Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Small VPS for data migrations.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Small VPS for data migrations.

VZ Type: Any
Number of Cores: 1 or 2
RAM:~3gb
Disk Space:15GB would be more than enough.
Disk Type:not important
Bandwidth: 8TB+ (unmetered preferable)
Port Speed: 1 gbps would be the minimum, really hoping for 10gig
DDoS Protection: Nope
Number of IPs: 1 ipv4, just need a port to ssh into. Don’t mind if it’s segmented or shared.
Budget: $5-6 USD /m

On the look out for a tiny server to move a not-tiny amount of data from cloud to cloud for some friends and family. Essentially a VPS for running rclone and Tailscale on.

(I’d really love something that’s got more than 1gbps, but it would suffice.)

Any tips, recommendations, suggestions or offers are welcome and very appreciate. Thanks!

Comments

• hostarishostaris Member, Patron Provider

We offer HS2 in Kettering, United Kingdom

• 2GB DDR4 memory
    • 1 vCore (Ryzen 9 5900X)
    • 20GB NVMe SSD
    • Unmetered bandwidth @ 1Gbps (we can bump this up to 2Gbps provided you don't hog it, for a little extra)
    • 1 IPv4

£3/month / £7.65/quarter / £27/year

https://deploy.hostaris.com

Thanked by 1vasharoon
  • bdlbdl Member
    edited May 2023

https://greencloudvps.com/billing/store/budget-kvm-sale

BudgetKVMNL-3 or BudgetKVMDE-3 - $45USD annual both in stock, also some US locations

• alt_alt_ Member
    edited May 2023

I am wondering why wouldn’t you use an object storage bucket for cloud backup/migration. Sorry, but I think it is just make more sense and has better prices (paid per GB).

• @alt_ said:
    I am wondering why wouldn’t you use an object storage bucket for cloud backup/migration. Sorry, but I think it is just make more sense and has better prices (paid per GB).

Makes sense and has better prices than what exactly? I never elaborated on my exact needs, so I am just wondering what exactly you are drawing the comparison to.

If a friend of mine has asked for help to move 10TB of his small business's data and old files from Gsuite over to Dropbox Business, please explain how Object Storage would make more sense/be more cost-effective to migrate that data over.

@hostaris said:

• 2GB DDR4 memory
    • 20GB NVMe SSD
    • Unmetered bandwidth @ 1Gbps (we can bump this up to 2Gbps provided you don't hog it, for a little extra)
    • 1 IPv4

That sounds good to me, I have just registered. How do I go about ordering this HS2+/HS3 service you speak of?

• @Crunchbits has a couple plans that'd fit your needs depending on what CPU you'd prefer

4GB DDR4
    1 3.0GHz+ Core
    50GB NVMe
    10TB
    1 IPv4 | /64
    $6/mo
    https://crunchbits.com/high-frequency-vps.php

4GB DDR4
    2 Cores
    50GB NVMe
    10TB
    1 IPv4 | /64
    $6 /month
    https://crunchbits.com/vps.php

• alt_alt_ Member

@vasharoon said:

@alt_ said:

Makes sense and has better prices than what exactly? I never elaborated on my exact needs, so I am just wondering what exactly you are drawing the comparison to.

If a friend of mine has asked for help to move 10TB of his small business's data and old files from Gsuite over to Dropbox Business, please explain how Object Storage would make more sense/be more cost-effective to migrate that data over.

@hostaris said:

• 2GB DDR4 memory
    • 20GB NVMe SSD
    • 1 IPv4

That sounds good to me, I have just registered. How do I go about ordering this HS2+/HS3 service you speak of?

It seems that I may have misunderstood your requirements when you mentioned that 15G of disk space would be sufficient. Allow me to propose an alternative solution, where you can mount an object storage as a virtual disk on your computer and download your data directly to sync it.

• conceptconcept Member

I would look at Melbicom which is unmetered and often over 1gbit even though it says up to 1gbit, Adkynet 2.5gbit unmetered

edited May 2023

@concept said:
    I would look at Melbicom which is unmetered and often over 1gbit even though it says up to 1gbit, Adkynet 2.5gbit unmetered

It's not. They told us that they don't limit bandwidth and that it was unmetered.

A few days later they had limited our throughput to 100Mbit, without any prior notice - leaving clients with 2Mbit speeds due to load. We had only used a couple of terabytes.

• @alt_ said:

@vasharoon said:

@alt_ said:

@hostaris said:

• 2GB DDR4 memory
    • 20GB NVMe SSD
    • 1 IPv4

It seems that I may have misunderstood your requirements when you mentioned that 15G of disk space would be sufficient. Allow me to propose an alternative solution, where you can mount an object storage as a virtual disk on your computer and download your data directly to sync it.

I'm not sure what you are proposing solutions to, since it seems that you still have not read my OP.
    Data currently exists in Cloud A, and needs to be moved to Cloud B. - You can mount any rclone remote as a virtual disk, my question is why would I want to?

Thank you, everyone, I'm testing with Hostaris now. So far I'm very pleased with their (customer)service. But this isn't the review category. ;)

• DazzleDazzle Member

I recall using RDP service for this kind purpose, it cost only $3/m.

• conceptconcept Member

@hostaris said:

@concept said:

It's not. They told us that they don't limit bandwidth and that it was unmetered.

A few days later they had limited our throughput to 100Mbit, without any prior notice - leaving clients with 2Mbit speeds due to load. We had only used a couple of terabytes.

Oh interesting. I guess we have different experiences. I've used it to host Tor Relays before at their Frankfurt location and that is easily 20TB. Maybe things changed since?

• nick_nick_ Member
    edited May 2023

Hetzner Cloud seems to be a perfect fit for your requirements. 20TB at 10Gbps with hourly billing.

@concept said:

@hostaris said:

@concept said:

Oh interesting. I guess we have different experiences. I've used it to host Tor Relays before at their Frankfurt location and that is easily 20TB. Maybe things changed since?

It was quite recent. I kept asking them why they had obviously limited my speeds - as it was easily before about 1Gbps, and then it was 100Mbps, which they don’t seem to understand. So they just kept sending me scripted responses saying we “guarantee 100Mbps” with no acknowledgement of the bandwidth usage / the bandwidth limitation when they’ve clearly done something because 2 hours ago it was 1Gbps