Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Reverse proxy closer to visitors or closer to services?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Reverse proxy closer to visitors or closer to services?

jamzjamz Member

Hello,

Quick question, which scenario would lead to better response times for end users: reverse proxy server closer to visitors or closer to the services it is proxying? Currently, my reverse proxy is on the West Coast while my main server is all the way in Germany. Would moving the proxy server to Germany yield better response times for users back on the West Coast? Maybe somewhere in the middle (e.g. NY) would be best?

Thanked by 1greentea

Comments

• closer to visitors. enable cache for overall better experiences.

Thanked by 3greentea ariq01 tinokun
  • It depends. If your website contains a lot of static files, then choosing one closer to visitors may be a better option. Otherwise, the former or the latter may just be the same.

• I guess it depends! If you users really are always in the US, then there's no harm having the proxy there. But if any of your users are ever in Europe, they'll see a pointless extra roundtrip to the US, so their latency is going to be terrible.