Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How often do you get asked for locations you don't have?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How often do you get asked for locations you don't have?

As the title says really. How often do you get asked for a location (geographical) you don't have?

Also if you're willing to share:

1) Are they usually existing clients or potential new clients?
2) What actions do you take to fulfill the request (if any)?

Comments

• wychwych Member

Daily, and typically existing.

• Interesting Soluslabs is asking this. Wanting to start a VPS host yourself?

• wychwych Member
    edited August 2014

@concerto49 said:
    Wanting to start a VPS host yourself?

Don't give them ideas! ;)

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

few times p/week.

• Daily. Mostly from new customers.

• @concerto49 said:
    Interesting Soluslabs is asking this. Wanting to start a VPS host yourself?

Werent they a VPS host before ?

• Good luck with your new venture ..solusvps :)

• leapswitchleapswitch Patron Provider, Veteran

Soluslabs building a vps federation?

Thanked by 1George_Fusioned
  • It might not be that bad idea. If they start a VPS provider, this might help them better understand the needs of their customers (i.t. the needs of the other providers) and help them improve the software.

• concerto49 said: Interesting Soluslabs is asking this. Wanting to start a VPS host yourself?

Ermmm nope...

virtualizor said: Werent they a VPS host before ?

We (i Phill) has never been a VPS host.

ftpit said: Good luck with your new venture ..solusvps :)

Haha but way off!

Just wait until the end of this month/early next month (if all goes well). Exciting times ahead that will benefit you all, No matter if you're a host or a client of a host :)

• MeanServersMeanServers Member, Host Rep

I bet they are making a cloud like feature where you can sell unused space from your servers to other VPS providers, similar to OnApp.

• charliecharlie Member, Host Rep

@MeanServers said:
    I bet they are making a cloud like feature where you can sell unused space from your servers to other VPS providers, similar to OnApp.

It will be good, but SolusVM doesn't have reseller API.

• This might make sense, considering that the new EU VAT rules coming in effect January 1st 2015 will make selling services to end users from other EU countries damn difficult.

Thanked by 1Lee

@rds100 said:
    This might make sense, considering that the new EU VAT rules coming in effect January 1st 2015 will make selling services to end users from other EU countries damn difficult.

Why? Now, you need to user your local VAT, from jan 1 you need to use the client's country VAT. So, in the future always mater only the client's country. This is pretty easy settings in WHMCS, or Hostbill, etc.

• Yea, if you make less than 50k - Else you need to get a VAT ID in every EU country.

• @William said:
    Yea, if you make less than 50k - Else you need to get a VAT ID in every EU country.

Is that a special rule for IT businesses? I run 3 companies (not IT related), each making over 50k, all trading worldwide, none has more than its national VAT Number. Or do I misunderstand you?

• Eh sorry, what did I Miss?

Where does that figure come from?

• From that page:

Online declaration/payment
    For supplies to consumers, both EU and non-EU businesses can use a web portal in the EU country where they are VAT-registered to declare and pay the VAT due in their customer's EU country.

So I guess there's no need to register in all country's.

• MeanServersMeanServers Member, Host Rep

@iSidle said:
    From that page:

For supplies to consumers, both EU and non-EU businesses can use a web portal in the EU country where they are VAT-registered to declare and pay the VAT due in their customer's EU country.

That was my understanding as well after reading that. Any one an expert here on European VAT?

@iSidle said:
    From that page:

the accounting side alone is going to be enough of a nightmare, I assume you probably will need a registration number in each country if not using the MOSS though or you would not be able to declare/ pay.

• Having a 'federated' service that pools providers locations & plans at particular price points would make a lot of sense from the user POV.

• AnthonySmith said: the accounting side alone is going to be enough of a nightmare, I assume you probably will need a registration number in each country if not using the MOSS though or you would not be able to declare/ pay.

It'd be a bit foolish not to use the MOSS.
    Further than that, ye the accounting will probs be a nightmare.

@iSidle said:
    It'd be a bit foolish not to use the MOSS.
    Further than that, ye the accounting will probs be a nightmare.

That is true, but in order to use MOSS you are required to be VAT registered first in the UK (if you are in the UK) which is a kick in the pants..... forces price hikes for end users in some cases and additional accounting and costs.

It is just stupid, lets say you just start out in business and your revenue is only £20,000 p/year but you sell to EU member states, you have to register for VAT in every state you sell to or you have to go VAT registered from day 1 to use MOSS.

Just seems like this will cripple a lot of business below the £81,000 threshold.

Additionally that threshold only used to be based on B2B + B2C sales in the UK + B"B sales excluding B2C sales in the rest of the EU when dealing with none physical or service related sales which helped keep you under the threshold, not any more.

• rskrsk Member, Patron Provider

Amazing how this got derailed .. big time :X

• @rsk said:
    Amazing how this got derailed .. big time :X

Depends if you are in EU.

• BrianHarrisonBrianHarrison Member, Patron Provider

Excited to see what this new SolusVM feature could be :-)

@William said:
    Yea, if you make less than 50k - Else you need to get a VAT ID in every EU country.

As i know, this is not valid for services, only if you sell material product.

• charlie said: As i know, this is not valid for services, only if you sell material product.

Exactly the opposite. For material products there is no problem, the rules are the same as before. The new rules are for electronically supplied services.