Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Stripe Price Increase in Europe: +46% for foreign cards - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Stripe Price Increase in Europe: +46% for foreign cards

2»

Comments

• Yeah, I'm planning to start selling a subscription product for $5-$10 per month (still TBD). If I were to have any dispute, it'd be trivial to fully refund and disable access to the service, so having any risk of a dispute fee just seems crazy.

Also, the inevitable outcome of this policy change will surely be that no supplier will just accept a dispute, they'll always argue against it if they're going to lose the dispute fee anyway.

• S4_JohnS4_John Member
    edited February 2023

@ralf said:
    Also the dispute fees seem crazy - if any customer can cost you £15 on any transaction, surely that make Stripe completely unsuitable for any transaction less than £15? Or is there a way to just automatically refund every dispute to avoid the fee?

No. At the moment a dispute is created, Stripe refunds the original purchase cost to the bank plus they take their dispute fee.

You can then accept the dispute, or you can challenge it, if you challenge and win then you currently get everything back. But from April 10th, you will get back the money from the bank and Stripe will keep the €20 fee.

• Has anyone used Square? Prices look quite good, especially for non-UK cards: https://squareup.com/gb/en/online-checkout

UK cards 1.4% + 25p per transaction
    non-UK/non-EEA cards 2.5% + 25p per transaction

From a quick look, it looks like you can only charge in currencies where you business has a physical presence

Main downside to me seems that you can only charge in the currencies your business has a physical presence in. Personally, I'd rather charge in USD even though I'm based in the UK.

• @speedypage said:

@tjn said:
    Wise announced today that they'll also start taking cards in the near feature:

Pay just 1% when you're paid with a personal card that's issued in the United Kingdom (UK).

Pay 2.9% when you're paid with a business card, or any personal card that's issued outside the UK.

Where do you see this? Struggling to find it on their site.

They sent me an email asking if I’d like to join their waitlist for it.

• risharderisharde Patron Provider, Veteran

All of these companies eventually get greedy. It's super frustrating. I remember when stripe was supposed to be the paypal killer and here's the opportunistic move years later.

• LeviLevi Member
    edited February 2023

@risharde said:
    All of these companies eventually get greedy. It's super frustrating. I remember when stripe was supposed to be the paypal killer and here's the opportunistic move years later.

Stripe is PP killer. It has better API, better interface, more products. The problem is that Stripe getting greedy to much, banking on user base to not leave. Just like Netflix, who retracted their "no password sharing" policy after massive backlash.

The same will happen to Stripe. This is good, it will allow to emerge alternatives. And cycle continues.

• JordJord Moderator, Host Rep

I've actually started working with a few of our partners who are cheaper than Stripe, as we use Stripe, so looking for a better solution; if anyone needs any help, feel free to DM me, and I can see what they can offer you.

• Does anyone has gateway which works in EU and tolerates hosting industry?

• dfroedfroe Member, Host Rep

It's really sad that Stripe is hiking their prices that way after they established a great alternative to PayPal.
    While looking for cheap credit card payment gateways within the EU, Mollie looks quite promising.
    Although their web panel is significantly missing some of Stripe's maturity and features, it might do the job for simple payment tasks and I will give it a try.
    Adyen seems a classical and direct alternative but I don't know how easy it is for smaller companies to onboard.
    Thanks @LTniger and @RickBakkr for the recommendations.

• @LTniger said:
    Does anyone has gateway which works in EU and tolerates hosting industry?

Several other high risk industries (crypto, gambling etc) in Europe have started to moving towards Open Banking payments, ditching cards altogether.
    Open Banking laws require banks to open up their APIs enabling bank transfers between merchants and customers through Payment Initiation Service Providers (PSPs), that when combined with real-time clearing systems such as SEPA Instant in Europe (Member list here) or the Faster Payment Service in the UK (Member list here) enable cheaper, faster and more secure payments authorised through the banking application which reduces chargebacks.

A full list of PSPs and the banks that they support can be found here. I'm not aware of what WHMCS integrations currently exist within the open banking space, but it may be worth taking a look at GoCardless and Trustly. Plaid also supports US banks, though I believe they screen-scrape instead of using APIs. Aiia could be another alternative, owned by Mastercard - or Tink owned by Visa.

• Klarna is great and the fee's are acceptable.