Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SSD VPS in the UK
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

SSD VPS in the UK

jhjh Member
edited June 2012 in General

Would anyone be interested in an SSD VPS in the UK?

You would get a small amount of space on a Dell setup with around 250K IOPS / 2GB/sec sustained.

Wouldn't be cheap but might be able to pull of a LEB offer with 128MB RAM and 2GB disk or something...

Comments

• What if you got some RAID 1 HDD storage added and gave some to each VPS too?

• jhjh Member
    edited June 2012

@Daniel said: What if you got some RAID 1 HDD storage added and gave some to each VPS too?

Possibly. I haven't priced things up yet. I'm just toying with the idea.

@liam said: @jtodd I thought you were called James Todd?

I (legally) changed my name as I'll be getting married in August and neither of us liked the named Todd.

• jhjh Member

@liam said: bet it was a pain with loans/banks etc

I'm still doing that but yeah it's a pain.

• rds100rds100 Member

I am not interested. No offense, but you are probably going to sell/drop the company after a few months.

Thanked by 1nabo
  • jhjh Member
    edited June 2012

@rds100 said: I am not interested. No offense, but you are probably going to sell/drop the company after a few months.

You're probably right but this would be more of a hobby than a company - I already have a job. I wouldn't be employing anyone or offering any support, just setting up the hardware and letting people use it for any IO intensive stuff they might have / have fun with the technology.

If it does end up getting massive (which I doubt - I won't be promoting it much) then one way or another it won't be me running it as I don't have that kind of time.

• jcalebjcaleb Member

please forgive me if im not that knowledgeable about SSD, but isn't it SSD have short lifetime? i.e. 1 year or something? How would taking care of server be?

@jtodd said: wouldn't be employing anyone or offering any support, just setting up the hardware and letting people

what if there is problem?

• @jtodd said: as I'll be getting married in August

And so, the first mistake is made!

:3

Thanked by 1netomx
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@DimeCadmium said: And so, the first mistake is made!

:3

@mitgib

Francisco

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

wut?

• @miTgiB said: wut?

this.

• OVHHHHHHHHHHH?

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@PytoHost said: OVHHHHHHHHHHH?

Hrm I don't think so. The SSD's that OVH used aren't ranked that high. They use Intel 320's no?

Francisco

• jhjh Member
    edited June 2012

@jcaleb said: please forgive me if im not that knowledgeable about SSD, but isn't it SSD have short lifetime? i.e. 1 year or something? How would taking care of server be?

I have an arrangement with a larger company to look after the hardware and replace it when things go wrong.

@PytoHost said: OVHHHHHHHHHHH?

Nope, UK-based

So I have put together a quick website trying to explain what I'm trying to do (and make it clear who it's aimed at, and who it's not). What do you guys think of the prices etc?

www.killerio.com

There will be a discount on the bottom package for LET users when I'm ready to go.

• tmn29atmn29a Member

@jhadley said: www.killerio.com

I like the site, simple no-bs and to the point !

Thanked by 1jh
  • @jhadley said: www.killerio.com

not exactly low-end price though

• jhjh Member

@DanielM said: not exactly low-end price though

I'll take the £6 package down with a coupon when I'm done :)

Thanked by 1DanielM
  • How much did it cost to trademark the name?

• jhjh Member

@GetKVM_Ash said: How much did it cost to trademark the name?

Nothing, it's a TM not a (R)

• jhjh Member

@liam said: @jhadley Does Melbourne still charge £30/TB ?

I don't think so - the prices they advertise are all subject to negotiation anyway.

• jcalebjcaleb Member

@jhadley you did changed your name now. i thought the previous one is well known already, like a brand name for a knowledgeable and dependable systems expert.

• jhjh Member

@jcaleb said: @jhadley you did changed your name now. i thought the previous one is well known already, like a brand name for a knowledgeable and dependable systems expert.

Thanks for the compliment, I really appreciate it. I did change my name as I'm getting married in August and neither of us liked the name Todd.

• @jhadley said: Thanks for the compliment, I really appreciate it. I did change my name as I'm getting married in August and neither of us liked the name Todd.

Has to be really hard to get used to I believe.

• jcalebjcaleb Member

@jhadley congrats!

@birdie25 yeah, specially when both of you are at home. It's hard to get along with the differences.

• jhjh Member

@birdie25 said: Has to be really hard to get used to I believe.

Yeah, it's odd when you call the bank, they ask for your name and you falter.

• CoreyCorey Member
    edited June 2012

@jhadley I'm getting the feeling you took her last name? Pony up son.

• jhjh Member

@Corey said: @jhadley I'm getting the feeling you took her last name? Pony up son.

Nah, we chose a new name .

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

@jcaleb said: please forgive me if im not that knowledgeable about SSD, but isn't it SSD have short lifetime? i.e. 1 year or something? How would taking care of server be?

Good SSDs should last much longer. We have VPS nodes full of Minecraft servers (at MinecraftLayer, not RamNode) and it looks like they'll last about 8 years at their current usage level. That's saying something since Minecraft is almost entirely writes...

• jhjh Member

Thanks!

• NanoG6NanoG6 Member

@jhadley said: I'll take the £6 package down with a coupon when I'm done :)

like $15/year?

• Well to be honest £6/m is already a steal for what you get... SSDs aren't cheap :)

Thanked by 2Freek jh