Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Bad experience with ChicagoVPS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Bad experience with ChicagoVPS

I ended up buying a VPS from this company. They are advertised a lot on these sites.
It worked very good as long as there were no problems.
But when the problems started there were no help to get.
So I cancelled, but they kept charging my credit card and just ignores all requests of giving me back the money.
When I open a ticket they just close it and ignores me.

Anyone know what to do?

Also anyone have a good advice for a better provider in this price range?

Thanked by 1princeshoko

Comments

• said: but they kept charging my credit card and just ignores all requests

give your credit card company a call, most likely you can get your money back from your credit card company.

Thanked by 1linuxthefish
  • netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

Welcome to LowEndHelpDesk, please answer these questions:

1. What problems?
    2. How can they charge your CC if you already cancel their services?
    3. What is the timeframe between tickets?
    4. Are you bumping the tickets?
  • NekkiNekki Veteran
    edited October 2014

If you were genuinely paying directly by CC, just contact your card issuer, you'll be covered if you explain you were charged after cancellation.

If you were paying via paypal and you forgot to cancel your subscription, you'll just have to contact CVPS and wait for a response.

• soapsoap Member
    edited October 2014

@Nekki said:
    If you were paying via paypal and you forgot to cancel your subscription, you'll just have to > contact CVPS and wait for a response.

This is what happened. I contacted them many times. It's always assigning to the billing team. And then the CEO Chris just close the ticket. I kept replying and then he said to contact paypal. But they can't help as it's a service and not an item.

Thanked by 1princeshoko
  • @soap said:
    This is what happened. I contacted them many times. It's always assigning to the billing team. And then the CEO Chris just close the ticket. I kept replying and then he said to contact paypal. But they can't help as it's a service and not an item.

Hmmm, tbh CVPS usually just convert it to credit and add that to your account.

Just make the claim via PP, so long as CVPS don't contest you'll get your money back. Possibly Chris prefers to handle refunds in this manner.

• @soap said:

Sadly in this case it's cut and dry. If you forgot to cancel the subscription in your PayPal account, then even PayPal will say it's your fault (and no, PayPal won't bother refunding it as it's your failure to cancel the subscription.)

However, it's childish for @CVPS_Chris to not hear you out and deal with the issue if he is in fact doing that.

• @soap said:

The exact same thing (I forgot to cancel my subscription) happened to me today with OnePoundWebHosting. My service was already terminated/cancelled so it transferred into account credits. I contacted Stuart, he refunded me within the hour (props to @onepound), so I don't know why CVPS is telling you to contact PayPal...

• MunMun Member

Hmm, you had a bad experience with VPS, this sounds quite familiar, maybe you should read a review or two before purchasing a service next time.

Thanked by 1akz
  • @netomx said:
    1. What problems?

The rebuild didn't work and I never got my website back online.

1. How can they charge your CC if you already cancel their services?

I used Paypal.

1. What is the timeframe between tickets?

I only have one ticket I keep replying to.

• If you are paying with Paypal, the billing problem is you, not CVPS.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • LeeLee Veteran

@soap

So really you are not quite being truthful at the start.

You setup a paypal subscription and you forgot to cancel it, it's your responsibility as it's only in your control to cancel that.

Once you noticed you had forgot to cancel it you had been charged again or multiple times before you noticed.

If you cancelled it though I would at least expect them to refund the element that they received after the service period ended. If Chris won't do anything just raise a dispute.

• @W1V_Lee said:
    You setup a paypal subscription and you forgot to cancel it, it's your responsibility as it's only in your control to cancel that.

Yes, I didn't cancel it. I forgot all about it.
    But why do you think it's my responsibility?
    The seller can cancel it as well as I can.

I've had recurring payment plans several times before and never cancelled or had problems like this.

• LeeLee Veteran

soap said: The seller can cancel it as well as I can.

No they can't. When you pay by paypal and setup the subscription yourself they can't cancel it for you.

• @soap said:

Because you decided to purchase the service using your PayPal account.

I'm not saying they should keep your money, but the situation is of your making. I've certainly had it happen before.

• ATHKATHK Member
    edited October 2014

@W1V_Lee said:

Both parties can cancel a recurring payment.

EDIT: Point 7 - https://www.paypal.com/au/webapps/mpp/ua/recurringpymts-full

Thanked by 1vladka24
  • LeeLee Veteran

If the provider has their system setup properly, unfortunately most do not and therefore can't cancel it.

Bottom line, you as the customer by using paypal put yourself in control.

• LeeLee Veteran

Not quite.

"Buyers or senders of funds may cancel a Recurring Payment at any time up to 3 business days prior to the date the payment is scheduled to take place."

I know there is a similar obligation on Merchants though.

• @W1V_Lee said:
    I know there is a similar obligation on Merchants though.

it was close enough :) .

Regardless of it their WHMCS or system is setup correctly they do have access to PayPals website so they have no excuse IMO.

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited October 2014

soap said: But why do you think it's my responsibility?

Because you authorized paypal to send payment every month to a certain address. You're in control. It's agreement between you and paypal not between you and host.

Thanked by 1support123
  • Recurring payments can be cancelled in paypal by the user

• soap said: Yes, I didn't cancel it. I forgot all about it.

The seller can cancel it as well as I can.

If you do not have the motivation to protect your own finances why would anybody else do it for you?

Thanked by 2Pwner AnthonySmith
  • akzakz Member

while yes it was the ops responsibility, an honest host would just refund the payment.

• @soap , how much have you been charged until now?

• It's more of OPs fault, and what's more is that OP is trying to put all the blame on CVPS, though CVPS should refund it's ultimately up to CVPS if they wish to IMHO

• said: Also anyone have a good advice for a better provider in this price range?

I'm not sure how the quality of a provider relates to you not cancelling your PayPal subscription.

Having said that, if you have submitted a ticket and you did not get a response, I'd say that's not good either. So, if you did submit a ticket, please share it with us here.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Asking you to open a dispute is probably bait imo.

I would not refund you either but you would get your credit.

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited October 2014

Is that a practise that is specific for the hosting industry? I run a business myself and in our sector, it would be a matter of course to give the customer the choice if he paid an invoice twice by mistake:

1./ Either refund the double payment

2./ or to set it off against the next invoice.

But we deal with thousands of dollars with each invoice, not with 7-10 dollars. I would understand if your reason for this is the loss you suffer from transaction fees.

Thanked by 1vRozenSch00n
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

@Amitz here is my standard rant about subscriptions: :)

Well this is a super budget side of the market, not sure what industry you are in but it does not sound like it :)

By the time you have logged in to your VPS for the first time you have already received 12 bits on information regarding your subscription, how it works, how to cancel and the fact they are not refunded (between me and paypal that is).

At the time of cancellation you get a message asking you to cancel your subscription and then a reminder emails to cancel your subscription.

Then if you open a billing ticket you need to confirm you have read a KB letting you know all of the above, all the way through you are made aware even before you pay that if yo chose to set up a subscription it will not be refunded if you fail to manage it (alternate methods of payment are available),

I honestly don't think that could be made any more clear, if however you chose to ignore all that (it is resent with every invoice and invoice reminder and payment confirmation), then cancel, ignore the reminders to cancel your subscription and expect me to fix that for you.... think again.

At this point things are no longer automated, I have to spend my time dealing with it and I have to pay the fee's for you being lazy or for not bothering to look at any of the (probably 25+) bits of info pre, during, post purchase/service.

I don't work for free, I don't manage your paypal account, it is entirely your responsibility just like your own bank account, you dropped the ball why ask me to pick it up?

Now.... with all that said, I am always more than happy to give credit for other service when this happens, and I think that is fair no one can say they did not know this in advance and if they missed it somehow no one could ever say I did not make all reasonable efforts to make you aware.

Despite this the standard response to simply pointing all this out to customers who want a refund anyway is usually aggressive, rude, threatening, childish etc and then they run to paypal, lose and don't even end up with credit as the account gets terminated.

I probably have to deal with exactly this 6 times a year at best guess, before I plugged every possible information hole it used to happen about 6 times a month.

I have made exceptions, I will continue to make exceptions, but the "hey I forgot refund me" or the "WTF you charged me when I cancelled" tickets are pointed back to the KB explaining all of the above they ironically confirmed they read upon opening the ticket.

I have more to say but the wall of text is just to damn high, so I will stop.

@op suck it up, move on, its your fault, yes CVPS could have dealt with it better but they don't care and treat customers like shit, this much was known about them prior to your purchase and you could have done a google.

• I wonder how many of you so quickly concludes that because I could have prevented this, then it's automatically my own fault.

I made this subscription through the chicagovps site and they do have the ability to end it. And they should've. A trusted place would have done this.

I understand that if I just made a (double) payment directly with paypal, then it would have been my fault. And the company could have asked for fees to give me back the money. There is no rights for them to just keep the money.