Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

They call it Digital Ocean killer. A cloud service from Choopa/Constant: https://www.vultr.com/ - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

They call it Digital Ocean killer. A cloud service from Choopa/Constant: https://www.vultr.com/

Comments

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

I noticed their NJ primary location is now also "sold out".

• There goes my $10. -_-

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

On the other hand, I am using my instance non-stop.

The promo expiration couldnt come at a better time for these, supposed competitors. As long as people will invest in the cloud marketing, it will work, but the revenue will maybe break even, the more of them, the lesser the fish in the ocean for each (pun intended).

It is an interesting view of the economy, in this sector, you see someone is apparently successful, you put a lot of money in, copy their products, win... Actually, all this hype is only a loss for everyone but a few, the fundamentals in economy are: good, dependable, affordable service with a human touch. You should also offer it with the lowest spending (all chapters, not only money) possible.

• Still, the only real cloud service I'm using is iwStack.com. DO and now vultr.com (what a stupid name) can't say that they are a true cloud provider, just because they offer hour by hour payment.

edited February 2014

In romanian eagle=vultur, therefore it does ring a bell here. We even had a famous brand long time ago, the sea eagle with the fish in it's claws (La Vulturul de mare, cu pestele in ghiare!), so it is very fitting to the DO/eagle issue :P

myhken said: what a stupid name

http://www.historia.ro/exclusiv_web/general/articol/povestea-unui-brand-1878-vulturul-mare-pestele-ghiare

• Maounique said: In romanian eagle=vultur, therefore it does ring a bell here. We even had a famous brand long time ago, the sea eagle with the fish in it's claws (La Vulturul de mare, cu pestele in gheare!), so it is very fitting to the DO/eagle issue :P

• Site advertises to English audience

• Site has no Romanian location

While I accept your hypothesis, I see one as more likely, in that it's a play on the word "Vulture".

Thanked by 1kerouac
  • I think it's more like "vultr = water", which is more broad than "ocean"...

Nah, I didnt say it is for romanians, far from it, I just said it is very fitting the meaning in romanian especially about the DO "killer" hypothesis.

Thanked by 1k0nsl
  • AlexanderMAlexanderM Member, Top Host, Host Rep

Interesting move.

• deployvmdeployvm Member, Host Rep
    edited February 2014

Their Australia location is absolutely the best. Choppa uses Internode/iinet, which is my ISP!

Test IP: syd-au-ping.vultr.com

Internode/iinet has a premium mix of TeliaSonera, NTT, Level3, Sprint etc

Thanks.

• @rds100 said:
    My $74.95 credit with DO, of which $70 was for free is still there though.

I have never used an credits with DO i paid for every month .......

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep
    edited February 2014

Their UK location is decent from the test IP BUT it seems be single homed Level(3). Getting just under 1ms from my rack, from the looks of it they're in one of the Level(3) DC's in London likely Bramham Street which I know they could have easily signed for M247 or Gosport bandwidth.

There is no mention of redundancy or failover so still not something amazing in my eyes.

• MicrolinuxMicrolinux Member
    edited February 2014

@myhken said:
    And it do NOT take 60 seconds to deploy a new server, or it deploys, but the OS installations takes several minutes to complete,

Who cares?? Oh god, several minutes!

• Sounds big but only two main locations exist, all other locations disabled, they only force to register without notice..

• LeeLee Veteran

Is this not the same company that owns gameservers.com? So a few extra servers in the racks they already have in their locations around the world and boom... Cloud service :)

Not saying that's bad but not sure it's good.

• @W1V_Lee said:
    Is this not the same company that owns gameservers.com? So a few extra servers in the racks they already have in their locations around the world and boom... Cloud service :)

Not saying that's bad but not sure it's good.

Yup, Choopa/Constant/GameServers/ReliableServers and whatever others they may have.

Thanked by 1Lee
  • still prefer DO since they have singapore location ^^

• @amarc said:
    Is this cloud or "cloud" (like DO cloud) ?

"Cloud"

• DO is a Bump and a Dump company. Nothing is great with them lately.

• No Private networking except NY2
    • No IPv6
    • Old Amsterdam IPs from Arin
    • No charge for backups, they do still testing and testing on real backups. When you try to restore from backup -> it will probably fail.
    • Being DDoSed a lot.
    • Packet loss
    • Limited cpu due to abuse and miners , yeah they allow mining on their vps!

When new company such as Vultr is coming to the market it's much better for all. DO will think twice before dumping and bumping next time and probably they'll fail or will be sold soon.

• Does anyone have a bit more information about their DDoS protection in Amsterdam? I can't even find where they say that they do have protection.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

@taronyu it was on the Deploy page: http://i.imgur.com/CgaisoH.png
    but now that note has been removed(!!!).

• Here

Hello,

We anticipate having more capacity in Japan in early to middle of March.

If you have any other questions, please ask,

Thank you,

-Name Redacted-
    http://www.vultr.com
  • Hey all. It's exciting to see some initial feed back on our new service. We are working extremely hard behind the scenes.

We seem to be gaining more attention than we initially thought on Friday when we "soft-launched". We are investing heavily in what we believe are the best server farms for this service. We are also back filling locations in some different DC's while we deploy all our infrastructure. New Jersey(USA) is one of our flagship datacenters and you can be assured capacity will be available there. While we already have large server farms in 30+ cities they are not the Core speed nor IO speed we want to deliver to all our customers. This is being augmented with high density server farms in the cities we've identified with the most interest and will continue to deploy in new cities and augment cities per our capacity planning.

Great things are coming as we fully roll out the service and while we can't respond to all the posts we are watching the feedback very closely and adjusting to what our users want most. There is no greater priority in our cloud division than to make this one of the best services available. Thanks, we'll be back to announce new features and more detailed loca

-David A

Thanked by 1mpkossen
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

NickM said: Terrible name.

Exactly.

• @rm_ said:
    taronyu it was on the Deploy page: http://i.imgur.com/CgaisoH.png
    but now that note has been removed(!!!).

@DaveA No more free DDoS protection? Please explain

• @luissousa It's there but due to the way we're bringing capacity online we are not able to offer it across our entire farm at the moment so we've removed it from the page. It will be back in select cities as we fully complete our roll out.

• @DaveA said:
    luissousa It's there but due to the way we're bringing capacity online we are not able to offer it across our entire farm at the moment so we've removed it from the page. It will be back in select cities as we fully complete our roll out.

Why the sig change?

• I have a ton of dedi's with constant/choopa in NJ, Dallas, and Chicago and I can say this is great news for these VPS! Love it there.

• @Zen @DaveA

Will the current promotion remain active until you clarify the Anti-DDoS system with documentation?

I was thinking in giving you a try, but only if I have a warranty that you'll offer it.

• @jeffreywinters didn't realize how obnoxiously long it was until my first post.

@luissousa - Our account funding match is a limited time offer. Specific Documentation, FAQs/Wiki, scripting for customized installs, OS image upload, Windows, Debian, etc are all coming down the pipe.