Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Free + Open Source Alternative to SolusVM - Virtkick - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Free + Open Source Alternative to SolusVM - Virtkick

13»

Comments

• This looks neat, can't wait to test the beta.

• @Jeffrey, @micronetvps Thanks.

I'm amused at how many of you are interested in my solution. Thanks for your support, LowEndTalk!

• looks good OP

is there a beta available soon ?

• NowakerNowaker Member
    edited September 2014

ETA for the hosted beta is three weeks, @dammugly. A user-installable beta will follow soon.

Thanked by 1edan
  • alsemanyalsemany Member
    edited September 2014

wow , that's awesome , I would like to try it on one of my servers
    thank you so much

• SaahibSaahib Host Rep, Veteran

@Nowaker said:
    You're making a great point - thanks. I'll need to bump the WHCMS plugin priority to mid-term.

Thats all I wanted to add.
    I have SolusVM because it has WHMCS module.. makes life lot easier.

• Very promising product. And yes, WHMCS mod is a must.

• Thanks. Just want to assure you guys: WHMCS and Blesta integrations are added as mid-term goals.

• I'd like to consult you about something related to snapshots. There are two types of snapshots - internal and external.

Internal snapshot is performed directly on the root.qcow2 file. Such a snapshot is not usable for live backups, but is OK for reverting the data. A question to you here: would you rather create a separate snapshot for each disk you have, or just have a one button that takes a snapshot of every disk of your VM?

After an external snapshot is performed, the old data remains in the old file (e.g. root.qcow2) whereas everything that happens after that goes to a new file (e.g. root.20140907.qcow2). External snapshots are great to backup purposes. One can create a live snapshot, copy root.qcow2 to the backup server, and then merge the delta back to root.qcow2. Everything live with no single interruption. The problem is libvirt doesn't support reverting to such snapshots. That said, external snapshots are usable for live backups only and that's what VirtKick will use them for. And you'll be able to download the backup. :-)

Thanks.