Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Host1Free Free VPS, anyone heard about this?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Host1Free Free VPS, anyone heard about this?

LivingSouLLivingSouL Member
edited May 2012 in General

CentOS 5/6 or Debian 5/6
10GB HDD Space
Unlimited Bandwidth
128MB RAM - 640MB VSwap

http://members.host1free.com/vps?ac=h1f_register_vps

# bash bench.sh
CPU model :    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz
Number of cores : 2
CPU frequency : 424.049 MHz
Total amount of ram : 128 MB
Total amount of swap : 640 MB
System uptime :   8:15,
Download speed : (10.4MB/s)
I/O speed : 53.4MB/s

Not bad eh?

Thanked by 1earl

Comments

• AsadAsad Member
    edited May 2012

Free vps huh? Signed up, awaiting approval..

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

Unmetered bw @ 100mbps will get this heavily abused and most likely the whole deal will get terminated.

• Wouldn't hurt I suppose. Signed up also.

• They might offer the abusers a paid service and if they won't pay, maybe get the account terminated.

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

I've heard it's pretty rubbish in terms of performance etc, I don't think there's any point in getting one, clearly a try for more interest/promotion etc.

• yomeroyomero Member

@Infinity said: I don't think there's any point in getting one

• Well, for students who wants to practice administering their own VPS but have not much money to buy one, I think this is great!

• yomeroyomero Member
    edited May 2012

3-4 USD/month is too much? :S

Probably students spend that each day in the lunch.

edited May 2012

I'm a student without much (online) money, I learned the basics on a VM on my computer when I started off. I've got no need for another VPS, but that's just me.

At our school we pay £600/year for our dirty gooey non-edible food which I do not even eat for obvious reasons, furthermore we ain't allowed our lunches or to go out at lunchtime. Hopefully I become a prefect when they get around to looking at my application then I will be allowed out. The problem isn't lack of money for me, it's lack of (online) money, my bank account has lots in it but only for saving.

• @yomero said: 3-4 USD/month is too much? :S

Was for me when I was a student. I go to college just back then with just $2/day in hand for fare+food. :)

• yomeroyomero Member

@LivingSouL said: I go to college just back then with just $2/day in hand for fare+food.

Agree with this, I didn't had too much money too. But I think I could be able to get/save that 4 bucks in a month.

• We all have our differences.. :D

• My problem a few years ago (before FreeVPS.us started making money) wasn't getting the money, but getting it to the host.

• beardbeard Member

A well known VPS company got disconnected and kicked out of the datacenter they were in because "free VPS" servers were being abused by third parties.

• JacobJacob Member

What do you call dirty gooey non edible food?
    My usual dinner is a pizza/sausage roll and a strawberry milkshake or a bottle of cherry coke.

1 or 2 Jam Doughnut's if they are not already gone.

And I don't spend £600/Year.

@Infinity said: At our school we pay £600/year for our dirty gooey non-edible food

• antivenantiven Member

@LivingSouL said: # bash bench.sh

CPU model : Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz
    CPU frequency : 424.049 MHz
    System uptime : 8:15,
    Download speed : (10.4MB/s)
    I/O speed : 53.4MB/s
    Not bad eh?

Could you give me a link to the script that you use? Would be pretty useful.

• @antiven said: Could you give me a link to the script that you use? Would be pretty useful.

Yeah, it's on the wiki..

http://www.lowendtalk.com/wiki/

Thanked by 1antiven
    edited May 2012

@Jacob Just as it is, dirty gooey 'curry' every freaking day, they use Sainsburies Basics for ingredients and cook over the last weeks spare food, the hygene is terrible too. And they wonder why more and more people aren't eating their lunch, a trend that I started soon after I joined the school. Now they want to check our bags for food that we bring to school using some healthy schools thing as an excuse. But I'm one step ahead, I bring my lunch (hot cross bun/scone/sandwich + 3-4 chocolates of my choice [if I don't feel like eating 'em all I usually give 'em away to my mates] + packet of crisps [Walkers <3] + a few biscuits + a fruit of my choice with a bottle of water/ribena/fresh drink) in my pockets and a special pad-locked area in my bag.

• LESLES Member
    edited May 2012

Setup for this took 10 days.

Fresh VPS:

# dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync && rm -rf test
    16384+0 records in
    16384+0 records out
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 9.8228 seconds, 109 MB/s

Now:

# dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync && rm -rf test
    16384+0 records in
    16384+0 records out
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 181.643 seconds, 5.9 MB/s

CPU model :  Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU           L5630  @ 2.13GHz
    CPU frequency : 268.699 MHz
    System uptime :   5 days, 7:10,
    Download speed from CacheFly: 4.85MB/s
    Download speed from Linode, Atlanta GA: 837KB/s
    Download speed from Linode, Dallas, TX: 119KB/s
    Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 1.01MB/s
    Download speed from Linode, London, UK: 6.00MB/s
    Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 3.18MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 228KB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 554KB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 386KB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 1.00MB/s
    I/O speed :  1.4 MB/s

• DamianDamian Member

@Jacob said: What do you call dirty gooey non edible food?

American fast food :X

@LES said: Now:

How's the network transfer now?

• gsrdgrdghdgsrdgrdghd Member
    edited May 2012

@Jacob said: My usual dinner is a pizza/sausage roll and a strawberry milkshake or a bottle of cherry coke.

1 or 2 Jam Doughnut's if they are not already gone.

Dude, thats so unhealthy...

@food:
    My lunch is usually some kind of meat (chicken, pork, beef) with potatoes or rice, some sauce and vegetables (peas and carrots mostly) for around 2-3€ at my university's cafeteria.

• GaryGary Member

@Infinity - wtf is with your school? I find it hard to believe they'd try to stop you bringing your own food. Surely the local education authority doesn't encourage that?

edited May 2012

As @LES showed and others elsewhere have shown it benchmarks quite poorly hence why I'm not getting one.

@Gary it is a private school, which don't have to abide by local council rules/curriculum/whatever, but is not funded by the state so we have to pay. Sure it's outrageous, and I've been struggling with the school pressing for changes but as all the moderate staff have all left I pretty much have no say, now I'm just trying to keep on the good side of my teachers because it's them who write my references to my Sixth Form and who decide on key stuff in my education.

There's one major difference between my school and other private schools, prior to 2008 (when I joined - it was decent but later went downhill) I believe it was a good school but it was bought by a large company who buy independant/private schools, the downside to that is all of our (£10K / year fees and increasing on a termly basis) gets given to that company and they only give back a small amount to our school so we end up with a tatty school and with bad teachers (but a few) , senior management including the headteacher all follow one person (deputy head)'s farcical rules, they won't admit it but alas the obvious truth is the truth.

When a visitor comes it's a marketing game they play full of decieving lies to trap people in, and when they hear of inspectors from the state (ofsted) they fix every little bit in the school, do lessons we've done before, make lessons more interesting, breif us on how to respond to the inspectors if one comes.

They seem to care more about if my shoes look like trainers or if I'm wearing a coat indooors or if i bring lunch from home than the appaling teaching standard at their 5school. Now that I've started my GCSEs I'm pretty much stuck.

They hire fake teachers, who well up on their trial lesson but it's obvious they won't keep up their standards, once again we don't have a say in that. I'm sure the senior management and marketing get paid a shitload.

Bottom line is, corporate greed and childrens education do not mix well. (End mini rant and offtopic)

• @Infinity said: £10K / year fees

Wtf? Whats wrong with those fees? o0
    I pay like 400€/year at my university (which is pretty decent)

edited May 2012

@gsrdgrdghd You're asking me! The best universities in London are around £8K / year, and I'm only in high school. At those rates you'd expect a good standard of teaching and so on but I guess not..

I see the bills at around £3.5K per term which would equate to around £10K per annum since there are 3 terms in a year right? After that there's some insurance they add to the bill (10 quid) then we have to pay for ALL of our exams unlike most schools who only charge for re-sits. So that'll add up to around 100 quid this year and probably more next year.

@liam I guess around 300 in the high school part, no idea about the prep and juniors. My class (year 10) only has 18 or so people, that's about the only positive aspect of our school.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

I like free things, but the only thing I could do with that is poke it with a stick.

• VPNshVPNsh Member, Host Rep

@Infinity I understand that frustration :/, I've spent the last 4+ years at an independent school that's owned by a group that purchase many similar places.. I board as well, and it's pretty costly (£80k/year), and I can guarantee you that nowhere near that much money is being put back in for each student.. it's a shame really :/.

One thing I don't like though is the new implementation of academies. Academies seem to think that making that change has allowed them more control over their budgets and curriculum. That's utter BS.. any head will tell you that schools have more than enough control over their budget and how to run their lessons. Literally it's a change of name, to try and boost status, with prettier websites, and slightly stricter school uniforms :|. An utter outrage if you ask me.

On topic: Looks pretty cool, if I needed another VPS I'd go for it, but would rather allow the resources I would take up to be used by somebody who might actually need them. No need for me to be greedy :D

Thanked by 1Infinity
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@LES said: Setup for this took 10 days.

Honestly there is for-profit/paid VM's on the front page that bench worse than that and they charge >_>

Francisco

• I've got a free VPS from Amanah and it works pretty well for DNS stuff with similar stats. No reason not to give this a try, can always use another DNS box.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

Seems interesting, signed up. Just a question:

No account can be used to store files only (allowed in paid service);

So.. what will you do with that vps?