Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why are hosting providers getting greedier? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Why are hosting providers getting greedier?

Comments

• @ViridWeb @VirMach and @VirusWeb sounds similar to me.

• yaty497yaty497 Member
    edited January 13

Seriously are the web hosting companies greedy😂. Running web hosting nowadays is like "don't pay me my love just stay with me for lifetime, i can't see you with my enemy". God knows if these hosting companies are even making pennies. As a customer we want to pay you but don't spoil us too much. Look at the example some guy is giving 1GBPS unmetred @1$,What can i say after this. If this competition says as it is there can be time when we will get a stripper also with the web hosting package to stay loyal to the company.https://imgur.com/HQWO3hi

• Actually it's never been cheaper, look at NetCup Hetzner Avoro PHPFriends OVH One provider you can get a dedicated server for as low as 5,99 I think this never happened before.

• @WhiteRoseG said:
    Actually it's never been cheaper, look at NetCup Hetzner Avoro PHPFriends OVH One provider you can get a dedicated server for as low as 5,99 I think this never happened before.

You cannot buy dedicated for 5.99 from any of them except Kimsufi. You just get a virtual server.

• @tra10000 said:

@WhiteRoseG said:
    Actually it's never been cheaper, look at NetCup Hetzner Avoro PHPFriends OVH One provider you can get a dedicated server for as low as 5,99 I think this never happened before.

You cannot buy dedicated for 5.99 from any of them except Kimsufi. You just get a virtual server.

They are know 8.99 at OneProvider sometimes they have sale then they are 5.99 in Paris and Amsterdam

• The Avoton servers

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

Greedier?

I think most are even somewhat generous these days :smiley:

17 years ago I paid $7.95 for a VPS with 2.5GB HDD, 64MB RAM and 100 GB BW.

• I think what the author try to say is, why do resellers get more greedy :p

• yusrayusra Member

@HostSlick said: I stopped reading when OVH and Hetzner where called overpriced.

yup; Those two are among the cheapest thanks to huge amount of subsidies from their governments.

• Hetzner is Solid there Support is also replying always within 30 minutes or so, can't go wrong there. I also like there Finland location.

• emghemgh Member

@yusra said:

@HostSlick said: I stopped reading when OVH and Hetzner where called overpriced.

yup; Those two are among the cheapest thanks to huge amount of subsidies from their governments.

Hetzner gets that too? They're making quite okayish profit, especially for the hosting market.

• @emgh said:

@yusra said:

Hetzner gets that too? They're making quite okayish profit, especially for the hosting market.

I don't think Hetzner gets a lot subsidiaries, OVH yes

Thanked by 1emgh
  • edited January 13

What are you guys doing with your vps that needs >100TB per month per server? Hosting a file sharing websites? Making a youtube competitor? My dedicated servers are mostly idling and used ~25gb per month per server.

• FatGrizzlyFatGrizzly Member, Host Rep
    edited January 13

@neurostimulant said:
    What are you guys doing with your vps that needs >100TB per month per server? Hosting a file sharing websites? Making a youtube competitor? My dedicated servers are mostly idling and used ~25gb per month per server.

I use almost 140-150 tb(upload), running a proxy for US kids

Thanked by 1Not_Oles
  • edited January 13

@FatGrizzly said:

Wow, your provider doesn't shut you down for running a proxy? Which provider are you using?

I tried running a vpn for friends and family on scaleway once, and scaleway shut it down after a week.

• @FatGrizzly said:

@neurostimulant said:

Thats why you go by the name: FatGrizzly :p

• LeviLevi Member

My barber started to charge 45€ for hair cut, previously it was 20€. I have to charge my clients 75€/hour for admin work, previously it was 50€. The chain goes on.

Thanked by 1hostdare
  • @Levi said:
    My barber started to charge 45€ for hair cut, previously it was 20€. I have to charge my clients 75€/hour for admin work, previously it was 50€. The chain goes on.

Wich country ? I come now !

edited January 13

@neurostimulant said:

@FatGrizzly said:

Wow, your provider doesn't shut you down for running a proxy? Which provider are you using?

I tried running a vpn for friends and family on scaleway once, and scaleway shut it down after a week.

Hetzner, outgoing ip is crunchbits(reverse proxied to hetz).

@WhiteRoseG said:

@FatGrizzly said:

@neurostimulant said:

Thats why you go by the name: FatGrizzly :p

I'm actually slim and skinny irl, you're probably imagining @crunchbits

• @Levi said:

I never paid more than 13€ for a haircut.

@davide said:

@Levi said:

I never paid more than 13€ for a haircut.

where's aff and non aff link for haircut provider?

• What we call inflation! Don't expect the prices to be same until the end world. Hosting providers are human too as it's getting expensive from you it's getting expensive from them. The greed is the government go blame them.

• davidedavide Member
    edited January 13

@FatGrizzly said:
    where's aff and non aff link for haircut provider?

I see the American perspective. To open a tangent and answer, in rural Italy barbers are all pensioner-age artisans, no computers and such, no marketing, no website, nothing but a brick and mortar shop. The more they die off the fewer barbers remain. Seems like an opportunity I suppose, but this isn't a land of opportunities and the places are largely vacant.

• I only see hosting getting cheaper while labor, electricity, hardware, IPs getting more expensive. It is probably one of industries with lowest profit margins ever

• hostdarehostdare Member, Patron Provider
    edited January 13

cost of hosting for the general public remains the same as 5 years ago but all costs associated with providers have increased from software licenses to remote hands to hardware.

• @apollo15 said:
    I only see hosting getting cheaper while labor, electricity, hardware, IPs getting more expensive. It is probably one of industries with lowest profit margins ever

I was paying $40/y for a 2GB OpenVZ with ChicagoVPS 10 years ago; renewed it multiple times. Today my costs are about half of that for twice the specs (I use LowHosting and GreenCloud).

• hyena56hyena56 Member
    edited January 13

@Levi said:

You have to change country 😆 Here in Philippines it just cost $1.5 and you'll get a decent cut for it

• 4te564te56 Member

Inflation...am I right?

• @4te56 said:
    Inflation...am I right?

usually goes up, not left or right

Thanked by 24te56 PineappleM
  • 99% of the hosts here are run by shady mudda fuckers.

Thanked by 1sasslik