Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to backup without using vps space?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How to backup without using vps space?

RurikoRuriko Member

I have 400gb worth of files on my vps and I want to backup so I was gonna to zip it up & upload to mega.co.nz but I'd need to double my space on my vps which I don't have. Is there a way to zip up or transfer to mega without using more space on the vps?

Comments

• You can try tar | ssh or rsync with -z flag

• blackblack Member

webdav? Not sure of mega has that though :/

• ATHKATHK Member
    edited April 2014

I've used this (http://albertolarripa.com/2013/07/10/megatools-synchronizing-your-backups-to-mega/) a few times, does the trick well.

No true syncing though.

• gracagraca Member

ask your vps provider for temporary space upgrade, usually they coming as addon, use it for 1-2 month, after that only backup the different/increment.

better to clean up your data first, before backup, just to make sure you dont waste hdd space for unimportant stuff.

Many times I ask my client to clean up their data, first and when they actually do it, usually you will suprise how many space they can saved

• M_yM_y Member

Mount a remote file system first(maybe webdav). Split your backup file while creating. For example:

tar -cpj --exclude='backup.tar.bz2*' / | /usr/bin/split -d -b 200MiB - /mnt/backup/backup.tar.bz2.

• n1kkon1kko Member

Backupsy have good offers for backup servers ;)

• DciteDcite Member

If it's not 1 400GB file you are trying to backup, how about breaking it off into multiple pieces by only backing up certain directories at a time? Sure it doesn't give the same ease of use.. but at least you can upload it to a host that way without needing to double your space..
    Though the size of those pieces will depend on how much free space you have left?

• 400gb use vps lol you willl abuse the server every time you running...go buy dedicated server