Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for Shared Hosting of Cloud Instance
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for Shared Hosting of Cloud Instance

I'm a security type and see alot of discussion here on buzzword VPS, etc, and it's kind of hard to make your way through all the noise. I like to make my own VPS thank you.

I used to have an instance at an OpenStack provider where I built a highly secure Postfix/Dovecot email server and Apache webserver. But as the provider went in new directions the service deteriorated.

I don't use G**gle [u]anything[/u] except stripped Android and don't trust AWS, Oracle, or the other big ones. I don't trust Docker containers and Podman seems like too much brain surgery and indirect. Don't trust VMWare. I am not clear on exactly what a VPS is but it sounds like I'd have to use a canned OS from the start.

I just am looking for an OpenStack instance, KVM VM, or similar where I can install my own OS from scratch, have at least 50GB, a public IP, some decent bandwidth, for less than $100/year without hitches or gotchas. In Europe, pref Switzerland or Sweden. I'd like to connect with WireGuard for a remote desktop of the instance in some manner, from boot. I'm impressed with the plaudits of MXRoute but I want to start from scratch. Something similar to LavaBit if they had a cloud.

Comments

• emghemgh Member
    edited March 2023

Best provider for you is BuyVM.

If you really need Sweden, HostHatch, but it’s not BuyVM.

If you can pay extra for the best, combined with it being in Sweden, GleSYS!

However, again, the only provider I feel is a good fit looking at your requirements is BuyVM apart from location.

Thanked by 1quantum_
  • Looks nice. Luxembourg is fine. I've put in some questions to them.

• "Out of stock" on Lux KVM slices.

• MannDudeMannDude Host Rep, Veteran

@quantum_ said:
    "Out of stock" on Lux KVM slices.

Check daily.

I recently tried to catch stock on the 'first of the month and the seventh of the month' because that is when people say to check. I never had much luck in finding what I needed for my use.

Started to just check it daily and I'd notice random increases in stock here and there throughout the month.

There is also some Discord group that monitors stock and alerts you or something.

Thanked by 1quantum_
  • bruh21bruh21 Member, Host Rep

@quantum_ said:
    "Out of stock" on Lux KVM slices.

https://buyvmstock.com

Thanked by 1quantum_
  • Ty

• Eh, so using buyvmstock for a week... nothing. I am running out of space in my rinky-dink provider.

Any other KVM slice recommendations?

• @quantum_ said:
    Eh, so using buyvmstock for a week... nothing. I am running out of space in my rinky-dink provider.

Any other KVM slice recommendations?

What are you looking for? BuyVM had stock on 2gb vps in Luxembourg on the 27th, 1st and 4th.

Thanked by 1quantum_
  • HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

@quantum_ said:
    Eh, so using buyvmstock for a week... nothing. I am running out of space in my rinky-dink provider.

Tomorrow (6th) is the restock day for cancellations I believe

• quantum_quantum_ Member
    edited April 2023

Looking for 2GB KVM slice. If I understand correctly you can't install your own OS in a VPS. I want to encrypt the OS and install CentOS Stream 9.1.

Just checked and still out of stock on Lux slices. buyvmstock has been ostensibly keeping an eye on it for me, and nothing.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@quantum_ said: Looking for 2GB KVM slice. If I understand correctly you can't install your own OS in a VPS. I want to encrypt the OS.

You understand wrong. You can :) Once the service is provisioned you can login to Stallion, mount your ISO of choice (or upload one if we don't have it in the public library), and go through the installer via the console.

I have no doubt we have many people happily doing FDE.

Francisco

• rustelekomrustelekom Member, Patron Provider

I think you're wrong. You are probably trying to split VPS and cloud, but in most cases they both use the same KVM virtualization. Therefore, it doesn't matter if you use a standard VPS or a cloud instance - you can use your own ISO, as well as console access to encrypt your disks. But, if you are talking about security, you should understand:

1) With ANY virtualization, your encrypted virtual disk may not be sufficiently protected.
    2) With ANY virtualization, your virtual RAM cannot be sufficiently protected.

The only way to completely secure your server is a dedicated server.

• There's stock now. Go, go go!

Thanked by 1quantum_
    edited April 2023

Aaaak, the only services I find on frantech are KVM slices, block storage slabs, storage VPS (replaced by slices) and Anycast (doesn't seem to be a way to buy)! Can't find regular VPS anywhere. The Chat function only sends a message so I guess they're not in.

0 available for all Lux slices. No notification at all from BuyVM Stock Notifier.

The basic problem is my ISP blocks port 25. So traditionally I've set up a hosted OpenStack instance to run my email server. But I've just noticed a knowledgebase article on frantech titled, "GRE tunneling from your BuyVM DDoS Filtered VPS IP". I can't read the article as you need an account, but maybe all I need to do is either tunnel from frantech to my own server VM (ideally with WireGuard), or change ports in frantech to my own server VM? (I'm not worried about DDoS)

• fuqetfuqet Member

@quantum_ said:
    Aaaak, the only services I find on frantech are KVM slices, block storage slabs, storage VPS (replaced by slices) and Anycast (doesn't seem to be a way to buy)! Can't find regular VPS anywhere.

KVM slice = VPS :)

Thanked by 1quantum_
  • @fuqet said:

@quantum_ said:
    Aaaak, the only services I find on frantech are KVM slices, block storage slabs, storage VPS (replaced by slices) and Anycast (doesn't seem to be a way to buy)! Can't find regular VPS anywhere.

Ah. Never found a 2GB in Lux, and BuyVM Stock Notifier has never notified.

• noisycodenoisycode Member
    edited April 2023

@quantum_ said:

@fuqet said:

@quantum_ said:

Ah. Never found a 2GB in Lux, and BuyVM Stock Notifier has never notified.

Right now, quite some KVM slices are available in LUX.

Link: https://my.frantech.ca/cart.php?gid=39

edited April 2023

I don't understand this. I never see anything available, whether from my US location or Swiss. And I never never get a notification from BuyVM Stock Notifier.

I even saw a Lux 1GB instance available on BuyVM Stock Notifier and tried to buy that, but then it shows good ole' Out of Stock.

In any case maybe I just need a port translator or VPN to my local server?

Thanked by 1etcrooty
    edited April 2023

Ok, BuyVM is impossible.

I finally hit an available KVM slice in Lux, set up an account, tried to pay but it thought I am a fraud. (I am a real estate developer). I tried again but it said an account has already been set up. So I logged in and tried to add the service but it added two Las Vegas instances to my Lux. W.T.F.?

I deleted those and tried to proceed, but it had to send a link to my email. So I clicked that link and it took me to login. I logged in and tried to add the service, but NOW IT SAYS "WE ARE UNABLE TO AUTHENTICATE YOUR PAYMENT METHOD. PLEASE CHOOSE A DIFFERENT PAYMENT METHOD AND TRY AGAIN."

Well No Sir. Something is busted with your system and this is a very bad first sign. I have entered my credit card info three times for a year's service, and who knows how many times I've been charged? I am not about to hand over another high-value credit card.

Again, Chat With Sales just sends a message, so they're not there

BuyVM and FranTech are busted, at least for Americans with good credit.

PS - https://buyvmstock.com/ doesn't do nothin'.

edited April 2023

Very convenient:

My IP is blocked.

• @quantum_ said:
    Very convenient:

My IP is blocked.

i think the site is .net not .com

https://buyvm.net/

• @quantum_ said: My IP is blocked.

.net not .com

• emghemgh Member
    edited April 2023

@quantum_ said:
    I tried to pay but it thought I am a fraud. (I am a real estate developer)

Thanks for the funniest comment in the entire history of LET and not even doing it on purpose.

I commend you my friend❤️

• Ok I see. But something is bad wrong with their system. No idea how many times they've charged me, and I can not make the system work.

• emghemgh Member

@quantum_ said:
    Ok I see. But something is bad wrong with their system. No idea how many times they've charged me, and I can not make the system work.

How about you check instead of posting here?

• sreekanth850sreekanth850 Member
    edited April 2023

If you want openstack cloud check aruba cloud. They have shared cloud instance with in your budget. But you need to pass verification before using their service.

• HxxxHxxx Member

VULTR?

• @emgh said:

@quantum_ said:
    I tried to pay but it thought I am a fraud. (I am a real estate developer)

Thanks for the funniest comment in the entire history of LET and not even doing it on purpose.

I commend you my friend❤️

Yeah Ok, point taken lol.

• On Aruba it seems their support is primarily in Italian.

On Vultr I don't fully understand their pricing, and none of the title pulldowns or hamburger work for me. Also can't find Support to ask.
    1 vCPU 2 GB 2.00 TB 55 GB $10 / mo $0.015 / hr
    "All servers on your account are billed hourly up to the monthly rate cap. The hourly rate is determined by dividing the monthly rate by 672 hours (28 days). If your server is online for more than 672 hours in a calendar month, you will only be billed the monthly rate. Accumulated charges are invoiced to your account on the 1st of every month."
    $10/mo is described as the "Monthly Price", but is that the cap? Or is the hourly rate in addition to the monthly rate? No clue.

It occurs to me that my primary problem with running my own email server is that my ISP blocks port 25 coming in. I already have ProtonVPN which ostensibly can do port-forwarding, so maybe if I can get that working it's all I need. Set my MX to the PVPN endpoint and it translates the two IMAP email ports and directs to my server. That way I have full control and would be only the existing cost of PVPN. IF I can get PVPN to actually port-forward, and IF I'm not too stupid to get postfix and dovecot running again. Times have changed alot since I last set those up.

• What host are you leaving?