Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Avoid ZetServers at all costs
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Avoid ZetServers at all costs

edited March 2023 in Reviews

I was really skeptical then I found ZetServers for the first time with their "10Gbps unmetered" bandwidth, but I decided to give it a try. It was perfect for my needs and everything worked on "acceptable" level. They had downtime there and here and it was fine for the money I paid.

One day they decided to block UDP ports, which made this VPS useless for me and there was no reason/explanation or communications. After opening the ticket and explaining that I need specific UDP ports they decided to open it. The downtime for me was basically +12 hours.

Well one month passes and same shit happens again. I open new ticket and ask them what's cooking and why UDP ports are blocked again. Here is the answer:

Since that accident they still haven't opened UDP ports. Gave them over a week to fix it. So, I can't really recommend them. Just a Voxility reseller who is not even capable of protecting themself from DDoS attacks. Also no IPv6 support.

Here is YABS. This plan does not exists anymore.

Basic System Information:
---------------------------------
Uptime     : 0 days, 0 hours, 7 minutes
Processor  : QEMU Virtual CPU version 2.5+
CPU cores  : 1 @ 2593.992 MHz
AES-NI     : ❌ Disabled
VM-x/AMD-V : ❌ Disabled
RAM        : 976.4 MiB
Swap       : 63.0 MiB
Disk       : 29.7 GiB
Distro     : Debian GNU/Linux 11 (bullseye)
Kernel     : 5.10.0-8-amd64

fio Disk Speed Tests (Mixed R/W 50/50):
Block Size | 4k            (IOPS) | 64k           (IOPS)
  ------   | ---            ----  | ----           ----
Read       | 3.99 MB/s      (998) | 5.26 MB/s       (82)
Write      | 4.01 MB/s     (1.0k) | 5.55 MB/s       (86)
Total      | 8.01 MB/s     (2.0k) | 10.82 MB/s     (168)
           |                      |
Block Size | 512k          (IOPS) | 1m            (IOPS)
  ------   | ---            ----  | ----           ----
Read       | 76.02 MB/s     (148) | 200.62 MB/s    (195)
Write      | 80.06 MB/s     (156) | 213.99 MB/s    (208)
Total      | 156.09 MB/s    (304) | 414.62 MB/s    (403)

iperf3 Network Speed Tests (IPv4):
Provider        | Location (Link)           | Send Speed      | Recv Speed      | Ping
-----           | -----                     | ----            | ----            | ----
Clouvider       | London, UK (10G)          | busy            | 3.87 Gbits/sec  | 40.7 ms
Scaleway        | Paris, FR (10G)           | 4.40 Gbits/sec  | 3.23 Gbits/sec  | 38.0 ms
NovoServe       | North Holland, NL (40G)   | 5.79 Gbits/sec  | 5.87 Gbits/sec  | 31.7 ms
Uztelecom       | Tashkent, UZ (10G)        | 1.30 Gbits/sec  | 1.49 Gbits/sec  | 117 ms
Clouvider       | NYC, NY, US (10G)         | 18.6 Mbits/sec  | 1.71 Gbits/sec  | 106 ms
Clouvider       | Dallas, TX, US (10G)      | 511 Mbits/sec   | 1.25 Gbits/sec  | 143 ms
Clouvider       | Los Angeles, CA, US (10G) | 961 Mbits/sec   | 1.02 Gbits/sec  | 171 ms

Geekbench 5 Benchmark Test:
Test            | Value
                |
Single Core     | 627
Multi Core      | 616
Full Test       | https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/19339124

Comments

• lowendclientlowendclient Member
    edited March 2023

It's a conventional measure to block UDP ports under DDoS attack.
    It's not an accident nor a downtime.

• Thanked by 2ralf emg
  • LeviLevi Member

Level 2 system administrator? Wait, there is levels. Anyone is over 9000?!

• treesmokahtreesmokah Member
    edited March 2023

@LTniger said:
    Level 2 system administrator? Wait, there is levels. Anyone is over 9000?!

Level 4 techs can protect against Gen 13 bots.

edited March 2023

Its very very common for Voxility to block UDP entirely during an attack.
    Its not host's fault particularly, some hosts been able to do UDP on Voxility somehow - but most don't.

@HyperFilter_Official do you guys do UDP prot over Voxility?

• @treesmokah said:
    Its not host's fault particularly, some hosts been able to do UDP on Voxility somehow - but most don't.

Will never touch Voxility now for sure. I been using bunch of different VPS providers and this is first time I see someone is blocking UDP.

Thanked by 1greentea
    edited March 2023

@TheGreatOakley said:

@treesmokah said:

Will never touch Voxility now for sure. I been using bunch of different VPS providers and this is first time I see someone is blocking UDP.

Just curious, are you hosting game servers or custom UDP apps?
    Combahton/Fastpipe.io has specific rules for game servers which you can customize. I had a fair bit of issues with em, but maybe for your usecase they will work.

Hostslick also has network from Combahton that is ddos-protected, from what I can tell - its more stable than fastpipe.io vps - but you can't configure rules.

GSL/godedicated.com also works very nicely in EU, their anti-ddos is beefy.

For NL/US, go with Cosmic/Secured.gg https://secured.gg/

• @treesmokah said:

@TheGreatOakley said:

@treesmokah said:

Combahton/Fastpipe.io has specific rules for game servers which you can customize. I had a fair bit of issues with em, but maybe for your usecase they will work.

Hostslick also has network from Combahton that is ddos-protected, from what I can tell - its more stable than fastpipe.io vps - but you can't configure rules.

There is also https://www.berrybyte.net/, Cosmic protection on VPS (with bgp)

Thanked by 1treesmokah
  • edited March 2023

@treesmokah said:

@TheGreatOakley said:

@treesmokah said:

Nope it was network related project and had nothing to do with the game servers. Also It was not me who was under DDoS attack on their node, but anyways thanks for the suggestions.

• LeviLevi Member

To avoid something at all costs you must produce constant failures and insult customers. With mentioned host it is not the case. Example of "avoid at all costs": maxkvm, hosthatch, virmach.

• Hello TheGreatOakley,

Thank you for your review ! Indeed, we had a major incident in our network a few months ago. We were the target of a pretty large UDP reflected + direct attack (>1Tbps) with multiple src ports. More than that, other services were also targeted like the peering routers and management infra. We’ve been forced to temporarily block UDP (except whitelisted DNS/NTP subnets). In the meantime we’ve installed additional capacity on the filtering cluster to be able to actively filter the attacks instead dropping entire traffic, so UDP is again accessible in our network and mitigation is done on the UDP protocol too. Regarding the virtual servers, we are in the process of migrating the infrastructure to a completely new infrastructure which should provide better CPU and I/O performance while still offering 10Gbps unmetered connectivity.

Just as a note, we are not reselling Voxility services. We operate our own Europe-wide network backbone with PoPs in 35 different datacenters from Europe with more than 5Tbps edge capacity and over 3Tbps of peak traffic. Our ASN is: 25198
    You can find more information about our network on PeeringDB or other databases.