Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Host1Free Free VPS, anyone heard about this? - Page 5
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Host1Free Free VPS, anyone heard about this?

Comments

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

Mine too

nevermind, I clicked boot and worked

• earlearl Member

Node 9.. took about 12 hours to approve, pretty awesome so far...

dd if=/dev/zero of=iotest bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync && rm -fr iotest
    16384+0 records in
    16384+0 records out
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 12.1432 seconds, 88.4 MB/s

wget cachefly.cachefly.net/100mb.test -O /dev/null
    2012-05-29 11:45:13 (33.9 MB/s) - `/dev/null' saved [104857600/104857600]

processor : 1
    vendor_id : GenuineIntel
    cpu family : 6
    model : 42
    model name : Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz
    stepping : 7
    cpu MHz : 424.030

• Hello Friends,

I am a member of Host1Free community and I will try to clear some uncertainties about Host1Free free VPS hosting:

1) Host1Free and Host1Plus servers are unrelated at the field of their infrastructure. Host1Free and Host1Plus customers are hosted at different data centers, so Host1Free issues doesn't influence Host1Plus performance at all.

2) It's only the beginning, and H1F is growing (by performance and users count) everyday. Firstly we had stability issues, but it was mainly related with OpenVZ bugs. As major part of Open VZ bugs are fixed now (not all, of course), performance got relatively better.

Current load is partly caused by abuse of our services (we are working really hard to prevent our real users (and their servers) from spam bots, thieves, hackers, etc.).

3) We started approving servers manually, so the load issue, caused by creating too many machines at the same moment is fixed now. Currently there are 9 nodes, and there will much more of them. Everyone who wants to become member of Host1Plus community, has chance to do that. And it will be the same... for ever! :-)

4) H1F Free VPS will always be free. No additional options or excuses. It's not beta or trial VPS, it's just free VPS.

5) We are not going anywhere. 4 years ago we started to provide shared hosting services, and many people were shouting, that we will not last longer than few months. Look - now we are able to give you free VPS. :-)

If you have any additional questions - please ask, I hope I will be able to help you once again.

• sandrosandro Member

Hi,
    so all the problems on node2 (apparently the slowest ) will be resolved as you mitigate the abusers? Why does someone have a higher cpu clock?

• Hey Sandro,

The plan about node2 is like this:

1) Clear abusers (partly checked)
    2) Start using SSD for cache (already ordered, waiting for the installation)
    3) If nothing will help, migrate the users to other nodes (which already work stably) and destroy the node2.

The problems will be solved (and we are solving them right now) in one way or another, but it can take some time. :-)

Thanked by 1sandro
  • sandrosandro Member
    edited May 2012

great thanks! I know this is a stupid question with a free service...do you guarantee, well better: do you estimate an average uptime when things will settle down?

• I hope it will be 99.9% :-). But as it is free server, there will always be some troubles, related with the users. You know what i mean, it's hard to forecast exact numbers.

Our free shared hosting servers' uptime in last 30 days were 99.945%. We hope we will reach same result with free VPS also.

• DomDom Member

@Starwind - What's the chance of the clocks/time being corrected on the Nodes (seems to be an issue on a number of them, including Node4 which i'm on)?

• nimdynimdy Member
    edited May 2012

@Starwind - and node 9 has clock issues (about 5mins out on the hour, plus I think it has UTC wrong, so whichever timezone I set my VPS to it is always wrong by an hour and 5 mins.

[edit]
    Seems to be working. I can play with Google Auth now :)

@Starwind - is this strictly one VPS per person?

• MrDOSMrDOS Member
    edited May 2012

@Starwind, your SolusVM login bridge (http://members.host1free.com/login/) doesn't seem to be working. When I enter my credentials, it takes me to a SolusVM login page displaying an "incorrect password" error. If I enter the same login details on that page directly, it works just fine.

Thanks for the free VM!

• MrDOSMrDOS Member

Does it make you feel any better if I tell you that one doesn't work either? ;) And the one I linked to does have a "VPS Panel" login form on it.

• Idiots hammering the nodes with dd and blowfish benches -_-'

• TaylorTaylor Member

Just got mine on node 8, maybe some tests later? :P

• djvdorpdjvdorp Member

Node8 here too:

root@freevps:~# wget freevps.us/downloads/bench.sh -O - -o /dev/null|bash
    CPU model : Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz
    Number of cores : 2
    CPU frequency : 424.030 MHz
    Total amount of ram : 128 MB
    Total amount of swap : 640 MB
    System uptime : 5 min,
    Download speed from CacheFly: 11.9MB/s
    Download speed from Linode, Atlanta GA: 1.39MB/s
    Download speed from Linode, Dallas, TX: 803KB/s
    Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 671KB/s
    Download speed from Linode, London, UK: 8.32MB/s
    Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 4.14MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 219KB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 377KB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 438KB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 499KB/s
    I/O speed : 58.7 MB/s

• sandrosandro Member

mine on node9 won't boot anymore :S

• earlearl Member

@sandro said: mine on node9 won't boot anymore :S

Same with mine!! I'm on node 9 as well While solusvm says the VPS is online I still can't connect to it.. it's been pretty much unusable from the start really..

• MrDOSMrDOS Member

Node10's down for me too. Oh well, fun while it lasted.

Mine's online

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Is this still going ? It would be amazing to last this long :o
    M

• u4iau4ia Member

Node 7 is still online

• OliverOliver Member, Host Rep

Mine on node 2 is up and has been for 11 days. :)

• ChanChan Member
    edited June 2012

Mine on node 8:

root@host1free:~# uptime

23:14:25 up 12 days, 13:13, 1 user, load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

Not bad at all

I signed for one too, since they lasted this long might as well worth a check.
    I am not sure yet what will use it for, but I know someone who is looking for a place to host a blog. Might throw a kloxo in it and teach her how to use it. If the blog cant be moved because of instability and such, at least will know hot to operate a kloxo :P
    M

• KairusKairus Member

I can't log into the members page :/ goes to a white screen, anyone else have that problem?

• rolz14rolz14 Member
    edited June 2012

So far so good. 20 days uptime, node 8, only using it for a small script at the moment...can't really trust a free VM for much else

• Hey Fellas,

Thanks for your active commenting on this thread.

Be sure - it's not 1-day project. We are not going to charge anyone for free VPS.

And we are not going to kill the project at any time. Why should we?

Thanks for notifying about the issues. Node 9 problems will be fixed in few minutes.

Don't hesitate to help each other if you have experience at this area, or use Host1Free community forum - you will always find some helpful guys there.

And please do not write those 'fun is over', 'at least i had some fun', etc. It hurts our feelings :-)

Cheers!
    Host1Free

edited June 2012

Nope, I am very careful with that. As soon as I will get it, will also test seriously. I wasnt giving it a chance but the comments so far look encouraging. I hope you set the standards for really free VPSes.
    M

• Just a small notice:

There are a bit more than 7000 (7031 to be exact) Free VPS given at the moment. :-)

Guys, did you become our community members on Facebook? We would be glad to have you there.

Cheers,
    H1F