Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Free + Open Source Alternative to SolusVM - Virtkick
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Free + Open Source Alternative to SolusVM - Virtkick

edited August 2014 in General

Just saw this posted over on WHT: https://www.virtkick.io/. It seems like it already has a lot of features including billing and a help desk option.

Demo can be viewed: https://demo.virtkick.io/ It reminds me of the Digital Ocean panel.

It looks great so far in my opinion and I'm eager to see what comes of this.

Thanked by 1niwsxr

Comments

• RadiRadi Host Rep, Veteran

WOW

This thing looks awesome!

• It's nice and all, but if you ask me...open source and security don't mix well together. Imagine how much easier this will be to breach due to the binaries being available to the public to exploit.

• The design seems pretty good indeed.
    The thing is how functional it is....

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep
    edited August 2014

Pwner said: It's nice and all, but if you ask me...open source and security don't mix well together. Imagine how much easier this will be to breach due to the binaries being available to the public to exploit.

Right, because it's so hard to decode ioncubed code. I haven't heard of any serious OpenStack vulnerabilities recently, on the other hand WHMCS and SolusVM...

• Wow. Thats great! I could pay for this..

• Ruby, yuck. Looks interesting though.

• TACServersTACServers Member
    edited August 2014

@Pwner, And imagine how much more secure it will be given that anyone can audit the code, patch and release?

• @cncking2000 said:
    Pwner, And imagine how much more secure it will be given that anyone can audit the code, patch and release?

The day that happens is the day my faith in humanity is restored. Hopefully soon, I'll try to stay optimistic about it. :)

• guitarfireguitarfire Member
    edited August 2014

The common misconception about encryption is that if one can make their code and algorithm as random and secret as possible, it will be safe from eavesdropping.
    It has been proved time and time again that making your algorithm secret isn't going to help you. You announce the method to the public, and then make sure it's secure. it is less susceptible this way.

edited August 2014

Well anyway it seems to be super-alpha considering they only started coding it a couple of days ago, and AFAIK the only thing they have so far is a front-end. So probably another project that's eventually going to fail when they realize how large it is, but who knows.

IMO would be smarter to remodel the project as a front-end to something that already works, and then just worry about billing and the panel rather than rewriting code to deal with various virtualization software, disk images, VM networking, etc.

• NowakerNowaker Member
    edited August 2014

Author here. Many thanks for featuring my project here. It's really a pleasure! :-)

It looks great so far
    This thing looks awesome!
    Wow. Thats great!
    Looks interesting though.

Thank you! I'm glad you like the UI! Actually, it's the most important thing. Since VirtKick is user focused, UI has to be tested out in the wild as fast as possible. It allowed us to find and address UI problems really fast, and gather feedback from many people. And, what's important, we can test things out before any irreversable (or at least costly) backend/code decisions are taken.

open source and security don't mix well together

I think it has already been well put by guitarfire. The term is called security through obscurity - nobody should ever depend on such security. Please also note that open source means that someone may audit the code and may fix it. Closed source means that nobody will ever audit the code. :-)

IMO would be smarter to remodel the project as a front-end to something that already works, and then just worry about billing and the panel rather than rewriting code to deal with various virtualization software, disk images, VM networking, etc.

And that's exactly what we're doing! :-) Let me present you all the development steps:

1. UI prototype came first. I described earlier why we believe it's so important.
    2. Now comes the real web application and a small backend server that talks to WebVirtMgr. That's right - an existing, working solution. (We are currently at the beginning of this step)
    3. Once things are sorted out, we will switch to our backend. No hurry with it. We will do that when WebVirtMgr starts limiting us. And it will when we start working on support for Xen, OpenVZ, Bhyve, Amazon EC2 or Docker containers.

Thank you guys for your feedback. Let me know if you want to know more. Have a good day y'all.

• agentmishraagentmishra Member, Host Rep

awesome

just wondering if it can create ipv6 only vps....

let me try and play around with it for a while...

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

@Nowaker considered gofundme or kickstarter, would be happy to donate/crowd fund.

• NowakerNowaker Member
    edited August 2014

just wondering if it can create ipv6 only vps....

It's on our list. The first stable release will be able to do that.

And since we are talking about IPs, there will be an IP pool. A new VM will automatically be assigned one. clean-traffic nwfilter will be applied, so the VM cannot hijack anyone's IP.

let me try and play around with it for a while...

Be sure to sign up for updates at https://www.virtkick.io/. The first user-installable beta version is releasing in a month.

considered gofundme or kickstarter, would be happy to donate/crowd fund.

Thanks for your offer. :-) After we have the user-installable beta, we will go for Indiegogo. Be sure to sign up for news so as not to miss the campaign.

• BTW, I'm on #lowendbox IRC channel to answer your questions too. Just mention my name so I get highlighted. :-)

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Wait so it's attractive, ambitious, open source, and actually exists as more than a concept? That code base looks like a lot of work has gone into it. Well done. You have my attention :)

• edanedan Member

Wow, very interesting. Subscribed for beta.

• rskrsk Member, Patron Provider

I have to admit, the virtkick website is catchy. The panel needs some more "smexiness" :P

/subscribed.

• it's attractive, ambitious
    Wow, very interesting.
    the virtkick website is catchy.

Thank you guys, I really appreciate it. I didn't think there will that many people excited about a static prototype. :-) That means we are really going in the right direction.

The panel needs some more "smexiness" :P

Sure it needs! These views are final: Machines and Machine/Power. Other pages are still subject to changes - Wojtek the UI designer is working on them.

• woww woow i will test it with my online.net server

• Cool. I will try it.

mentari said: woww woow i will test it with my online.net server

FirstVM_com said: Cool. I will try it.

I don't think there's anything to try yet..?

• Jar said: Wait so it's attractive, ambitious, open source, and actually exists as more than a concept? That code base looks like a lot of work has gone into it. Well done. You have my attention :)

Yes, Ruby on Rails has had a lot of work put into it :P Other than the static prototype most of that in the repo is an empty Rails project.

Still, nice prototype. Looks interesting.

Thanked by 1jar
  • wychwych Member

Looks nice, will keep my eye on it.

• Wow. Its a awesome project.Subscribed.

Vaya. Es un proyecto genial. Subscrito.

• NowakerNowaker Member
    edited August 2014

Thanks you all guys!

@FirstVM_com said: Cool. I will try it.
    @mentari said: i will test it with my online.net server

There's nothing to try out yet. Be sure to sign up for updates so you get a notification when you can tes things out yourself. :)

@AThomasHowe said: Other than the static prototype most of that in the repo is an empty Rails project.

That's right. Work on the real webapp has just began. Nevertheless, we spent a whole lot of time on building the prototype because I believe this is the most important thing. Read more about it here. The webapp is just the final step, an easy one.

• It can manage VMware ESXi ?

• ztecztec Member

Looks very good.

• @Radical_Edward said:
    It can manage VMware ESXi ?

No. We don't have any plans to support VMware even in our long term plans (1.5 years from now).

What we're planning for the long term is the importer. VirtKick will connect to VMware, import the virtual machines along with the data, convert it to KVM and add to VirtKick panel. Sure, it won't always work for everyone, especially when the deployment is complicated. But it will work for those who don't really leverage any VMware specific features, and could just use KVM without seeing a difference.

• RadiRadi Host Rep, Veteran
    edited August 2014

Suggestions(something may be mentioned already):

1. Allow changing of the colour scheme.

2. Allow creation of machines in different locations.

3. Allow stock control and manual provisioning.

4. Allow custom ISO self-uploading in the panel(the system to download from a given link by the user). They should be manageable by the user and administrator(delete, edit, etc.)

5. Private networking and IPv6 support.

6. Different server types should be definable in the administration panel(different groups of servers, like Storage VPS, Regular VPS, High-CPU VPS etc.).

7. Credit Card Payments, PayPal Payments, Bitcoin Payments.

8. Profile Management (like adress, name etc.).

9. Make an API.

10. System should be able to Send E-mails on Bandwidth Usage(definable by user, and admin) and Stop VMs on Bandwidth Usage(again definable by user and admin).

11. Affiliate system.

12. Two-Factor authentication for both the user and admin.

13. The Panel should support DNS for the user and admin. The user should be able to manage the records, hosted domains etc. The admin should be able to configure DNS servers, and of course use the same benefits the user has for his own domains.

14. Support system.

15. Admin should be able to change the logo.

16. Ability for custom pages creatable by admin.