Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Facebook buying Whatsapp.. - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Facebook buying Whatsapp..

2»

Comments

• How about Kik? I hear some good things about it but never used it myself.

• Oh yeah, totally forgot about Hemlis! I think they those 3 swedes have the potential to really do something different.

• Anyone heard about Wechat? similar as Whatsapp and very popular in China. Now it would have higher market valuation after the Whatsapp transaction.

• Yes , I use Wechat, line, path, bbm, whatsapp. But using all of them just wasting my batterry. So I just use whatsapp

• smile93smile93 Member
    edited February 2014

I have moved to wechat now. Wechat can run on more platform even browser under windows os.

It allows 2 free upgrade group size to max 100 users recently. This really help.

Wechat now even allow voice call [1 to 1]

Thanked by 1support123
  • Mostly stock not cash but still a huge amount.

• I am sure now they will soon implement advertising on whatsapp or they will add fb messenger feature :P.

• wojons said: Yeah they want more out side of USA users and also the young users. since facebook msotly older people now

They have the lowest purchasing capacity.Advertisers will not be interested :(

• @chrisp said:

So what's left, that is 1) independent, 2) running on Android 2.3+ and iOS, 3) Secure? I feel like everyone is gonna give a sh*t about you if there is enough money in it. The internet was better 10 years ago :(

IRC is still there! :P

• Damn I do like Whatsapp alot now I have to search for alternative because I hate Facebook too much

• Telegram, people. It's WhatsApp, on steroids.

Thanked by 1support123
  • What about a new open source communication app fueled by a cryptocoin to push the messages? Solve 2 problems at once.

• uninstall whatapps , i like weechat

• I thought Instagram was the pinnacle of overpayment. I was wrong.

Thanked by 2support123 mpkossen
  • @taronyu said:
    The reason I liked Whatsapp so much is because they don't show ads. And with Facebook I think that is gonna change.

From what was said on BBC News this morning it will be kept ad free

• iirc, kik is very similar to whatsapp. Maybe I have to use that from now on.

• @INIZ said:

I also saw it after I posted that comment. I don't think it will stay completly ad free in the future. But we will see.

• im testing telegram and looks pretty close to whatsapp, but it is suposed to be more secure and free.

thats what the webpage says.

https://telegram.org/

anyone is using it?

• Have been using Telegram for a while. Though I got rid of Facebook a while ago, getting rid of Whatsapp will be a bit difficult for time being

• @INIZ said:

Yes, and Facebook will not use all your data and pass it on to the NSA.

dedicados said: anyone is using it?

Yep, me from now on. It's pretty good.

bizzard said: Have been using Telegram for a while. Though I got rid of Facebook a while ago, getting rid of Whatsapp will be a bit difficult for time being

Yep. But I like telegram better already. Partially because you have Webogram: https://github.com/zhukov/webogram

• @ftpit said:

Advertisers wont be "as interested" yes outside is worth a lot less but if you think about it there are about 300 millioin people in the USA and there are about 1 billion people on facebook. so we can assume that its pretty high usa count currently. read this. http://blog.textit.in/your-path-to-a-$16b-exit-build-a-j2me-app its about the whatsapp budget phone companitablity. Even if every outside USA user is worth 1/100 of a USA user facebook just bought the equal to 4.5 million USA users. but really got a lot more and access to all there text messsages.

• estnocestnoc Member, Patron Provider

Amen! I actually saw today very similiar posting already. but its so true actually.

@thekreek said:
    mmm, lets see how this turns out. But with the history both companies have...

1. Whatsapp is famous for its insecurity on the protocol and in the app.
    2. Facebook is famous for not respecting users privacy.
    3. Facebook has have serious security bugs.
    4. Facebook app on mobiles has been heavy, cluttered and slow.
    5. Facebook has been mining users private messages.

Combine all the factor's and what is the posible result:
    A highly fact that the new app will get even crapier, it's security design will go to 3rd level priority because the main objective is the mining of user data.

Hello big brother and hello new contract for the NSA.