Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DNS Hosting - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

DNS Hosting

2»

Comments

• gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep

@wych - nope ;)

• J1021J1021 Member

Decided to go for the Rackspace offering. Seems they use dns1.stabletransit.com and dns3.stabletransit.com. Are these also used by paying customers? Are there any differences between free and paying customers?

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

1e10 said: Decided to go for the Rackspace offering. Seems they use dns1.stabletransit.com and dns3.stabletransit.com. Are these also used by paying customers? Are there any differences between free and paying customers?

Yes, in fact the product is intended as a value added service for customers which have paid services with them.

• sleddogsleddog Member

said: I tried them lastnight but after adding my domain and changing the NS I found I had used over 8,000 queries within 2 hours and don't really want to pay for DNS.

• What's your TTLs?
    • Caching will kick in over time, after a DNS change, and the query rate to your DNS servers will drop. You have some control over this via your TTLs.
    • DNS is the glue that makes everything work. If it's an important service, ensure DNS is solid even if it means paying. Don't cheap out on the vitals :)
  • J1021J1021 Member

TTL is 300. I've moved to Rackspace now and things seem to be okay except it seems they only serve queries from servers in the US.

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

@1e10 said:
    TTL is 300. I've moved to Rackspace now and things seem to be okay except it seems they only serve queries from servers in the US.

No, they use anycast, servers in Europe too.

• sleddogsleddog Member

1e10 said: TTL is 300

Why so low?

Increase the TTL and let the Internet's DNS caching system do it's job.Try 14400 - 4 hours. If you plan to migrate the domain, reduce the TTL in advance.

• sleddog said: Why so low?

For health checks. The DNS entries can be modified by a monitoring server to route traffic to a backup server. We need a low TTL for faster update checks by caching servers.

• SilvengaSilvenga Member
    edited May 2014

> sleddog said: Why so low?

For health checks. The DNS entries can be modified by a monitoring server to route traffic to a backup server. We need a low TTL for faster update checks by caching servers.

EDIT: This is called a double post due to BSOD due to horrible Nvidia drivers.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Silvenga said: For health checks. The DNS entries can be modified by a monitoring server to route traffic to a backup server.

...which many DNS servers are going to ignore anyway. Lots will not honor a 300 second TTL. 2 hours minimum with some of the big guys.

Either

• use RRDNS if the only clients are recent-ish web browsers
    • do proper HA (floating VIP, load balancer, etc.)
  • raindog308 said: which many DNS servers are going to ignore anyway

This is against the RFC standards. Although some of the greedy DNS providers will not conform with these standards. Although, I optimistic hope for humanity.

I have seen conflicting reports of the ttl of the largest DNS servers. Some report Google's to cache at a minimum of 2 seconds, others report a minimum of 24 hours. Some say that OpenDNS will cache for 0 seconds, while others say 1 hour. I hope the majority will follow standards, and we should develop against standards - since this is what standards were made for.

• RRDNS only works when the backup servers are functional 100% of the time. It may not be optimal for some service providers.

• HA is used after the client knows where to route data. What if the load balancer goes down?

I believe that DNS level routing is the best solution to handle the case of whole data center downtime. I don't know of any other solutions.

• aoleeaolee Member

cloudflare! :) i notice when you modify A record in cloudflare it resolves very fast. not sure why. maybe because of my location?

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Silvenga said: This is against the RFC standards. Although some of the greedy DNS providers will not conform with these standards. Although, I optimistic hope for humanity.

Welcome to reality.

Silvenga said: RRDNS only works when the backup servers are functional 100% of the time.

No. Current browsers do a RRDNS lookup and then will try servers until they find one that works. If one fails, they go on to the next one.

This is client behavior but is supported in current browsers.

Silvenga said: HA is used after the client knows where to route data. What if the load balancer goes down?

You need to understand a virtual IP. But you won't find it at LEB providers.

Or have multiple load balancers...

Silvenga said: I believe that DNS level routing is the best solution to handle the case of whole data center downtime. I don't know of any other solutions.

BGP.

Your solution really does not work. It may work in most cases, but it's wasteful. A solution that provides HA in "most" situations is not really HA.

• Dyn dns

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

I'm sure OP has already chosen but I'd definitely go DNS4.pro. Free Anycast.