Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Facebook buying Whatsapp..
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Comments

• $16 Billion... I'm sorry, but what?! O.o

Thanked by 1kerouac
  • itgodsitgods Member
    edited February 2014

@0xdragon said:
    $16 Billion... I'm sorry, but what?! O.o

"Facebook has just announced that they're buying the popular instant messaging (IM) app WhatsApp for an incredibly cool 19 billion-with-a-b dollars. That's $4 billion in cash, $12 billion in shares, and $3 billion in restricted stock for the founders and employees that'll divest over the next 4 years."

• @itgods said:
    "Facebook has just announced that they're buying the popular instant messaging (IM) app WhatsApp for an incredibly cool 19 billion-with-a-b dollars. That's $4 billion in cash, $12 billion in shares, and $3 billion in restricted stock for the founders and employees that'll divest over the next 4 years."

Yes, I don't doubt what you're saying, just that this is a ridiculous amount of money.

• Google sold Motorola for just $2.91 Billion

• Only one explanation: Facebook is desperate.

• Desperate for wasting the money ? :)

• Time to uninstall Whatsapp

• Do enough people use whatsapp for it to be worth anything remotely close to 16 billion?

• Most of my friends using whatsapp. So, maybe about 10k pepople in my office use it. And it's worth of 16billion to sniff the data :D

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Oh how the giants fall. Facebook is in desperate need of alternative income avenues for stable long term growth, and this one is not worth the money spent. WhatsApp is a very volatile product.

Thanked by 1kerouac
  • @Upstage said:
    Time to uninstall Whatsapp

Lets move to Telegram or Line

• whatsapp used to worth more I think, now there are much more competition but still many people uses it.

• the app it self is worth shit, the data it self being transmitted back and forth is worth billions. Obviously facebook is selling their data to someone, question is who? :P

• i see on news, that is done

Facebook buy it.

damn shi...ttttt

• lots of cash to spend...

• Yes a lot of people use it.

• in his web site http://blog.whatsapp.com/?lang=es&set=yes

Today, we’re proud to announce that because of you, WhatsApp has reached a milestone that no other mobile messaging service has achieved: 400 million monthly active users, with 100 million active users added in the last four months alone.

:o

• Most are kids.They use for time pass.Fb ads will not work there :(

• Even if is 1 dollar for a year, you can remove it, and install it again, and you get 6 months again or more for free.

• dnwkdnwk Member
    edited February 2014

Since WhatsApp start to charge annual fee, lots of people already uninstalled. Now, one of my friends using it where once all of my friends are using it

• mpkossenmpkossen Member
    edited February 2014

Oops:

Thanked by 1srvrpro
  • netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

Everyone I know uses Whatsapp. Even my mother, even some aunts. In fact, I know a lot of ppl look for Facebook and Whatsapp in a cell phone.

• Sounds like money laundering on a large scale.

• The reason I liked Whatsapp so much is because they don't show ads. And with Facebook I think that is gonna change.

Thanked by 1support123
  • mmm, lets see how this turns out. But with the history both companies have...

1. Whatsapp is famous for its insecurity on the protocol and in the app.
    2. Facebook is famous for not respecting users privacy.
    3. Facebook has have serious security bugs.
    4. Facebook app on mobiles has been heavy, cluttered and slow.
    5. Facebook has been mining users private messages.

Combine all the factor's and what is the posible result:
    A highly fact that the new app will get even crapier, it's security design will go to 3rd level priority because the main objective is the mining of user data.

Hello big brother and hello new contract for the NSA.

Thanked by 3chrisp kerouac Infinity
  • wojonswojons Member
    edited February 2014

@Upstage said:
    Time to uninstall Whatsapp

I know its on my list to do now i am so pissed just installed it this week

@Chumbi said:
    Only one explanation: Facebook is desperate.

Yeah they want more out side of USA users and also the young users. since facebook msotly older people now

• wojonswojons Member
    edited February 2014

oops for dup

• Nice summary @thekreek. That were my thoughts when I heard the news. And then next thought "sh*t, it's gonna be hard to replace it". There are no good alternatives I know, that are independent and working for everyone I know.

Google Hangout - lol, yeah for sure. They do military stuff now and enter your home with Nest, don't want them for messaging

Threema - Promising, but Android 4+ required. I know many people with cheap smartphones running Android 2.3 and they won't support it.

Telegram - From the founders of VKontakte (russian facebook), not sure if they are any better than WhatsApp

Snapchat - Would also sell their app to Facebook, just wanted more money

So what's left, that is 1) independent, 2) running on Android 2.3+ and iOS, 3) Secure? I feel like everyone is gonna give a sh*t about you if there is enough money in it. The internet was better 10 years ago :(

• Whatsapp is incredibly popular over here, all age groups use it. That being; I use it to chat with my friends, my father uses it to chat with his friends. As far as I can tell both young crowd and 50+ crowd are in there, and widespread. At least that's the situation in TR.

But with privacy issues, although Whatsapp was very bad with security, I'd be looking for alternatives.

How about Hemlis? Coming soon! For the mean time there's Tango, which is popular as well, and not only text but also videocalls etc. Also possible option is BBM (BlackBerry Messenger) which became available for non-BB devices last year after BB as a company started its downfall.