Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

› Photobucket clowns 🤡 remove "free" plans, pay or get lost
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Photobucket clowns 🤡 remove "free" plans, pay or get lost

Just received an email from Photobucket, they have got rid of free plans. Move your stuff or it'll be deleted.

Thanked by 1greentea

Comments

• emghemgh Member

Clowns for not wanting to offer you free stuff anymore? :P

• somiksomik Member

@emgh said:

Exactly. Now you are getting it. So offer free stuff unless you want to be called a clown!

Anyway, @asterisk14 even google did it with their GSuite. It was free until it wasn't. So it is the future. No more free stuffs. Only "limited demo".

Thanked by 3ooowwww emgh fart
  • @somik said:

@emgh said:

Exactly. Now you are getting it. So offer free stuff unless you want to be called a clown!

Anyway, @asterisk14 even google did it with their GSuite. It was free until it wasn't. So it is the future. No more free stuffs. Only "limited demo".

They should have at least left the oldies with their freebie. As people collections increases at some point they will buy a larger package. Now they will delete their accounts and go elsewhere so it's probably a bad business decision to piss off old customers.

• emghemgh Member

@asterisk14 said:

@somik said:

@emgh said:

They should have at least left the oldies with their freebie. As people collections increases at some point they will buy a larger package. Now they will delete their accounts and go elsewhere so it's probably a bad business decision to piss off old customers.

I imagine most of their free users has been free users forever, and would continue being so.

Very few were probably thinking about upgrading but getting mad at them for discontinuing their free plan and then decided not to upgrade.

Thanked by 1ooowwww
  • emghemgh Member

Look, I get that it’s frustrating.

My point is just that even though it sucks for you, that dosen’t mean it’ll hurt them as a company.

To them, you might have been a freeloader that they cut loose.

You have the right to be frustrated, but you (and me included tbh) can’t know if it was a good or bad business practice without knowing a lot more than what’s publicly avaliable.

Bad for you dosen’t equal bad for the company, even if it feels better to imagine that that’s the case.

Thanked by 3ooowwww mrTom Ympker
  • @emgh said:

My point is just that even though it sucks for you, that dosen’t mean it’ll hurt them as a company.

You have the right to be frustrated, but you (and me included tbh) can’t know if it was a good or bad business practice without knowing a lot more than what’s publicly avaliable.

Bad for you dosen’t equal bad for the company, even if it feels better to imagine that that’s the case.

I don't really care that much. Haven't used my account in 10 years or so, used to use it when I used to ebay a few items and used photobucket to host the pics. I'll just copy the 100 or so pics. No big deal for me, will move them to my box.com with free 30GB. Just annoying.

• somiksomik Member

@asterisk14 said:

@emgh said:

I don't really care that much. Haven't used my account in 10 years or so, used to use it when I used to ebay a few items and used photobucket to host the pics. I'll just copy the 100 or so pics. No big deal for me, will move them to my box.com with free 30GB. Just annoying.

I agree with emgh here. The "free" users, given the choice, will probably not covert to paid. I know I didn't (for google GSuite). So not only it doesn't hurt them, it actually helps them. They get publicity, some free users will convert to paid, and the rest of the users will bugger off, freeing up disk space. Win-Win-Win solution

Thanked by 1emgh
  • NanjaNanja Member

I don't like photobucket, I had a lot of pictures of me when I was younger... a hacker got pictures of me when I was younger and then linked them somewhere and photobucket has a policy when I tried to get them that doesn't let you do anything to the photos unless you unlink the photos. I didn't know how to do that since I didn't have access to the places I am linked too. So the hackers had access to pictures me when I was a young and sexy underage boy.

I eventually got my pictures and account deleted through a long process of begging.
    Deleting free accounts is a great thing though, since someone else might be in same predicament as me.

• somiksomik Member

@Nanja said:
    I don't like photobucket, I had a lot of pictures of me when I was younger... a hacker got pictures of me when I was younger and then linked them somewhere and photobucket has a policy when I tried to get them that doesn't let you do anything to the photos unless you unlink the photos. I didn't know how to do that since I didn't have access to the places I am linked too. So the hackers had access to pictures me when I was a young and sexy underage boy.

I eventually got my pictures and account deleted through a long process of begging.
    Deleting free accounts is a great thing though, since someone else might be in same predicament as me.

Hackers are probably making enough money to get paid accounts though...

I believe anything you are putting online (uploading or sharing) is public, no matter whether it is in your google drive or encrypted storage. Anything you do not want there should not be connected to the internet.

• NanjaNanja Member

@somik said:

@Nanja said:

I believe anything you are putting online (uploading or sharing) is public, no matter whether it is in your google drive or encrypted storage. Anything you do not want there should not be connected to the internet.

Ah yea, I agree putting stuff online is bad.
    I made my photobucket account before facebook came out, back then I wasn't too worried about people stealing photos. I didn't hear much about people having the need to steal photos in 2003. When facebook came out, I started hearing more about it. Since social media turns people into brain dead savages. It gets worse every time a new social media platform is released, take tiktok for example.

• febryanvaldofebryanvaldo Member
    edited May 2023

@asterisk14 said: Just received an email from Photobucket, they have got rid of free plans. Move your stuff or it'll be deleted.

At least Flickr still offer the FREE plan, 1k images.

• somiksomik Member

@Nanja said:

@somik said:

@Nanja said:

Ah yea, I agree putting stuff online is bad.
    I made my photobucket account before facebook came out, back then I wasn't too worried about people stealing photos. I didn't hear much about people having the need to steal photos in 2003. When facebook came out, I started hearing more about it. Since social media turns people into brain dead savages. It gets worse every time a new social media platform is released, take tiktok for example.

LOL! Ya, 2003 was still the beginning of the social media concept. As for me, I remember back before 2000s that people were already stealing/copying hi5 and myspace accounts. That combined with measly 24kbps dialup internet, I did not really put anything online. Even when facebook was taking off, I was reluctant as I was never a social media user. I got really lucky there, given what, as you say, tiktok is now a days...

• MannDudeMannDude Host Rep, Veteran

I didn't even know Photobucket was still a thing.

• @MannDude said:

Neither did I until I got the email as I've not used it in 10 years. Now I will have to give credit card info it seems before I can get my files out. SMH

• Feel free to use mine https://im.ge, we have 2 levels of redundancy (HDD and DC). Your images will be super safe.

• lala_thlala_th Member

@imgmoney said:
    Feel free to use mine https://im.ge, we have 2 levels of redundancy (HDD and DC). Your images will be super safe.

What scripts/templates are you using?

• I am using chevereto. But apart from that, we are using a custom setup which I told. Also we are using our CDN with more than 80+ pops.

• ArkasArkas Moderator

This thread reminded me that I use to have a PB account from about 8-10 years ago. All images are gone, even though I was able to reset my password. I had backups, so I don't care.

• @imgmoney said:
    Feel free to use mine https://im.ge, we have 2 levels of redundancy (HDD and DC). Your images will be super safe.

How can you host for free and photobucket can't?

• DataIdeas-JoshDataIdeas-Josh Member, Patron Provider

@MannDude said:

heh. I had forgotten about them untill I got an email from them and was like wow. you still around?!

I guess I should go in there and see if I should keep any of it or not.

• kasodkkasodk Barred
    edited May 2023

@asterisk14 said:

@MannDude said:

Neither did I until I got the email as I've not used it in 10 years. Now I will have to give credit card info it seems before I can get my files out. SMH

What files? You claim you haven't used their service in 10 years.

• @imgmoney said: Feel free to use mine https://im.ge, we have 2 levels of redundancy (HDD and DC). Your images will be super safe.

The UI just like IMGBB?

• BasToTheMaxBasToTheMax Member, Host Rep

@febryanvaldo said:

@imgmoney said: Feel free to use mine https://im.ge, we have 2 levels of redundancy (HDD and DC). Your images will be super safe.

The UI just like IMGBB?

They use the same software.

• @BasToTheMax said: They use the same software.

Okay.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Good, so new players can take their place.
    im.ge has some quirks, like sometimes uploading doesn't work, etc. but I like it because I dont need to register.

• @Maounique said: im.ge has some quirks, like sometimes uploading doesn't work, etc.

Just use it with ShareX. It works like a charm.

• NanjaNanja Member

Am I weird for still using imgur? It has been around for over 10 years and I upload files free... Whenever I need to link an image to LET, it is what I use.

• @asterisk14 said:
    Just received an email from Photobucket, they have got rid of free plans. Move your stuff or it'll be deleted.

Could you please post a full screenshot of the email text?

I also have a very old account with them, didn't log in for a really long while, but would like to backup whatever is there.

Could be something nostalgic after all.

• VoidVoid Member

@Nanja said:
    Am I weird for still using imgur? It has been around for over 10 years and I upload files free... Whenever I need to link an image to LET, it is what I use.

It sucks balls on mobile

• YmpkerYmpker Member

These days, I use https://imgbb.com/ as img host. Works fine for forum posts.