Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Does everyone make tickets frequently with their VPS providers?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Does everyone make tickets frequently with their VPS providers?

XeiXei Member
edited January 2014 in General

I basically never make tickets and am too lazy to make them during down time / assume someone else did. So I've never needed help or support from any of my VPS providers (I did make a ticket for IPV6 addresses once). Reading comments on LEB etc it looks like customers are constantly ticketing their providers, is that because providers have a ton of issues on their end or is it because the end user is requesting support that would fall in the managed category (like help with moving their site/wordpress blog over, etc)? If the request falls under managed why do VPS providers help customers with that since majority are unmanaged? I find it hard to believe all these providers have so many issues on their end that they're constantly addressing tickets which are their fault. I'm just generally curious... :P

Comments

• I usually only make a ticket my vps provider(s) if there is an issue that I cannot resolve on my side =P

Thanked by 1alexvolk
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

90% never open a ticket, 5% open a few with good reason 4% open a fair few usually because poor English means the answer is not obvious to them (which is fair enough) 1% expect you to come over daily, give them a sponge bath, do their laundry and tuck them in at night :)

My philosophy on self managed services is that I will help anyone with near enough anything as long as they have shown some effort to help themselves.

I get around 5 tickets p/day on avg, used to be a lot nore but I went through a period of trying to automate or simplify anything that was cropping up over and over again.

Thanked by 2TheHackBox srvrpro
  • LeeLee Veteran

Rarely, but then I pick based on more than price so that usually means I don't get a service that means I need to open tickets often.

• Almost never.

• Sometimes I open a ticket just so someone will talk to me, I can get so, so lonely

• XeiXei Member
    edited January 2014

AnthonySmith said: expect me to give them a sponge bath, do their laundry and tuck them in at night :)

Where do I sign up! J/K =D

texteditor said: Sometimes I open a ticket just so someone will talk to me, I can get so, so lonely

Thanked by 1darkshire
  • mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

I've been with two shared hosting companies as staff (one currently is in my signature) and I can't say that there are many tickets at all. Most of the tickets created are from automated tasks making sure that it has run as expected.

As a customer I only create tickets when asked or when the vps has been lost in translation.

• I get only tickets from provider its say INVOICE asking for money.

Thanked by 1Abdussamad
  • Two years ago, when I only used fully managed servers, I raised allot of ticket for everything.
    After I started using unmanaged hosts as main hosts, I almost never raise support tickets.

• once in a blue moon

• It depends a lot on the person. Some people need a lot of help with everything, while others only ticket when something is outside of their control.

I personally don't unless I either have a billing/sales question or something has really gone wrong.

• I only open ticket if:

• vps down for more than few hours

• invoice payment not marked as a paid (happens sometimes with paypal)

• I've only opened ticketed with my VPS providers a handful of times. I think one was to get some iptables kernel modules loaded and the other was to get a copy of the template they used since the VPS blew up if I tried upgrading packages.

I try to do most of my testing on a duplicate setup at home, so I've been lucky not to completely lock myself out.

• Rarely, only if my server is responding slowly or not responding at all. Of course I check the control panel to see if it's powered on, ask other people to check, ping from another server, etc..

• Our customers open hundreds of tickets and expect their $3 LET special to be fully managed... that's one of the many reasons we gave up advertising on LET.

• I open a ticket:

• For something I don't have rights to do, e.g., set rDNS when it's not available in the control panel, or sync the time on OpenVz.

• When a server is down for > 30 minutes, if I have some active/public service on it and the provider hasn't posted any notification on a status page or twitter.

• On my LEB's I try to open as few tickets as possible. Frankly I don't feel like I'm paying for that service, so I don't do it. Only tickets I open are 1. Downtime over 30 minutes 2. rDNS when not included in the panel, 3. something rare and odd that doesn't appear to be on my end. For example I have a organization I help with that has a VPS that is not lowend, in fact I could buy nice dedicated servers for what they pay a month. Every few months they start getting a "failed to allocate PTY" when logging into ssh. There is to my knowledge nothing that I can do to fix this and I've done pleanty of research so I open a ticket.

No matter what the issue, I put my time in researching before I ever even think to open a ticket.

• I've never opened a ticket regarding downtime of my VPS or the hosts website, etc. I'm fairly certain that someone else out there has already reported it, so why would I bother creating duplicate tickets. I'll just disappear for a few hours, try again, if it works then great otherwise I'll disappear again until it does.

I've never opened a ticket asking for help with something either. I'd rather spend a whole day figuring something out than ask someone who'll fix it in 5 minutes and reply with "done!".

• I only open tickets when something's failing on their end or they have to do something on their side. I don't expect anymore service than that.

• I usually am the one resolving tickets, but if I can take care of it, ill do it. If not, ticket in.

• @HardCloud said:
    Our customers open hundreds of tickets and expect their $3 LET special to be fully managed... that's one of the many reasons we gave up advertising on LET.

that, and because people pointed out how clueless you were, Mr. 'Dual-socket processors constitutes failover"

• @texteditor said:
    that, and because people pointed out how clueless you were, Mr. 'Dual-socket processors constitutes failover"

This was already cleared up in the thread, by a MODERATOR OF LOWENDTALK. I was not the same person as who thought that processors were failover, or that RAM was indestructible. Maybe you should pay more attention to what your lovely moderators say.

It's pretty obvious as well if you look at how I type, notice the lack of "u" and "lol" in my sentences, as well as the abundance of capitalization and punctuation that was clearly missing prior?

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

Maybe 5 in a year. Last ticket, I got a charge from the LES servers because of a stupid question :(

• @HardCloud said:
    It's pretty obvious as well if you look at how I type, notice the lack of "u" and "lol" in my sentences, as well as the abundance of capitalization and punctuation that was clearly missing prior?

I'm pretty sure it wasn't a different person at all, you were just grasping at straws when called out

• @texteditor said:
    I'm pretty sure it wasn't a different person at all, you were just grasping at straws when called out

What's why mpkossen confirmed one was in Australia? Try again please.

• So far, I don't open a barrage of tickets unless I am trying to get someone's attention... I try to be nice as possible, but sometimes, it's just too much to deal with.....For example, being under a nonpay-suspension threat, though I have a sufficient credit balance....

I also had an issue with a different host company, which would have tech issues with some of their other users somehow breaking the HyperV configuration via hacking - essentially toasting the whole node. Hated having to start all over again...

Then there was the shared host company, claiming I used a ton of CPU, but couldn't tell me how much I was using. They also couldn't give me any kind of data to allow me to be in compliance, so I decided micfo was not the service for me.

Then there was the Virpus vps that I had. There were some serious problems there, on a technical level. The problems were never resolved, and there was no downtime penalty that they would grant. They also expressly state that there are NO refunds... Not a great company to deal with, because the owner got a bit thuggish after the 20th ticket for the node going down (not just the server).

• @HardCloud said:
    What's why mpkossen confirmed one was in Australia? Try again please.

The cascade of idiocy didn't come from the old one...

• @texteditor said:
    The cascade of idiocy didn't come from the old one...

You're actually pretty lucky you chose today to argue about this... [/foreshadow]

• AnthonySmith said: 1% expect you to come over daily, give them a sponge bath, do their laundry and tuck them in at night :)

My grandma does that for $15 an hour.