Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

One Global Mesh VPN Network for My LEBs: Nebula, or...? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

One Global Mesh VPN Network for My LEBs: Nebula, or...?

2»

Comments

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited March 2023

@Neoon said:

Well I have a lot to read up on. I completely side-stepped Wireguard after seeing that mesh was in their TODO.

That's why all the wg-mesh projects on github do exist.
    You can use tinc if you don't care about throughput, which by design supports mesh.

You need to define "mesh" first, and go from that.

Mesh can mean that every node contacts every other node directly, without going through a central server. Wireguard already works just like that, by design.

Or mesh can mean self-healing: when there happens to be no direct connection between any two nodes (100% packet loss), other nodes stand in and start forwarding traffic to create a working route. Tinc can do this... but did you think of this requirement as your definition of mesh to begin with? Is this something that you actually see happen that often, and absolutely needs to be handled? I think not, so it is unfair to ditch WG as "not supporting mesh". It does do mesh per definition #1 above, which is more than enough for most cases.

For the more advanced case, mesh can mean that nodes create a dynamic path across them to provide you with the lowest latency. This is what @Neoon's project does, but again, I feel it's not what most people require when thinking of "mesh VPN".

Thanked by 1quicksilver03
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited March 2023

@rm_ said:

@Neoon said:

Well I have a lot to read up on. I completely side-stepped Wireguard after seeing that mesh was in their TODO.

That's why all the wg-mesh projects on github do exist.
    You can use tinc if you don't care about throughput, which by design supports mesh.

You need to define "mesh" first, and go from that.

Mesh can mean that every node contacts every other node directly, without going through a central server. Wireguard already works just like that, by design.

Or mesh can mean self-healing: when there happens to be no direct connection between any two nodes (100% packet loss), other nodes stand in and start forwarding traffic to create a working route. Tinc can do this... but did you think of this requirement as your definition of mesh to begin with? Is this something that you actually see happen that often, and absolutely needs to be handled? I think not, so it is unfair to ditch WG as "not supporting mesh". It does do mesh per definition #1 above, which is more than enough for most cases.

For the more advanced case, mesh can mean that nodes create a dynamic path across them to provide you with the lowest latency. This is what @Neoon's project does, but again, I feel it's not what most people require when thinking of "mesh VPN".

True. booth.
    The primary goal is providing the best route, so it isn't going through a central server.
    Neither does the software depend on a central server.

Every node has a connection to every node.
    If a link fails, the failover is going to take place in a few seconds.
    Depending on which has the next best route, the link will be taken.

So you can call it self healing, since dead links are avoided.
    Is this needed? Yes, gaming is mission critical.

Thanked by 2raindog308 Maounique
  • What about Pritunl? Someone here tried it?

https://pritunl.com/

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited March 2023

Neoon solution seems great and does what I need over IPv4, however I NEED IPv6. For me it is not a nice to have, 90% of all my VMs and servers are interlinked over IPv6 and 95+% have it. Going back to IPv4 is not an option, my home servers have to talk over IPv6 to avoid all that NAT shit, private addressing space and the like.

For the future, however, we all need a free internet. Freenet was great at the time but it is old and poorly maintained with little participation.

A simple, platform independent, client and fully encrypted communication between nodes, Tor style. Then keeping everything inside the network with no connection outside, but mirrors available of wikipedia, for example, either maintained by the wikimedia or by someone else, youtube, fb etc. provided either by ABC or Meta or direct links between a node or more exclusively for that, taking the censorship out of the internet and keeping all the current functionality.

We can bypass censorship with such a mesh and we can make it unbreakable even as some big players like ABC or Microsoft might block connections to mirrors, a mechanism where any node can make connections over the regular net to a specific list of blocked sites can work.

Connecting over UDP and distributing the packets through multiple routes would also make it untraceable with any kind of outside measuring and statistics, eliminate any geoblocking as well.

Of course, the latency would suffer, but a continuous adapting routing algorithm can create rivers along the largest bw nodes with the lowest latency. Traffic is getting cheaper and many people with fat pipes at low cost can join in. I would get 10 gb connections just for that, for example, costs me 10 Eur with VAT per month which is absolutely nothing for most people.

@Maounique said:
    Neoon solution seems great and does what I need over IPv4, however I NEED IPv6. For me it is not a nice to have, 90% of all my VMs and servers are interlinked over IPv6 and 95+% have it. Going back to IPv4 is not an option, my home servers have to talk over IPv6 to avoid all that NAT shit, private addressing space and the like.

It uses already IPv6 for Transport if available and does tunnel IPv4 through it.
    You can connect IPv6 only VM's to the Network.

I already had full IPv6 support in the older route bender, however it keep shitting itself when I used to browse over IPv6 using the Network.

I don't know why, I am not an IPv6 expert, however I blame my raspberry pi.
    Since IPv6 seemed stable within the Network, just not on my PI.

I could not be bothered to fix it, since its not my main use case.
    However, I can merge it into a separate branch or experimental and if people wanna help, they can.

Thanked by 1Maounique
  • @lala_th said:
    What about Pritunl? Someone here tried it?

https://pritunl.com/

I'm using it for my company's VPN, I like the client app but I haven't tried a mesh setup yet. To connect various LANs I ended up using Wireguard VM managed outside of Pritunl, since it needs to restart the VPN service for every route change and we have a use case where routes could change multiple times per day.

• Tinc can be used for this: https://www.tinc-vpn.org/ and as mentioned Wireguard.

@Maounique You can give it a try.
    https://github.com/Ne00n/wg-mesh/tree/ipv6

As tested right now with 2 machines, works fine for me.
    Including forwarding traffic.

Thanked by 2Maounique ehab

@Neoon said:
    @Maounique You can give it a try.
    https://github.com/Ne00n/wg-mesh/tree/ipv6

As tested right now with 2 machines, works fine for me.
    Including forwarding traffic.

Better use experimental instead.
    https://github.com/Ne00n/wg-mesh/tree/experimental

I did a few fixes, especially regarding IPv6 only machines.
    Including a new API endpoint, to address this.

Finally I have a use for my Scaleway IPv6 only boxes.

Thanked by 1Maounique
  • BasToTheMaxBasToTheMax Member, Host Rep

@JabJab said:
    I've tried setting things here yesterday with wireguard, but due to having dynamic DNS at home and (I would guess) shitty router on IP change some (yeah, some...) tunnels are dropped and even after proper refresh ( https://github.com/WireGuard/wireguard-tools/blob/master/contrib/reresolve-dns/reresolve-dns.sh + ddclient running every 5 minutes to update DNS) they can't connect - just spam "no response from endpoint" - from both sides. I've stopped wireguard for 2 hours and one of those reconnected... for 5 minutes and then died again. Fuck it - I can't restart router every IP change.

Went with tailscale testing today, seems to be working nice, website is woah amazing. Yes, I know this goes via 3rd party servers... and this is exactly why I picked this - I assume (hope?) if my router decides to block/choke/shititselfagain the client (that is based on wireguard) will switch to theirs other endpoint with different IP and re-establish connection as cloudflared tunnel is working fine, for months :)

From what I've seen tailscale is not the fastest one, but I don't think I will be pushing > 300Mbit/s here.

also because 20 devices is not enough for any idler: https://www.reddit.com/r/selfhosted/comments/z0vg77/psa_you_can_get_tailscale_with_increased_maximum/

But tailscale systemd is meh - seems it returns faster than interface is actually created and for things that I wanted to bind strictly to tailscale interace/IP I had to run ExecStartPre=/bin/sleep 5 because Required and After wasn't enough :D

Tried to configure my wireguard earlier with wg-meshconf, but it's broken by design. AllowedIPs have wrong netmask; PersKeepAlive is applied on wrong end... totally not ready :D

There is a self hosted version of tailscale:
    https://github.com/juanfont/headscale

• I am using Netmaker (Kernel wireguard) & HeadScale (Self hosted Tailscale control plane/Userspace WireGuard)
    There are some other WG based soulutions like Netbird, Innernet. Non WG based ZeroTier.

This all is self-hosted solutions. There is hosted TailScale, ZeroTier available too.

Thanked by 1Not_Oles
  • @qquccs said:
    I am using Netmaker (Kernel wireguard) & HeadScale (Self hosted Tailscale control plane/Userspace WireGuard)
    There are some other WG based soulutions like Netbird, Innernet. Non WG based ZeroTier.

This all is self-hosted solutions. There is hosted TailScale, ZeroTier available too.

There's a windows client for Headscale?

Thanked by 1Not_Oles
  • https://github.com/juanfont/headscale/blob/main/docs/windows-client.md This is what their documentation says.
    You can check it out, hope it helps!

• OhJohnOhJohn Member

@raindog308

any news, have you tried some of the solutions mentioned here as of now?

@all : has anyone ever tried vpncloud? Looks interesting as well (in short: like tinc but better performance?) but seems to be a single maintainer...

• LeviLevi Member

Wireguard is the answer.

edited September 2023

@Neoon said:

@Maounique said:

I already had full IPv6 support in the older route bender, however it keep shitting itself when I used to browse over IPv6 using the Network.

I don't know why, I am not an IPv6 expert, however I blame my raspberry pi.
    Since IPv6 seemed stable within the Network, just not on my PI.

I could not be bothered to fix it, since its not my main use case.
    However, I can merge it into a separate branch or experimental and if people wanna help, they can.

Little necro, it was my Pi causing the issues.
    Since I reinstalled it, I am daily using IPv6 via the network since a few weeks, no issues.

My ISP became so lovely with Cloudflare that I end up with kbps when running the cloudflare speedtest.