Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ubuntu Pro is Now Available to Anyone Who Wants It
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Ubuntu Pro is Now Available to Anyone Who Wants It

Tony40Tony40 Member
edited February 2023 in News

If you’ve been itching to sign up to Ubuntu Pro you’ll be pleased to know you can.

Canonical has announced the general availability of Ubuntu Pro, its subscription-based service that offers ten years of extended security updates for Ubuntu’s ‘main’ package set, plus an extra 23,000 packages available in in the ‘universe’ repo.

Ubuntu Pro launched in beta back in October but, as of January 26, it enters ‘general availability’. It is available for Ubuntu 14.04 LTS, 16.04 LTS, 18.04 LTS, 20.04 LTS, and 22.04 LTS.

This chart provides a quick and easy overview of the support:

* Ubuntu Pro is free for personal use on up to 5 PCs. Ubuntu members can use it for free on up to 50 PCs.

https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2023/01/ubuntu-pro-general-availability

Thanked by 2jlet88 ariq01

Comments

• Thank you for the heads up.

• stefemanstefeman Member
    edited February 2023

Best joke of the day. Zero added value.

• Snap! Ubuntu Pro

Thanked by 1default
  • No. Thank you.

Debian please.

• SwiftnodeSwiftnode Member, Host Rep
    1. Requiring YAML for networking configuration was incredibly stupid.

2. Hiding security related updates behind ESM was stupid.

3. Canonical moving from the Debian installer to the subquiti installer was stupid. (Endless issues with installs were never a problem on the Debian installer.)

4. Removing the netboot image from 22.04 onward was stupid.

5. The fact that the ifnames issue still happens across Ubuntu versions is stupid. It was originally discovered in like 2011, and the solution presented then is still the solution today. (net.ifnames=0 biosdevname=0)

Ubuntu has become a collection of bad development decisions. I see absolutely no reason to use it over Debian.

• I love Debian too, but Ubuntu is used by a lot of people and enterprises, so any additional support is noteworthy and welcome. I don't see a downside. If someone doesn't like Ubuntu, no problem, use something else. Debian rocks.

And honestly, this is good for Debian too in a sense. It reinforces Canonical's interest to continue a good working relationship with Debian a little more, not to mention any work Canonical does on many packages benefits Debian users too. It's a win-win IMO. Not earth-shaking news, but still good for everyone overall.

Cup half full.

• @Swiftnode said:

Ubuntu has become a collection of bad development decisions. I see absolutely no reason to use it over Debian.

Could not agree more. For years, I used a mix of Debian server and Ubuntu server to 18.04, but now only use Debian.

Thanked by 1treesmokah
  • @Weblogics said:

@Swiftnode said:

Could not agree more. For years, I used a mix of Debian server and Ubuntu server to 18.04, but now only use Debian.

I really like Debian and I vouch for it.
    Its an extremely stable and reliable system, you do not need "enterprise support" if you have at least one person with brain in your team.

• MannDudeMannDude Host Rep, Veteran

@treesmokah said:
    you do not need "enterprise support" if you have at least one person with brain in your team.

who can search errors and read through a dozen different tabs from StackSocial, GitHub, a reddit post from 2012, etc.

FTFY :)

Thanked by 1treesmokah
  • treesmokahtreesmokah Member
    edited February 2023

@MannDude said:

@treesmokah said:
    you do not need "enterprise support" if you have at least one person with brain in your team.

who can search errors and read through a dozen different tabs from StackSocial, GitHub, a reddit post from 2012, etc.

FTFY :)

I usually solve my issues with RedHat knowledge base(even though I use Debian) or some small blogs.
    Either way, Debian is so popular - there is literally no problem that cannot be solved.