Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

They call it Digital Ocean killer. A cloud service from Choopa/Constant: https://www.vultr.com/ - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

They call it Digital Ocean killer. A cloud service from Choopa/Constant: https://www.vultr.com/

Comments

• dabtechdabtech Member
    edited February 2014

@jarland said:
    1000 points for novnc.

Totally agree. I don't use the console everyday, but it's nice not to have a Java applet spawn when I need to. Kudos for the decision to use this.

• @DaveA: Since I ordered a server before the DDoS protection hint got removed, I guess I am DDoS protected? Also can you tell something about the protection?

• @DaveA said:
    luissousa - Our account funding match is a limited time offer. Specific Documentation, FAQs/Wiki, scripting for customized installs, OS image upload, Windows, Debian, etc are all coming down the pipe.

I'll write some stuff for you (free of/c) just tell me what you want.

@tr1cky said:
    DaveA: Since I ordered a server before the DDoS protection hint got removed, I guess I am DDoS protected? Also can you tell something about the protection?

Thank you for your interest. Our primary locations include our own custom high capacity DDOS cluster in primary locations that will filter attacking traffic for typical attacks. Generally, null routes are not required and a majority of attacks are filtered.

We will be publishing an FAQ with additional information on DDOS later this week in the Features section.

If you have any other questions, please ask,
  • @W1V_Lee said:
    Is this not the same company that owns gameservers.com? So a few extra servers in the racks they already have in their locations around the world and boom... Cloud service :)

Not saying that's bad but not sure it's good.

Well, I'd say if that's the mindset, that could potentially be epic. There are such epic locations with Gameservers.com, I'd love to see cloud VPS operated by a proper company and with standard pricing. Many uncommon locations for servers are found on gameservers.com. I can imagine things like Denmark VPS etc... :3

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

kerouac said: I'd love to see cloud VPS operated by a proper company and with standard pricing.

What is not "proper" about AWS, Azure (yes, they do Linux VMs), Google, Rackspace, etc.?

• @raindog308 said:
    What is not "proper" about AWS, Azure (yes, they do Linux VMs), Google, Rackspace, etc.?

why do you take the sentence out of context? i'm talking about a such service in the selection of locations that gameservers.com can provide.

besides, i'm sure we could come up with many negative aspects of above providers, although i wasn't talking about this.

• bdtechbdtech Member
    edited February 2014

How's the panel? Why did they replicate the DO home page?

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@bdtech said:
    How's the panel? Where does it say Choopa? Why did they replicate the DO home page?

Lol the diamonds fool no one ;)

Panel is alright. Not much there yet.

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep

jarland said: Lol the diamonds fool no one ;)

But they switched the position of Login and Sign Up, and completely changed "Sign Up" text!

Thanked by 1jar
  • bdtechbdtech Member
    edited February 2014

Interesting they undercut DO on most plans especially considering a "constant.com" vps starts at $20

Wait no Debian 7? Wtf?

• I guess we should shelve the idea of calling our instances vultr "droppings" ? /sarcasm.

@perennate said:
    But they switched the position of Login and Sign Up, and completely changed "Sign Up" text!

Also it says six continents, but the displayed ones (including out of stock locations) only cover four.

DaveA said: I guess we should shelve the idea of calling our instances vultr "droppings" ? /sarcasm.

Is it possible to make the countdown continue even if you switch tabs. It sucks having to stay there there and watch it going down to see what happens when it hits zero (all it does is say READY :( ).

• @bdtech said:
    Interesting they undercut DO on most plans especially considering a "constant.com" vps starts at $20

Wait no Debian 7? Wtf?

Debian is coming, as well as ability to snapshot/upload your own images. Stay tuned!

@perennate - We had 20 locations but we pulled some right away knowing they'd be a few weeks out. The response on this has been greatly unexpected. Things will be markedly different over the coming days and weeks. It's only going to get better and better from here.

Thanked by 2perennate mpkossen
  • RadiRadi Host Rep, Veteran
    edited February 2014

Damn, I like it!

@DaveA Consider offering a 128 MB RAM, 10 GB Disk, 150 GB Bandwidth VPS in all locations and you will have a customer for life. xD

Idea: VPS-es could be named "Vults" "Volts".

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

@DaveA said:
    perennate - We had 20 locations but we pulled some right away knowing they'd be a few weeks out. The response on this has been greatly unexpected. Things will be markedly different over the coming days and weeks. It's only going to get better and better from here.

How about automatic failover, HA and such? Also, how about having multi-homed networks on the non-primary locations.

• @DaveA Can you tell more about your anti-ddos protection? What kind of anti-ddos protection do you offer? What's the capacity?

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • @DaveA Sounds like you have lots of great feature coming. Allowing the user to upload own .iso files (etc Windows) and then run it for the same price as Linux, that will be a deal breaker for me. And looking forward to taking snapshots, restore snapshots in all locations.

• what is the limitation of the promo? 100$ seems to be the limitation, but on which end? Does it mean they'll do our 50 --> 100 or our 100 -->200.

• Very interested but wish there was some way to try out the service first. If I knew this would work well for me I'd put in the $100 promo maximum. I'd prefer to put in like $10 to try it out and have the promo apply to the second payment.

• @DH22 said:
    Very interested but wish there was some way to try out the service first. If I knew this would work well for me I'd put in the $100 promo maximum. I'd prefer to put in like $10 to try it out and have the promo apply to the second payment.

I believe the promo applies to all deposits. So if you put $10 in you get $20.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@jeffreywinters said:
    I believe the promo applies to all deposits. So if you put $10 in you get $20.

Someone deposit $500 to test.

• It says it applies to the first payment. So yes if I put in $10 to try it out I will get an extra $10 credit. But I'd rather put in a small amount with no promo to try it out and later put in $100 for the promo if I like the service.

• Do they have anything in Asia region ? In India? they lag documentation like DO, may be they have to add a lot in their site

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

@jarland said:
    Someone deposit $500 to test

I read in the morning they'll give anything upto $100 so depositing $50 will get you the most moneh ($100). If that makes sense.

• Vultr Promotion! Matching up to $100 of initial account funding!

Matawan, NJ - Vultr.com is proud to announce a special offer to celebrate its success as the largest worldwide cloud offering. Vultr will match up to $100 of your first account funding (e.g., you add $50 to your account then we swoop in and add a matching $50, leaving you with $100 in account credit to launch server instances around the world). This is a limited time promotion, so get off your perch and act now!

• @DaveA Can you give us some guidance of how far out the Sydney servers are?

Obviously the old GS servers there have some issues and I suspect most would have been put in about 3 years ago after Black Ops was released.

• Is there ddos protection in chicago?

• Void_Whisperer said: Is there ddos protection in chicago?

Yes as per their site

• edited February 2014

@ftpit said:
    Yes as per their site

I am wonder what capacity
    Also where on the site?