Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cogent starts de-peering with NTT due to lack of 'Asia connectivity' - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Cogent starts de-peering with NTT due to lack of 'Asia connectivity'

13»

Comments

• Just by mentioning AS3320 the global overall happiness scale of mankind just got degraded by 0.1. And now I did it again, so it's already down by 0.2.

Thanked by 2emgh 0xbkt
  • dataforestdataforest Member, Patron Provider
    edited February 15

@kait said:

@PHP_Friends said: apart from AS3320

Is DTAG 100% needed in Germany?

So DTAG + T1 you won't have any fun in Germany. You can usually get rid of it cheaply via RETN, otherwise there would still be Core-Backbone (CDN77 uses Core-Backbone for DTAG, among others, in my opinion) - otherwise it will probably be relatively disgusting.

In the end, we pay several thousand euros for our PNI every month for AS3320/DTAG, but in the end we certainly pay less than most for EUR 0.80, we are well below that :D

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@0xbkt said:

@Kris said: Hopefully NTT gets some transit from someone who purchases bulk Cogent

Does that mean a tier 1 network can't actually say "cmon {another tier 1}, take my traffic and deliver it to {another tier 1 i have now decided to depeer}" for free. I thought settlement-free peering between tier 1s worked this way where tier 1s never really pay a cent for the traffic they exchange. So, now NTT/Cogent would have to pay for transit to another tier 1 to actually reach each other, considering otherwise it would mean a substantial shift of load to the disadvantage of the intermediate?

Cogent is no longer a Tier 1 provider, because they can't reach NTT and HE-IPv6.
    Let's cancel Cogent and switch to insert meme provider name here instead.

• kaitkait Member

@PHP_Friends said:

@kait said:

So DTAG + T1 you won't have any fun in Germany. You can usually get rid of it cheaply via RETN, otherwise there would still be Core-Backbone (CDN77 uses Core-Backbone for DTAG, among others, in my opinion) - otherwise it will probably be relatively disgusting.

In the end, we pay several thousand euros for our PNI every month for AS3320/DTAG, but in the end we certainly pay less than most for EUR 0.80, we are well below that :D

Yeah, totally fair, I already have my sights on some ISPs to get cheaper DTAG, since their prices are even more insane. Germany itself is expensive in general, DE-CIX FRA/DUS are also insanly expensive.

• @yoursunny said:

@0xbkt said:

@Kris said: Hopefully NTT gets some transit from someone who purchases bulk Cogent

Does that mean a tier 1 network can't actually say "cmon {another tier 1}, take my traffic and deliver it to {another tier 1 i have now decided to depeer}" for free. I thought settlement-free peering between tier 1s worked this way where tier 1s never really pay a cent for the traffic they exchange. So, now NTT/Cogent would have to pay for transit to another tier 1 to actually reach each other, considering otherwise it would mean a substantial shift of load to the disadvantage of the intermediate?

Cogent is no longer a Tier 1 provider, because they can't reach NTT and HE-IPv6.
    Let's cancel Cogent and switch to insert meme provider name here instead.

I think Cogent is the most memeable provider we have. What other options do we have? Level3?

@kait said:

@PHP_Friends said:

@kait said:

Yeah, totally fair, I already have my sights on some ISPs to get cheaper DTAG, since their prices are even more insane. Germany itself is expensive in general, DE-CIX FRA/DUS are also insanly expensive.

Yes, it's more expensive than transit, in the end we actually migrated everything from DE-CIX to PNIs :D

Thanked by 1kait
  • kaitkait Member

@PHP_Friends said: Yes, it's more expensive than transit, in the end we actually migrated everything from DE-CIX to PNIs :D

Might be the way to go, do you have a nice page where you list all your PNI's and stuff? Or can you disclose it in DMs?

@kait said:

@PHP_Friends said: Yes, it's more expensive than transit, in the end we actually migrated everything from DE-CIX to PNIs :D

Might be the way to go, do you have a nice page where you list all your PNI's and stuff? Or can you disclose it in DMs?

DMs is the way to go, publicly reluctantly, as we have a lot to do with DDoS attacks and one could of course deduce from this what could be attacked how/where.

• fiberstatefiberstate Member, Patron Provider

@kait said:

@JosephF said:

@Kris said:
    Cogent has a long past of not getting along with providers.

Goes back to the days of Comcast making them pay up because Netflix used Cogent for transit and just poured traffic one way towards Comcast.

Eventually after a lot of crap, Netflix Open Connect became a thing, so ISPs could keep a stash of Netflix content local with OCAs, and eventually they allowed peering.

Looks like NTT knows they have a strong foothold in Asia and doesn't want to allow Cogent to expand or peer there. So to retaliate, Cogent is killing peering in Europe and eventually the USA. Right now you can see 150ms -> 450ms, if there's single-homed NTT to Cogent or vice-versa, soon it will just cease to work.

Who does this move by Cogent hurt more? NTT or Cogent?

Cogent, since more people are singlehomed cogent.

Cogent is fine. However, any reputable network shouldn't be single homed to only Cogent > @Moopah said:

@emgh said:

@Moopah said:
    Today I learned that Telia was renamed to Arelion....

No

Telia Company started building its carrier network in 1993, which became TeliaSonera International Carrier.[3]

On 19 April 2016, the carrier was rebranded to Telia Carrier, together with its parent company dropping the "Sonera" part of its name.[4]

On 6 October 2020, Telia Company agreed to sell its Telia Carrier unit to Polhem Infra for roughly US$1 billion.[5] The sale was completed on 1 June 2021.[6]

Related to the purchase, Telia Carrier begun moving from telia.net to a new domain name twelve99.net for technical uses.[2] The domain name is a reference to Telia's AS number 1299.

On 19 January 2022, Telia Carrier rebranded to Arelion.[7]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arelion

Both Swedish companies, and Telia is very much alive: https://www.telia.se/

This is too confusing. Cogent should just buy out all the other tier-1s and become a mega tier-0 carrier under one brand.

They acquired Sprint for $1. Better than most of the VPS deals here on LET.

https://www.datacenterdynamics.com/en/news/cogent-to-convert-45-sprint-switch-sites-into-colo-data-centers/

Thanked by 1sasslik
  • snow2ksnow2k Member
    edited February 15

@PHP_Friends said:
    So DTAG + T1 you won't have any fun in Germany. [...]

There are some topics in the cloudflare forum that packets from DTAG (AS3320) to CLOUDFLARE (AS13335) are routed via DTAG US resulting in very high pings.

Is this also related to the de-peering or a completely different problem?

@snow2k said:

@PHP_Friends said:
    So DTAG + T1 you won't have any fun in Germany. [...]

There are some topics in the cloudflare forum that packets from DTAG (AS3320) to CLOUDFLARE (AS13335) are routed via DTAG US resulting in very high pings.

Is this also related to the de-peering or a completely different problem?

Its a completely different problem

Thanked by 1snow2k
  • emghemgh Member

@fiberstate

@kait is right though, it hurts Cogent more because a Cogent downstrean is probably more likely to be single-homed.

Thanked by 1kait
  • crunchbitscrunchbits Member, Patron Provider, Top Host
    edited February 15

@fiberstate said:

They acquired Sprint for $1. Better than most of the VPS deals here on LET.

https://www.datacenterdynamics.com/en/news/cogent-to-convert-45-sprint-switch-sites-into-colo-data-centers/

Interesting seeing the experiences shared here. I assume, like all things: highly regionally dependent. In my (limited) view of tickets between our NOC and Cogent, the Cogent NOC has been by far the least helpful, least knowledgeable, and slowest to reply out of all other NOC's we've dealt with--which includes NTT (who I'd rank up near the top). I'll hand it to our specific sales rep/team: they've stepped in way post-sales to help straighten things out or bump for responses. Should it be necessary? No--but they got it done.

That being said, for the price Cogent's US network is actually pretty good when it is working. With acquiring all that Sprint long-haul the expectation was that it should get better, or at least have the ability to get better. Their routes to the EU seem solid, too. I do know they're supposedly opening up a Sprint long-haul line we've been wanting to get access to that is a very well-placed wave/dark route to slice through the northern part of the US (ID/MT towards Chicago without going down to Denver). According to our rep it's actually opened up already, but they're light on actual POPs to connect as they're still rolling a bunch more of these out this year.

I will say this peering stuff is kind of sad, though. I don't buy Cogent's reasoning at face-value, and the way things currently stand we all know bandwidth/capacity in Asia is not equivalent to Europe or US.

As a customer of both, it's like Mom and Dad are fighting and my older step-brother (HE) is in his room next door smoking weedv6 with his cool friends.

@emgh said:

@kait is right though, it hurts Cogent more because a Cogent downstrean is probably more likely to be single-homed.

Forgot to add this, but yeah I would agree. We have NTT for a very specific purpose. We don't have them elsewhere (yet, at least) because that purpose is excellent routes/capacity to Asia. That matters a lot less in Philadelphia, PA than it does in Seattle, WA. Going to be similar with someone like PCCW. If someone is single-homed in the LE* world, it's almost certainly going to be HE or Cogent specifically due to availability and pricing. It's also easier to find a replacement for Cogent that is 'close-enough' on pricing if you needed US or EU capacity. A lot more difficult when we're talking good-quality Asian capacity.

Thanked by 4Kris sh97 emgh essay
  • TitoTito Member

oh great another peering dispute.

More sand in the potato salad!!

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@crunchbits said:
    As a customer of both, it's like Mom and Dad are fighting and my older step-brother (HE) is in his room next door smoking weedv6 with his cool friends.

We are a customer of you and a peer with HE.
    Does this mean you are both my daddy and my step-cousin?

• qpsqps Member, Host Rep
    edited February 16

I think you missed the part where T-Mobile paid Cogent $700 million to take Sprint.

The deal will see T-Mobile pay Cogent $700 million over the next four-and-a-half years for Cogent's IP transit services, after which the deal closes, with $350m due in equal payments during the first 12 months, and the remaining $350m due in equal payments over the next 42 months.

Cogent and T-Mobile already said that the IP transit service isn't even turned on, so it's just basically a cash payment.

• My guess is NTT didn't want Cogent in their backyard. Cogent is a major price disruptor for new markets. Kinda unfair IMHO because Cogent was peering with NTT in Europe (not anymore) and still peers with them in the U.S.

• Someone mentioned their acquisition of Sprint legacy wireline. They have 200 active optical wave pops with another 600 coming online by EOY

• kdjmakdjma Member
    edited February 16

@crunchbits said:
    If someone is single-homed in the LE* world, it's almost certainly going to be HE or Cogent specifically due to availability and pricing. It's also easier to find a replacement for Cogent that is 'close-enough' on pricing if you needed US or EU capacity. A lot more difficult when we're talking good-quality Asian capacity.

Who are your transits in PA?

• crunchbitscrunchbits Member, Patron Provider, Top Host

@yoursunny said:
    We are a customer of you and a peer with HE.
    Does this mean you are both my daddy and my step-cousin?

We are very well peered with each other.

@kdjma said:
    Who are your transits in PA?

PA is where we're a primary Cogent customer (we don't use them in WA). Our backup circuit is a Arelion/Lumen blend, and emergency connectivity is riding a (different) mulitpathed wave to one of our other POPs to pickup DIA. Eyeballing two regional IX's for connectivity with another primary upstream (GTT/NTT) but they both require some level of planning and figuring out that isn't done yet.

• @EasyEthatsMe said:
    Someone mentioned their acquisition of Sprint legacy wireline. They have 200 active optical wave pops with another 600 coming online by EOY

Cogent still uses the Sprint brand for their IP network?

(BTW, when you refer to "wireline" that typically refers to an LEC or IXC business. Sprint owned a legacy non-Bell ILEC business originally called United Telecom. Cogent presumably only purchased Sprint's IP network from T-Mobile.)

• @JosephF said:

@EasyEthatsMe said:
    Someone mentioned their acquisition of Sprint legacy wireline. They have 200 active optical wave pops with another 600 coming online by EOY

Cogent still uses the Sprint brand for their IP network?

(BTW, when you refer to "wireline" that typically refers to an LEC or IXC business. Sprint owned a legacy non-Bell ILEC business originally called United Telecom. Cogent presumably only purchased Sprint's IP network from T-Mobile.)

Long Haul optical waves in the U.S.