Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Bunny.net DNS opinions
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Bunny.net DNS opinions

I learned about Bunny.net DNS services in this thread: https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/184054/what-dns-provider-do-you-use

Looks like a good product, with a good interface, very good features, but I can't find any real reviews about specifically the DNS service. It's also not listed on DNSperf, so I can't figure out how it compares to the big players. Plus it also seems like it's still in the "Preview" stage of development.

The pricing is good though, and the rest of Bunny.net has pretty good reviews.

20 million queries for free, reasonable prices after that. Worth checking out.

Any opinions about it? How does it compare to the normal contenders? Is it production worthy?

P.S. One thing I noticed is that the "bunny" marketing motif is all over the place -- too much for my taste -- including the names of the DNS servers themselves. But if the service is great, I'd still be willing to use it.

Comments

• I love it - you can point your own ns1 & ns2 to their IPs and use your own virtual nameserver addresses.

Thanked by 1jlet88
  • @Dean said:
    I love it - you can point your own ns1 & ns2 to their IPs and use your own virtual nameserver addresses.

Cool, thank you -- have you had any reliability issues? Any weird bugs?

• I like it and have been using it since the beta with no issues, for a few months now.

The only strange occurrence was their support saying they would not support wildcard MX because "they shouldn't be used in the real world" and that they don't intend to support them. But they seem to work fine now.

The DNS Scripts, like serverless functions for returning DNS Records, are sorta interesting too. But they only support returning a few record types so far like a/aaaa/cname/txt, so a bit limited.

They've got some other cool features normally gated behind paywalls like full query logs and custom nameservers. Not bad pricing either.

Thanked by 2jlet88 akhfa
  • Thanks, @RealChaika and @Dean -- I'm going to play around with it and see what happens. I'm nervous about putting anything critical on it yet, but the features/price seem really good, appreciate your feedback.

Maybe over time I'll get more confidence with it. I don't like putting anything important on something that's still labeled "Preview" (at least that's how it's labeled in my control panel right now). But the company has a good reputation so... it's worth testing.

• has worked without issue for the past 6 months for my admittedly basic needs (about 50 records on a single domain).

Thanked by 1jlet88
  • I like using bunny dns, because it's integrated with bunnycdn, so we can activate full site acceleration, similar to cloudflare proxied

Thanked by 2jlet88 let_rocks
  • They do a really good job with their DNS service. I have been using them for Geo-location of a couple of web sites since the beta.

Thanked by 1jlet88
  • ezethezeth Member, Patron Provider

Still no DNSSEC support

• @ezeth said:
    Still no DNSSEC support

Really? Now thats a dealbreaker. :disappointed:

• ezethezeth Member, Patron Provider

@rcy026 said:

@ezeth said:
    Still no DNSSEC support

I know right

2023 DNS and no DNSSEC. Like wtf?

• FatGrizzlyFatGrizzly Member, Host Rep

@ezeth said:

@rcy026 said:

@ezeth said:
    Still no DNSSEC support

I know right

even he.net doesnt support on master servers.

Thanked by 1jlet88

@ezeth said:

@rcy026 said:

@ezeth said:
    Still no DNSSEC support

I know right

jesus boomer, check your own shit before shitting on another provider.

• I've been testing it out the last few days (thanks for all your thoughts!) and so far I like it. I'm not a fan of the goofy DNS server names (kiki.bunny.net!) but the service seems good so far -- quick, nice interface, lots of great features (except DNSSEC which has been pointed out), useful analytics, and it even has a ping/http check on your site included for free if I understand correctly, which is cool. I'm only a few days in, but it's a good start. Also, customer support has been responsive and nice.

The billing goes something like this, from what I understand: basically to use their services in general, after any free trial time period, you have a minimum monthly $1 maintenance fee if you don't already consume $1 of resources. But then after that, for the DNS, it's unlimited zones with 20 million "standard" queries free. Then $0.1/million after that. Smart queries cost more. So that's pretty generous IMO for a high-performance anycast DDoS-protected DNS service with tons of features.

I don't have long-term experience with them yet (obviously), and I'm still cautious about the "preview status" of the DNS service, and I'd like to see DNSSEC added ASAP. So I don't think I'll use it for production yet, but I will keep a few lower-importance domains there for a while to see how they go over time, and then maybe if my confidence increases I'll throw in a production domain.

But yeah, this is a neat service, and I want to thank everyone again for their feedback. I'm still searching for other services, and ran across Zonomi DNS and LuaDNS too ( https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/184203/zonomi-dns-and-luadns-opinions ) and will be exploring some other services as well (besides the big players) until I get the combination of services I need. But Bunny.net is definitely a good option, but I'm not quite on board for production-level DNS with them yet.

@jlet88 try desec.io too. normal dns with no smart stuff, but works great.

Thanked by 1jlet88
  • @FatGrizzly said:

Yes, thank you! I will. I have a short list of DNS providers to try out that I've never used before and desec.io is on it. I haven't gotten to it yet since I'm looking at global and/or anycast networks first... BUT since you brought it up, I just looked at the site again now and I can see I missed that! Looks like desec is indeed anycast, so I'll bump it up the list to check out! Thank you! :)

@jlet88 said:

@FatGrizzly said:

Yes, thank you! I will. I have a short list of DNS providers to try out that I've never used before and desec.io is on it. I haven't gotten to it yet since I'm looking at global and/or anycast networks first... BUT since you brought it up, I just looked at the site again now and I can see I missed that! Looks like desec is indeed anycast, so I'll bump it up the list to check out! Thank you! :)

Can you post the list? Would be really ehlpful

• jlet88jlet88 Member
    edited February 2023

@FatGrizzly said:

@jlet88 said:

@FatGrizzly said:

Can you post the list? Would be really ehlpful

Sure, the following are the DNS providers on my current short list, some of which I already knew about and even some I have technically used before (a long time ago, so it's not "fresh info"), and most are totally new to me. I'm doing a big personal evaluation of all of them over the next few weeks. They all look interesting to me for one reason or another. Your personal list might be very different than mine.

The main thing for me is that I decided to move all remaining domains away from using my registrars and/or hosting providers as DNS providers and look for replacements for pretty much ALL my DNS. I plan to consolidate around no more than a few of the following DNS providers.

BTW, I am not a fan of Cloudflare AT ALL. Long story, different discussion, but I am not interested in Cloudflare any more. Also, I want to separate out DNS from registrar, and as you know, Cloudlflare sucks you into their massive ecosystem and that's that. So Cloudflare is a big obvious one not on my list.

So here's my current list (not necessarily in any order):

LuaDNS
    Bunny.net DNS
    Zonomi DNS
    ClouDNS
    Gcore DNS
    1984 (free, but also paid support versions)
    DNSimple
    Exoscale (which uses DNSimple to some degree, I can't tell how intertwined their DNS is yet)
    Nusec DNS
    Zilore DNS
    he.net
    desec.io
    afraid.org aka "FreeDNS"

I've looked at a lot of other services, and ruled them out for various personal reasons, or just good ol' price. For example, Digicert's DNS Made Easy is more $$$ than I want to spend. But it is definitely a good service. Just not for me. Likewise for Neustar's UltraDNS, nothing against them but also not for me.

The ones above kind of hit a sweet spot for me, just a matter of drilling down through them and deciding what is most important to me. If I can't select from the list above, there's something wrong with me. :o :D

Thanked by 2SirFoxy Walled_Knot
  • I have been using BunnyDNS for ~6 months. No issue.

Thanked by 1jlet88
  • @umzak said:
    I like using bunny dns, because it's integrated with bunnycdn, so we can activate full site acceleration, similar to cloudflare proxied

Could it be used on WordPress sites or static sites only?

• @hiphiphip0 said:

@umzak said:
    I like using bunny dns, because it's integrated with bunnycdn, so we can activate full site acceleration, similar to cloudflare proxied

Good question, I'm curious too, if someone has tried it. I have NOT tried the cdn integration. Just using Bunny.net for purely DNS right now myself. I want to keep DNS separate.

• @hiphiphip0 said:

@umzak said:

It can be used on WordPress, I use bunny full site acceleration for several wordpress sites. We have to turn off perma-cache on the accelerated CDN zone. Perma-Cache is disabled by default.

Generally perma-cache shouldn't be used in full-site page acceleration scenarios, since it doesn't deal with dynamic content.

Thanked by 2jlet88 hiphiphip0
  • @jlet88 - Any updates? Have you narrowed your choices? I'm eyeballing bunny.net too.

I've been using and have been very happy with DnsMadeEasy for several years but their price increases are ludicrous when I look at the small number of queries I get versus what they are charging now. ClouDNS looks interesting (half the price) but they also appear to be half as fast.

Thanked by 1jlet88
  • febryanvaldofebryanvaldo Member
    edited June 2023

Have been using Bunny.net DNS since the beginning (beta), there were some bugs back then, but right now i hardly find any, and i love the new dashboard panel.

Thanked by 1Walled_Knot
  • jlet88jlet88 Member

@jeffshead said:
    @jlet88 - Any updates? Have you narrowed your choices? I'm eyeballing bunny.net too.

I've been using and have been very happy with DnsMadeEasy for several years but their price increases are ludicrous when I look at the small number of queries I get versus what they are charging now. ClouDNS looks interesting (half the price) but they also appear to be half as fast.

Since I collected a "short" list of 13 DNS providers mentioned earlier in the thread, I have tried all of them and honestly I'm still in a kind of long-term test on some of them. I actually think all the ones on my list of 13 are pretty good, but it really boils down to what services match your personal needs, preferences, pricing, etc.

What might be great for me might not be great for you, and so forth. I don't want to call out any that were "worse" than others because I think they are actually all pretty good at this point.

So I don't have a definitive solution for my own needs TBH, but I expect I'll continue to use several of them. As of right now, there are a few I "like" more than others just due to personal preferences, but that doesn't mean they are "better". So I suggest you take a look at all them to see if one or more of them will work in your situation.

This was my list of 13 in Februrary (not in any particular order):

1. LuaDNS
    2. Bunny.net DNS
    3. Zonomi DNS
    4. ClouDNS
    5. Gcore DNS
    6. 1984 (free, but also paid support versions)
    7. DNSimple
    8. Exoscale (which uses DNSimple to some degree, I can't tell how intertwined their DNS is yet)
    9. Nusec DNS
    10. Zilore DNS
    11. he.net
    12. desec.io
    13. afraid.org aka "FreeDNS"

I also added

1. Hostio

...but I have not tested Hostio yet.

Again, keep in mind I have not "decided" even for myself which ones I will keep using, and I'm still doing a longer-term test on several of them with some domains. I don't think DNS can really be tested short-term anyway -- at least for me -- since there are so many factors, especially reliability, customer service, etc., that one might not be able to evaluate fairly until more time has passed.

However, of the 13-14, there are a couple I "like" so far a little more than others as of today, and if they keep holding up well for me, then I will stick with them.

For example, I actually have come to really like LuaDNS for some reason. It's been very reliable so far, and I really like their simple and clean interface and the specific features are just fine for most of what I need to do. However, I am concerned that LuaDNS appears to be run by only one or two guys, so I don't know how reliable it will be if something bad happens, or how solid the customer service will hold up. So the jury is still out on LuaDNS, but the actual features and performance have been very good for me so far for what I need. So I like them but am not fully convinced yet, if that makes sense.

Another one I already like is ClouDNS. Again, I'm not 100% convinced yet, but they haven't given me problems so far, and they seem very solid. I haven't had to deal with customer service yet, but if it keeps going well for me, I'll likely keep them as one of my providers.

Again, nothing is set in stone, and I like that I'm taking my time with several providers. I'm not done... and I'm still testing Bunny.net, among others.

As for Bunny.net, I have a few domains there and the performance is very good. The features are fine as well, and I WANT to like them, but I'm not convinced yet. I have had issues with their redirect feature, which was extremely frustrating. On the other hand, they are still technically "beta" so I can't expect every feature to work perfectly yet. So I am in a holding pattern with them, and only use them for domains that I don't need any redirects on. I will test redirects again in the near future to see if they have improved. But otherwise they have been good, and I am optimistic about Bunny.net.

Hope that helps a little. Good luck!

• sreekanth850sreekanth850 Member
    edited June 2023

@umzak said:

If you are looking for proxying, for that even without dns, you can use bunny. By creating a pullzone and set your origin ip as pullzone origin, and set up a cname to bunny pullzone, it will hide your IP address + you get CDN acceleration. You can also set up firewall to route only bunny IP (They will share their IP ranges).

edited June 2023

I 'd tested it and worked great. Biggest issue is the lack of websocket support, so if you use their accelerated mode you cannot use any real time protocols like websockets. Support told that if you use their DNS or Pullzone, websockets will not work. But they are working on it and will support websockets soon.

• @jlet88 said: DNSimple

Don't they just use Cloudflare? When you dig their nameservers it just responds with Cloudflare IPs.

• @febryanvaldo said: Have been using Bunny.net DNS since the beginning (beta), there were some bugs back then, but right now i hardly find any, and i love the new dashboard panel.

Bunny.net DNS is nice, but it lacks DNSSEC, CNAME Flattening, and Secondary DNS. I am not satisfied with its health check. While the health check detects when a server is down, the DNS, even with a TTL of 15 seconds, takes a long time to stop routing traffic to the down server. I have also tested GCore DNS, which is able to stop routing traffic faster than Bunny.

Currently, I am using Hybula DNS, which is a beta product. It has fewer nodes, but it swiftly detects downtime like Bunny and ensures that users are routed to the live server in less than 30 seconds.

I am planning to test a Cloudflare workers-based approach for load balancing and using an API to remove/add servers based on health checks. I will also be testing Bunny's API. This way, I can avoid using their health checks and utilize my own, removing or adding servers depending on uptime using the API. Might also test the big four providers: AWS, Google Cloud DNS, Azure and Oracle DNS.

edited June 2023

@Merakith said:

@febryanvaldo said: Have been using Bunny.net DNS since the beginning (beta), there were some bugs back then, but right now i hardly find any, and i love the new dashboard panel.

Bunny.net DNS is nice, but it lacks DNSSEC, CNAME Flattening, and Secondary DNS. I am not satisfied with its health check. While the health check detects when a server is down, the DNS, even with a TTL of 15 seconds, takes a long time to stop routing traffic to the down server. I have also tested GCore DNS, which is able to stop routing traffic faster than Bunny.

Currently, I am using Hybula DNS, which is a beta product. It has fewer nodes, but it swiftly detects downtime like Bunny and ensures that users are routed to the live server in less than 30 seconds.

I am planning to test a Cloudflare workers-based approach for load balancing and using an API to remove/add servers based on health checks. I will also be testing Bunny's API. This way, I can avoid using their health checks and utilize my own, removing or adding servers depending on uptime using the API. Might also test the big four providers: AWS, Google Cloud DNS, Azure and Oracle DNS.

what is their pricing?