Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Requirements to create a web hosting server
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Requirements to create a web hosting server

Hello everyone,

I am a web designer and currently host my clients' site on a reseller hosting service, but now I want to create my own hosting server. Because it will give me more freedom. (and maybe even more profit.) I'll also maybe start a hosting provider business in the future.

Most of my sites are built with wordpress. I've done a lot of research and will find a server but I'm undecided on what software to use.

I bought a whmcs license.
I am thinking of using directadmin as hosting panel. (I was using cpanel)
I'm going to buy a Litespeed license. (enterprise)
I will also use Cloudlinux.

I don't know what to do for a safe backup. Is Jetbackup enough?

What else do you need for a good hosting server? Or any advice for that?

Comments

• greenteagreentea Member
    edited February 2023

Cloudpanel.io is a free control panel that works amazing with Wordpress sites. I use it on all my web hosting servers.

Cloudpanel also has Redis and Varnish Cache built in, which is a free caching solution you could use in place of litespeed.

BUT

I think you should stick to what your good at, designing and leave the headache of hosting to a reputable company with reseller plans. It not only saves you time (e.x. 2am technical support phone calls) in the long run, but also a crap ton of money.

• billing - whmcs
    server mangement - cpanel / directadmin
    webserver - nginx / litespeed
    installer - softaculous
    security - cloudlinux, imunify360 / cpguard
    backup - jetbackup (don't do same server as backup)
    mail : mailbaby / mailchannels

you also need firewall data center for DDoS

and good luck

• kdhkdh Member
    edited February 2023

@thecreator_ said:
    Hello everyone,

I am a web designer and currently host my clients' site on a reseller hosting service, but now I want to create my own hosting server. Because it will give me more freedom. (and maybe even more profit.) I'll also maybe start a hosting provider business in the future.

Most of my sites are built with wordpress. I've done a lot of research and will find a server but I'm undecided on what software to use.

I bought a whmcs license.
    I am thinking of using directadmin as hosting panel. (I was using cpanel)
    I'm going to buy a Litespeed license. (enterprise)
    I will also use Cloudlinux.

I personally use ApisCP on my managed hosting services. It just performs well, without the need to buy all those other softwares (Performs Similar to or Outperforms LiteSpeed with httpd / Built-in CloudLinux-like functionality / Don't necessarily require additional things like Immunify360)
    The problem is that most people find it kinda new to the panel, that's why I only use it for managed plans.

For unmanaged shared hosting, I'll recommend also having things like Immunify360, KernelCare, CageFS, MailChannels, and WordPress Toolkit.

I strongly recommend you stay away from the 'master reseller' or 'alpha reseller' bullshit.

Thanked by 1thecreator_
  • NetDynamics24NetDynamics24 Member, Host Rep

@thecreator_ said:

Jetbackup AND cpanel (or DA) embedded backups on remote FTP space.

Thanked by 1thecreator_
  • verovero Member, Host Rep

@thecreator_ said:
    Hello everyone,

I'll also maybe start a hosting provider business in the future.

That would be a downgrade from web design in all aspects.

@thecreator_ said:

You should pick control panel that you're (and your clients) the most comfortable with, so it wouldn't be problematic installing/adjusting/fixing things or moving data.

@logaritse said:

BUT

I think you should stick to what your good at, designing and leave the headache of hosting to a reputable company with reseller plans. It not only saves you time (e.x. 2am technical support phone calls) in the long run, but also a crap ton of money.

Legit.

@logaritse said:

and good luck

This should come first IMO.

• As a fellow webdesigner, I can tell you that I've come to prefer (decent) reseller/shared hosting over vps. More convenient, includes lots of licenses you'd usually have to pay for (DA/cPanel, LS, Jetbackup, CloudLinux..), often comes with daily backups (ofc also make your own) and overall can save you lots of headache. If you want to make more profit, try to change Reseller Hosting. Self hosting will likely only cause you more trouble than is worth it. Only reason would be if you often need some sort of custom setup that isn't satisfied by regular shared hosting, but since most sites I build rely either on WordPress or easy HTML/CSS (Tailwind/Bootstrap) I don't really need a vps setup.

• I'm a web designer. Believe me, a reseller plan on a stable, reliable host will save you money and more importantly your sanity.

• Who's offering nginx? With wordpress nginx is no go. Especially with advanced modules. .htaccess support should be essential.

• @LTniger said:
    Who's offering nginx? With wordpress nginx is no go. Especially with advanced modules. .htaccess support should be essential.

Everyone is in some sort of DRAMA that Nginx is super duper fast on everything and httpd is super slow :wink:

Thanked by 1thecreator_
  • @kdh said:

@LTniger said:
    Who's offering nginx? With wordpress nginx is no go. Especially with advanced modules. .htaccess support should be essential.

Everyone is in some sort of DRAMA that Nginx is super duper fast on everything and httpd is super slow :wink:

Apache is good. Only for special cases nginx, litespeed or any other server. Don't overcomplicate your miserable life even more.

Thanked by 1thecreator_
  • Judging from what you said, I think it's too early for you to set up a hosting service (let alone a proper hosting business). You will be hacked in no time

• @LTniger said:

@kdh said:

@LTniger said:

Apache is good. Only for special cases nginx, litespeed or any other server. Don't overcomplicate your miserable life even more.

Apache is great & solid, and it'll be fast on the static part also if you enable Event MPM.
    I have no idea why someone made up this drama blaming Apache for something like 'an outdated slow legacy product'.

Thanked by 1thecreator_