have been any happier the past few years. Premium bandwidth, premium data center, premium support. That is what Colocrossing offers and it shows.

@Corey, seems to me like you were using ancient hardware, maybe upgrading in the future, this wouldnt happen.

PS. I am so happy with them I am sending 15 machines to their new location to test out. :)

@Corey, I do not work at Colocrossing, so we can wipe that off the slate. As for Mike, he is a long term client of Colocrossing as we have met in the past.

• CoreyCorey Member

@CVPS_Chris it was bought new 6 months prior to sending it there :) Thanks.

• @CVPS_Chris said: Colocrossing is great. I have over 100 servers with them

Your business partner is one of the main admins there, correct?

Yup, that's right. All of our VPS nodes are located in the ColoCrossing data center - looking at moving our cPanel server from Colo@ to this location in Chicago.

In general, I like them! Great connectivity, zero network issues and fair pricing.

@Corey said: @CVPS_Chris it was bought new 6 months prior to sending it there :) Thanks

Still terrible hardware.

• Off ebay?

• @CVPS_Chris said: Still terrible hardware.

Terrible? :s

@ShardHost said: Terrible? :s

Yeah =/ But I guess you can only use what you can afford so Im not knocking anyone for that

• Never had an issue with SM Chassis/Boards