Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is Shared Web Hosting exactly?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What is Shared Web Hosting exactly?

I recently signed up for shared web hosting with a provider who is on this site. They offered multiple shared web hosting plans but I opted for the one with unlimited domains, unlimited web space, unlimited bandwidth, and unlimited email accounts. Before checking out, I double checked with support that I would be able to run two websites with different domains and email. I was assured I would be able to.

After paying, I started setting up my genealogy site and a webstore that would be used for my woodworking hobby. I also set up email for my family. I tested sending email from the site and it was rejected by the receiver. The rejection was as follows:

Unfortunately, messages from [xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx] weren't sent. Please contact your Internet service provider since part of their network is on our block list (S3140).

I opened a ticket with this error and was told that the Shared Web Hosting plans aren't for email. I asked how I was supposed to send receipts to customers and was told that shared web hosting was definitely are not for webstores. I asked why these features were advertised but was just offered a refund in response. Is this the norm for shared web hosting? I am new to this so maybe my expectations are too high.

Thanked by 2alinull foxtare

Comments

• MannDudeMannDude Host Rep, Veteran

Who is the provider?

First red flag is "unlimited" storage and bandwidth. That's non-existent. Doesn't exist. And if it did, you aren't getting it for a few dollars a month.

With that said, emails should work fine from shared hosting. If delivery is mission critical, use a 3rd party mail service like MXRoute which I think most here would be happy to recommend or something like mail.baby (which I can recommend).

Thanked by 2kidrock greentea
  • edited March 2023

It is where you webhost and share resources like an IP address with sites like dogfart.cam and simpdating.pizza

Check the IP of the shared server at https://bgp.he.net/

• The provider was SolidSeoVPS. I should have figured it would have been too good to be true. I was happy with the quick refund though. Strangely enough, I did check the server IP using a blacklist checker and it reported it wasn't on any. I was able to send an email to a Google address but not Outlook. Is a VPS required for a webstore or should I be able to host a small store with shared web hosting?

Thanked by 1greentea
  • emghemgh Member
    edited March 2023

@excathedra said:
    The provider was SolidSeoVPS. I should have figured it would have been too good to be true. I was happy with the quick refund though. Strangely enough, I did check the server IP using a blacklist checker and it reported it wasn't on any. I was able to send an email to a Google address but not Outlook. Is a VPS required for a webstore or should I be able to host a small store with shared web hosting?

No.

Where are you located? US/EU etc?

Second red flag: ”seo” in brand name.

• I am located in the US. Why makes seo a red flag?

• edited March 2023

@excathedra said:
    The provider was SolidSeoVPS. I should have figured it would have been too good to be true. I was happy with the quick refund though. Strangely enough, I did check the server IP using a blacklist checker and it reported it wasn't on any. I was able to send an email to a Google address but not Outlook. Is a VPS required for a webstore or should I be able to host a small store with shared web hosting?

You should be able to do that with shared. As for email, Gmail will normally refuse it over Outlook for MX routing issues and blacklists. Are you sure it wasn't Outlook marking the email as spam due to content?

Check the email through https://mxtoolbox.com/deliverability

They have run a deal here before
    https://lowendbox.com/blog/awesome-cheap-dedi-and-cheap-windows-vps-systems-in-toronto-or-netherlands-from-solidseovps/

Thanked by 1alinull
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@excathedra said: I opened a ticket with this error and was told that the Shared Web Hosting plans aren't for email. I asked how I was supposed to send receipts to customers and was told that shared web hosting was definitely are not for webstores.

That is nonsense. You've described two very typical uses.

Sure, a very busy webstore could require resources that exceed what's reasonable for shared hosting but that's not what's being stated.

It must be nice to have a shared hosting business where no one sends email and no one runs ecommerce.

@excathedra said: I am located in the US. Why makes seo a red flag?

Your host really can't improve your SEO. Over the years there have been providers who claim to have secrets about the dark arts of SEO by using various tricks but it's nonsense.

Thanked by 2alinull crunchbits
  • emghemgh Member
    edited March 2023

@raindog308 said: Your host really can't improve your SEO. Over the years there have been providers who claim to have secrets about the dark arts of SEO by using various tricks but it's nonsense.

Only really one trick, country coded unique IP's.

Dosen't work though, lol.

Also, you’re right, they can’t improve it, but they sure can destory it.

Thanked by 1alinull
  • @excathedra said: The provider was SolidSeoVPS

sometimes, rarely provider blocks outgoin mails.
    I always ask them first before buying.

• Shared web hosting is a type of web hosting service where multiple websites are hosted on a single physical server and share its resources, including CPU, memory, disk space, and bandwidth. In this model, each website has its own separate directory or folder on the server, but they all share the same IP address and server resources.

This type of hosting is typically more affordable than other hosting options since the cost of maintaining the server is divided among multiple users. It is commonly used by individuals, small businesses, and organizations that have relatively low traffic and do not require high levels of customization or control over the server.

However, shared hosting can have some limitations, such as limited resources, performance issues during high traffic periods, and a lack of control over server configuration. Additionally, if one website on the shared server experiences a sudden spike in traffic or has a security breach, it can potentially impact the other websites hosted on the same server.

Thanked by 1alinull
  • VoidVoid Member

@hyperblast said:
    Shared web hosting is a type of web hosting service where multiple websites are hosted on a single physical server and share its resources, including CPU, memory, disk space, and bandwidth. In this model, each website has its own separate directory or folder on the server, but they all share the same IP address and server resources.

This type of hosting is typically more affordable than other hosting options since the cost of maintaining the server is divided among multiple users. It is commonly used by individuals, small businesses, and organizations that have relatively low traffic and do not require high levels of customization or control over the server.

However, shared hosting can have some limitations, such as limited resources, performance issues during high traffic periods, and a lack of control over server configuration. Additionally, if one website on the shared server experiences a sudden spike in traffic or has a security breach, it can potentially impact the other websites hosted on the same server.

Ok ChatGPT

• VoidVoid Member

@excathedra said:

Anyway you got your refund, now maybe make a post about your exact requirements and see providers commenting with their offers and pick one that is community trusted and suitable for your use case.

Oh btw, don’t pick any providers from LowEndBox unless you research them first like having presence here on LowEndTalk, offer threads and engagement etc.

• @jmaxwell said:

@hyperblast said:
    Shared web hosting is a type of web hosting service where multiple websites are hosted on a single physical server and share its resources, including CPU, memory, disk space, and bandwidth. In this model, each website has its own separate directory or folder on the server, but they all share the same IP address and server resources.

Ok ChatGPT

smart you are ;)

• HostWildHostWild Member, Host Rep
    edited March 2023

Hello! @excathedra

Shared Hosting exactly is suppose you are living in a hostel room with 2 or more other students which is everything you need to share with them.

Thanks & Regards
    Team HostWild.

• VoidVoid Member

@HostWild said:
    Hello! @excathedra

Shared Hosting exactly is suppose you are living in a hostel room with 2 or more other students which is everything you need to share with them.

Thanks & Regards
    Team HostWild.

But OP’s question is different though

• angstromangstrom Moderator

@excathedra said:

There are several good shared hosting providers that post offers here on LET, but I've never heard of SolidSeoVPS

Traditionally, email deliverability on shared hosting has been hit or miss due to the shared IP and to the lack of extra effort on the part of the provider, but nowadays, good shared hosting providers tend to use a third-party email service to ensure (much) better email deliverability, which means that especially for email, the choice of shared hosting provider is important

Otherwise, hosting a small store on shared hosting sounds like a perfectly reasonable application (though I'd probably opt for a mid-level hosting product for this as opposed to an entry-level product)

• SolidSeoVPSSolidSeoVPS Member, Patron Provider
    edited April 2023

Hi

We do offer cPanel VPS and dedicated server and has no issue on Email deliverability, we stopped offering shared hosting aside that its among the least profitable and alot of problems, but mainly is the hub for spammers.. This is why we ended up refunding the OP. I believe this is ongoing issue going with almost all shared hosting providers and this is why shared hosting is discontinued on our website.. We did offer the OP to get his own VPS or dedicated server but he was on the budget side

• bruh21bruh21 Member, Host Rep

@SolidSeoVPS said:
    Hi

We do offer cPanel VPS and dedicated server and has no issue on Email deliverability, we stopped offering shared hosting aside that its among the least profitable and alot of problems, but mainly is the hub for spammers.. This is why we ended up refunding the OP. I believe this is ongoing issue going with almost all shared hosting providers and this is why shared hosting is discontinued on our website.. We did offer the OP to get his own VPS or dedicated server but he was on the budget side

Would recommend using a service such as mail.baby from @interservermike in the future. I use it with my shared hosting to improve deliverability for customers.

Thanked by 1interservermike
  • Several websites can share a single physical server's resources, such as CPU, RAM, and disc space, under a shared web hosting arrangement. As a result, it is a cost-effective choice for small- to medium-sized websites. But it can also lead to security flaws and poorer website performance.

• @excathedra said: I asked why these features were advertised but was just offered a refund in response. Is this the norm for shared web hosting?

you can send something from 20 emails per hour to 300 emails per day on shared hosting plans. Some hosts offer more emails per day. But certainly if you try to send mass-emails, bulk emails like 5000 mails per hour from each cpanel account, etc. then they'll ask you to leave.