Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DNS Hosting
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

DNS Hosting

J1021J1021 Member

Hello,

Does anyone know of any good free DNS hosting? I am looking for the next best thing to Rage4 really. I tried them lastnight but after adding my domain and changing the NS I found I had used over 8,000 queries within 2 hours and don't really want to pay for DNS.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• RazzaRazza Member
    edited May 2014

cloudflare, been useing for a while nice interface

Thanked by 2daxterfellowes Dylan
  • linuxthefishlinuxthefish Member
    edited May 2014

I have a pro plan with http://cloudns.net (they also have free), never had any issues. Email forwarding is also another useful feature!

If you don't want to pay for pro you can create more than one username, I have like 5 now!

• J1021J1021 Member

@Razza said:
    cloudflare, been useing for a while nice interface

Only thing that puts me off CloudFlare is that their website seems to not load sometimes.

• iKeyZiKeyZ Veteran

If it's for a single domain I'd recommend https://pointhq.com/ I used a few domains with them and they're great.

• zhuanyizhuanyi Member

dns.he.net

• I use CloudFlare and DigitalOcean's free DNS. The latter is free to all customers.

• What's wrong with your registrar's DNS?

• @1e10 said:

Generally a very short issue due to a DDoS attack hitting the data center you're trying to get to our site from (sorry about that).

Thanked by 1Dylan
  • J1021J1021 Member

@hostnoob said:
    What's wrong with your registrar's DNS?

GoDaddy: High TTL.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

hostnoob said: What's wrong with your registrar's DNS?

Some registrars don't support subdomains - e.g., wiki.example.com is OK but wiki.intranet.example.com isn't supported.

• Amazon's Route 53 is currently cheaper than Rage4. I use them for their 100% uptime guarantee and they have 30+ servers globally. They do have a premium feel - much better than GoDaddy.com or even Gandi.net.

But I've also used Nsone.net. Not as reliable, but free for upto 1 million request per month.

Thanked by 1Dylan

Silvenga said: Amazon's Route 53 is currently cheaper than Rage4.

And really...who rages for DNS? It's just DNS.

• GunterGunter Member

dns.he.net

• RadiRadi Host Rep, Veteran

I use Namecheap for one domain, and all others are on my own DNS cluster.

• VPNVPN Member

@FtpIt_Radi said:
    I use Namecheap for one domain, and all others are on my own DNS cluster.

Why not have them all on the cluster?

Because of certain application requirements I use Windows Server 2012. I was very surprised when I found out easy Microsoft DNS Server is to setup for master and slave.

• i83i83 Member

We offer a free DNS account for one domain.

• RadiRadi Host Rep, Veteran

@VPN said:

Because the DNS cluster subdomains are subdomains of this domain.

• vpsGODvpsGOD Member, Host Rep

cloudflare is good ..it offer minimal DDOS protection too

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran
    • SoftLayer
    • Rackspace
    • Linode
    • HE

They are all free options, which offer better reliability than CloudFlare, DigitalOcean, PointDNS or Namecheap. I listed them by order of reliability over the last few years.

• Nyr said: SoftLayer

And it comes with free packet losses!

• elixirelixir Member

I second RackSpace!

• matthewvzmatthewvz Member, Host Rep

I've been using cloudflare for awhile now, very happy with them.

• AuroraZAuroraZ Barred

Not to sure about HE DNS anymore myself. I have been using them for awhile now but when I do a pingdom speed test on my site it seems my DNS is slow for some reason. Other then that I have no problem with it.

I tried rage4 but did not see the option for PTR on the free plan. Saw everything but PTR records. So I gave up and went back to HE.

• gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep

@AuroraZ - for PTR it's enough to create reverse IPv4 or IPv6 domain (and not regular one)

Thanked by 1AuroraZ

GIANT_CRAB said: And it comes with free packet losses!

I assume you got a MTR to support your claim?

AuroraZ said: Not to sure about HE DNS anymore myself. I have been using them for awhile now but when I do a pingdom speed test on my site it seems my DNS is slow for some reason. Other then that I have no problem with it.

They got servers in the US and EU so yeah, depending on your location it will not be the fastest.

Thanked by 1AuroraZ
  • AuroraZAuroraZ Barred

gbshouse said: for PTR it's enough to create reverse IPv4 or IPv6 domain (and not regular one)

Here I am looking for a PTR record and that never crossed my mind. Thank You for the tip. :) I may have to give a go again.

Nyr said: They got servers in the US and EU so yeah, depending on your location it will not be the fastest.

Yeah it was real slow sometimes. Caused over a second or two load to my site. Not a good thing really. :(

Nyr said: They are all free options,

Which of these, if any, provide vanity nameservers? I know Linode does not.

• AuroraZAuroraZ Barred

raindog308 said: Which of these, if any, provide vanity nameservers? I know Linode does not.

HE does not either.

raindog308 said: Which of these, if any, provide vanity nameservers? I know Linode does not.

Probably not any of them.

• wychwych Member
    edited May 2014

@Nyr said:
    Probably not any of them.

Don't most DNS providers charge for Vanity NS?