Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Request to Admin of this forums.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Request to Admin of this forums.

DataIdeas-JoshDataIdeas-Josh Member, Patron Provider

Can we please make it where when open a link it opens it in a new tab/window?
~Josh

Thanked by 2RIYAD Carlin0
Open in new tab
  1. Do you want your links in a new tab?168 votes
    1. Yes
      69.05%
    2. No
      17.86%
    3. Does it matter?
      13.10%

Comments

• MannDudeMannDude Host Rep, Veteran

Yes.

Thanked by 2treesmokah greentea
  • No.

What if I don't want to open those links in a new tab and driving users away from forum is admin idea?! :D

On serious note: we smart enough to click middle mouse/hold ctrl - users should be able to control what they want how and where they want!

Thanked by 2yoursunny feezioxiii
  • @JabJab said: we smart enough to click middle mouse/hold ctrl

Not everyone has IQ above average.
    Just look at the front page and threads that pop from time to time.

• DataIdeas-JoshDataIdeas-Josh Member, Patron Provider

@MikeA said:
    I always middle click my mouse to open any links in a new tab out of habit.

I agree its habit to middle click but I still catch myself having to click the back button to go back here.

• treesmokahtreesmokah Member
    edited February 2023

I feel like it should be a default on any website(or a toggle-on like on DDG or SearX/NG).

• thats not included in $200.

• MannDudeMannDude Host Rep, Veteran
    edited February 2023

@JabJab said:
    No.

What if I don't want to open those links in a new tab and driving users away from forum is admin idea?! :D

On serious note: we smart enough to click middle mouse/hold ctrl - users should be able to control what they want how and where they want!

I think the idea was for threads / discussions mainly.

I'm the type that will skim the forum index, open a few threads in their own tabs that I want to catch up on or read. While I wheel-click like most, it'd be convenient when I'm on my laptop or something and don't want to ctrl+click.

• No one knows how to use the middle mouse button or ctrl+LMB?

• IdlingIdling Member
    edited February 2023

Make another website lowendtalk-new-window.com.

• @Idling said:

@DP you got this one available?

Thanked by 1BlaZe
  • DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy
    edited February 2023

@MikeA said:

Thanks for reminding me that there are quite a number of things that can be done with the middle click :smiley:

Chrome/Firefox:

• Middle-click on the back button: Open the previous page in a new tab.
    • Middle-click on the forward button: Open any subsequent page in a new tab.
    • Middle-click on the refresh button: Open a refreshed version of this page in a new tab.
    • Middle-click on the home button: Open homepage in a new tab.
    • Middle-click on an auto-suggest entry while typing in the location bar: Open this search/result in a new tab.
    • Middle-click on a bookmark: Open bookmark in a new tab.
    • Middle-click on a bookmark group: Open entire group of bookmarks in new tabs.
    • Close a tab by middle-clicking on the tab.
    • Paste text in Firefox with a middle click, by enabling the middlemouse.paste option in about:config.

References:

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/hidden-middle-click-tricks-web/
    https://lifehacker.com/the-many-things-you-can-do-with-a-middle-click-on-your-1565756062

@CheepCluck said:

@Idling said:

Too long :smiley:

Thanked by 1sebkehl
  • @DP said:

@CheepCluck said:

@Idling said:

Too long :smiley:

well never heard anyone say that to me before. 😊

• I always do a ctrl + left click while opening threads.

• BlaZeBlaZe Member, Host Rep

Yes! please!

btw, I hold CTRL and then click on any link. This has become a habit for me now.

Thanked by 2default emg
  • touchscreen: yes please dont make me hold my thumb and tap open in new tab.

Thanked by 1NobodyInteresting

@internetwarrior said:
    touchscreen: yes please dont make me hold my thumb and tap open in new tab.

Actually that is a very good point. Mobile users would really benefit from this.

• ralfralf Member
    edited February 2023

Personally, I like the existing behaviour and actually do use both middle-click to open in a new tab and normal click when I want to stay in the current tab. Forcing people to always open in a new tab sounds like a terrible solution, and also would be contrary to normal user expectations.

In normal use, I middle-click from the main page to threads I want to read, but then usually navigate from the thread with a normal click if there's a link I want to click (which there usually isn't, but if there is I'll visit it after reading everything else on the page).

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

@DataIdeas-Josh said:

@MikeA said:

I agree its habit to middle click but I still catch myself having to click the back button to go back here.

Does it affect your marketing tracking? as if potential customer click and go back and again as accidentally clicked back button so tracked double visit.

Personally, no issue as visiting links using right click on mouse and select options (mouse has two buttons in my case) 😂

• Agreed. Middle click works if you have a mouse but for mobile/touch devices it is annoying af.

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

Disagree.
    I do most web browsing on touchscreen.
    I prefer everything to open in current tab.
    On this forum, my typical flow is reading one thread, going back, and then opening another.

Thanked by 1WebProject
  • Can be done for outward links but apart from that I don't think it's needed tbh.

• Some time ago Firefox changed the behavior when you right-click an image. Previously the first option was "View Image". It would open in the current tab, but you could hold SHIFT to open it in a new tab. You had a choice. Now it's only "Open Image in New Tab" and when you hold SHIFT, it... opens a new window. What a retarded change.

• @MannDude said: I think the idea was for threads / discussions mainly.

Wait, what? For internal links? I was pretty sure the idea was for external links aka user posted something in post body and force those to open in new tab... but if we talking about internal links then fuck no, never - it's gonna be epic mess - some internal links opens in new tab, some not. You clicked discussion link from main page - new tab. You clicked discussion link from user post - same tab? You clicked username from discussion to check user profile - same tab? You gonna get confused and even more angry over time - you will expect things to open in new tab and they will not. Now you know the expected behavior, you need to learn it once and just adjust... with RNG in play you are doomed.

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

No, the fuck why?

109votes in one day and (rounded up) 69% (Nice) is saying yes.
    @jbiloh Thoughts?

• emgemg Veteran

@BlaZe said:
    Yes! please!

btw, I hold CTRL and then click on any link. This has become a habit for me now.

And on a Mac, it works the same way.
    -> Hold the Command (⌘) key when you click a link and it will create a new tab. It works in many browsers.

Thanked by 1BlaZe
  • Can't imagine the current method not hurting retention. Too many times have I clicked on a 3rd party link and not came back because I was already X pages/links deep into the other site and clicking the back button is too cumbersome. Also annoying if you use the back button because then Vanilla will take you to the latest comment and you have to scroll all the way back up to start reading comments. It also adds more friction on mobile and laptop because it takes an extra 2 steps for every link (if you remember).

• _MS__MS_ Member
    edited February 2023

The only vote that matters is @jbiloh's.

I think only the external links should open in new tabs. I find the sites that open every link in new (background/foreground) tab annoying.