Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BuyVM: All data lost on nodes 27, 41, 52, 58 - Page 6
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

BuyVM: All data lost on nodes 27, 41, 52, 58

12346»

Comments

• djvdorpdjvdorp Member

BuyVM folks, while I've not been on any defective node, I still want to thank you for all your time and effort. You do a lot for us and while you are an unmanaged provider, you might even go further than some managed providers I think. Keep up the great work and just ignore the trolls (there's a script for that floating around here)!

Thanked by 1Francisco
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

I don't think @iwebhostu is a troll, i think he's just frustrated.

Francisco

• This just reaffirms my trust in Fran and the team in keeping their host running, you are one of few I really trust :)

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

@Spirit said: How can you ask me this? :p As first not to backup vps with same host as this vps is hosted already :P Just because your "business plan" users don't use your ftp backup storage it doesn't mean that they don't do backups at all. Maybe they do it properly - like hopefully most of us here? (ie. 3rd party backup storage on different locations) :P

Well, here I think you understimate me ;-)
    The FTP backup are rented Hetzener servers, so that they ARE offnet AND in another location...

Thanked by 1[Deleted User]
  • @prometeus said: The FTP backup are rented Hetzener servers, so that they ARE offnet AND in another location...

I think @Spirit's problem is having the backups at the same provider, which creates a SOP (provider gone = data+backups gone)

Thanked by 1Spirit

@gsrdgrdghd said: I think @Spirit's problem is having the backups at the same provider, which creates a SOP (provider gone = data+backups gone)

Right, we're in business from so long time that I don't even think about this. My fault.

• @prometeus said: Right, we're in business from so long time that I don't even think about this. My fault.

I didn't mean to imply that you would disappear or so, i just stated that it's in general not a good idea to have all the data with the same provider.(no matter how reputable he is)

Thanked by 1Spirit

@gsrdgrdghd said: I didn't mean to imply that you would disappear or so,

Never thinked you or @Spirit did :-)

• From what i've read on here it seems like the team of buyVM did and excellent job of minimizing the damage to their clients, there aren't a lot of "budget" providers out there that would perform this amount of work to restore customer data, there are even "non-budget" providers that wouldn't perform this amount of work!

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@vrillusions said: From the first page but still wanted to point them out. hourly backups are not overkill if you have important data stored on it.

My comment is based more on what I see customers doing, and 1 or 2 going to hourly backups what not my point at all, it's knee jerking by the whole node to start excessively backing up.

Thanked by 1Francisco

@miTgiB said: My comment is based more on what I see customers doing, and 1 or 2 going to hourly backups what not my point at all, it's knee jerking by the whole node to start excessively backing up.

Yup.

A daily backup is fine. The hope is that people aren't going to go mental and try to backup every last thing, including their dd tests and all that. The backup space is for important things (.sql backups, working folders, svn dumps, and the likes).

Francisco

• subinsubin Member

IMHO, daily or hourly or weekly or monthly backup is really really depends on your app/webapp.

@subin said: IMHO, daily or hourly or weekly or monthly backup is really really depends on your app/webapp.

We'll be beefing out our Shared SQL backups to likely hourly snapshots when things are in full swing on the new chassis. If you run an SQL and need that many backups, you'd just be better off getting on shared SQL and let it be managed.

Francisco

• subinsubin Member

@Francisco said: We'll be beefing out our Shared SQL backups to likely hourly snapshots when things are in full swing on the new chassis. If you run an SQL and need that many backups, you'd just be better off getting on shared SQL and let it be managed.

Don't worry, as far as i can remember, my apps in your VPS don't need DB server ;)

• premisopremiso Member

@iwebhostu

Seriously, compensating users for down time? Have you ever even done the calculations for that? Let's see, given 24 hours of down time, which it was not, you would be getting... let's see $0.0412, let's be gracious and round it up to $0.05. Really? You would give a 5 cent credit to an account?

Anyone, and I mean ANYONE, buying into a 128MB plan at $15/year goes with the understanding, or should, that anything mission critical on these nodes SHOULD be backed up, as at that price, you cannot expect shit to be done.

Having said that, what BuyVM has done here, IN MY OPINION, is gone well above and beyond that they were required to do, 10 times over. This just proves that BuyVM have an awesome staff and are a great host because they actually CARE about their customers. Hardware failures happen, shit happens, at least they try to get you backup as fast as they can instead of just using the logic I just showed and saying, "Oh sorry, we were not able to get the data back, here is your 5 cents back for down time, thanks".

Stop trolling and go back to your own clients, if anything this thread proves to me that BuyVM is a wise host to have gone with for all of my items, granted I also take care to back my shit up, as everyone should.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@yomero said: The brother of taipres attacks...

LowEndMothra.

Thanked by 1djvdorp
  • My main concern here is just one.

Why do people don´t read the host guidelines. BuyVM has been clear from the beginning with their "unmanaged service".
    If your expecting support like a shared host, your way out. Even Linode and Slicehost (I have used them) don´t provide managed service.

Their backup space has a price tag, and they also have had node´s down.

For 15 usd dls, BuyVM has provided a very respectful and great service.

As for those of you who think that I´m a BuyVM fanboy, its a no. I just try to think a bit more clear when comparing host´s.

Keep it up @aldryc @francisco and kudos for their team.

• manmamanma Member

...and all of my important data is safe.

I'm definitely upgrading one of my VPSs next time they have stock to say thanks.