Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EFF will launch a free certificate authority
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

EFF will launch a free certificate authority

NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

Not a big fan of the EFF myself but those are big and great news:

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2014/11/certificate-authority-encrypt-entire-web

Comments

• Great, first it was cloudflare with the free ssl and now this, let's hope it lower the prices from big companies that issue SSL certs

Thanked by 1linuxthefish
  • Looks like the money printers might have their value lessend by this!

• <3 EFF!

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited November 2014

Bad news for jobs that rely on certificate authorities bringing home the bacon. Good news for everyone else. This has the potential to turn the market upside down, and it was surely always something we knew would happen eventually. The term "trusted" has always been the difference between high cost and no cost, and it's been an expensive club to join.

Interested to watch this unfold. In before certificate authorities start paying big bucks to anyone who will leave the EFF off the "trusted authority" list.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

I always knew this would happen, it was only a matter of time, honestly I think in the long term it will be an excellent thing, I do feel for those as @jar said who's companies will simply crumble as a result.

Thanked by 3jar netomx Pwner
  • @Jar What do you think about the regulation, I mean is there a specific requirement in the US for certificate authorities?

Thanked by 1Gadelhas

@vRozenSch00n said:
    Jar What do you think about the regulation, I mean is there a specific requirement in the US for certificate authorities?

I always assumed it was just a matter of private agreements with major software manufacturers. Truthfully I never researched how to get on that list, but given that the software manufacturers are the key, I always assumed it was a private agreement.

Thanked by 1vRozenSch00n
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited November 2014

Jar said: Bad news for jobs that rely on certificate authorities bringing home the bacon.

Yeah and the abolition of slavery in the USA was a disaster for all those people employed in the slave trading industry, etc. Poor sobs, how were they going to "bring home the bacon" after that.

Jar said: paying big bucks to anyone who will leave the EFF off the "trusted authority" list.

They're starting with Mozilla, also Google will be hard-pressed to find excuses not to support this. And these two are already 70% of the browser market. So the ship [will have] already sailed.

Slavery? Calm down bro ;)

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep

Exciting...

• Wowzers!!!

• Maybe just another CAcert.org.

Thanked by 1switsys
  • vRozenSch00nvRozenSch00n Member
    edited November 2014

Jar said: Slavery? Calm down bro ;)

You haven't seen what's really happening in my beloved motherland by itself not to mention external influence ;)

The fuel just raised by 30% yesterday :(

Thanked by 1jar
  • perennateperennate Member, Host Rep

mycloud said: Maybe just another CAcert.org.

They have support from Mozilla already.

• perennate said: They have support from Mozilla already.

Really? I thought Mozilla turned them down - scores of applications use Mozilla's certs, Mono to name a big one.

• @perennate said:

^ This is (one of) the differentiating factors.

I'm sure CAcert.org setup, and only then sought partners/supporters/sponsors.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • @perennate said:

CAcert.org got Gentoo, OpenBSD, openSUSE, and etc.

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

mycloud said: CAcert.org got Gentoo, OpenBSD, openSUSE, and etc.

But they didn't got the mayor software shippers.

• @Nyr said:
    But they didn't got the mayor software shippers.

Then what?

• Looks very interesting, especially the way the intend on people issuing the certs.

• "Let’s Encrypt CA" <--- it's specially for LETers ;))

Thanked by 2netomx ihatetonyy
  • RadiRadi Host Rep, Veteran

If they provide free trusted SSL, I am in. :p

• ben78ben78 Member
    edited November 2014

100% encrypted web?

Sounds like fun! Bad new for LET/LEB though (BSA?;)

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

I hope they will also put up a free tld, totally free for a totally encrypted web.

Thanked by 3switsys upfreak netomx
  • @Maounique said:
    I hope they will also put up a free tld, totally free for a totally encrypted web.

There are already some free TLDs, I like .cf alot :)

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

c1bl said: There are already some free TLDs, I like .cf alot :)

Not "totally free" at all.

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

CA must have big insurance policies!

• @Maounique said:

Luke .onion?

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

No, I mean one for all net, maybe a different root DNS altogether, a distributed one, it is possible.

• StartCom has been issuing free trusted certs since forever.