Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Bunny.net DNS opinions - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Bunny.net DNS opinions

2»

Comments

• I'm using bunny dns for some of my domains, no issues so far.

Anybody using vultr dns?

• treesmokahtreesmokah Member
    edited June 2023

@Doprodvps said: Anybody using vultr dns?

I did, its extremely basic but fine.
    Support was not able to tell me whether you have to keep active paid services with them to utilize it or not, so yeah, its provided as it is and they aren't really open about its capabilities.
    Wouldn't trust in prod.

Thanked by 1Doprodvps
  • DazzleDazzle Member

@treesmokah said:

I did, its extremely basic but fine.
    Support was not able to tell me whether you have to keep active paid services with them to utilize it or not, so yeah, its provided as it is and they aren't really open about its capabilities.
    Wouldn't trust in prod.

No need to keep a service active. I'm using it since around 2 years without any active service, managing more than 10 zones.

• emghemgh Member

@treesmokah said: Support was not able to tell me whether you have to keep active paid services with them to utilize it or not

90 % sure it's just fee

• @sreekanth850 said: what is their pricing?

They have not set a price yet since it's in beta. There is no ETA for the launch yet. You can discuss it with them.

• mwtmwt Member

If you are looking for SSL certs: https://github.com/mwt/certbot-dns-bunny

• @mwt said:

They have auto ssl. But wildcard is not supported.

• @Merakith said:

@sreekanth850 said: what is their pricing?

They have not set a price yet since it's in beta. There is no ETA for the launch yet. You can discuss it with them.

Thank you. will check with them.

• @sreekanth850 said: Thank you. will check with them.

• @febryanvaldo said:

@sreekanth850 said: Thank you. will check with them.

Not in a hurry, let them publish the prices. otherwise it will be risky to go with.

• BasToTheMaxBasToTheMax Member, Host Rep

Does Bunnynet DNS have limit of the amount of records in a zone?

• @BasToTheMax said:
    Does Bunnynet DNS have limit of the amount of records in a zone?

This is the response I received from Bunny.net few months ago.

Hello **,

Thank you for contacting http://bunny.net/">bunny.net

I can confirm that we do not have any limits on how much you can add for the DNS zones and DNS records.

Please do let us know if there's anything else we can assist you with.
    Best Regards,
    Renz

• JasonMJasonM Member

@RealChaika said: I like it and have been using it since the beta with no issues, for a few months now.

can we use it (dns) without bunny cdn?

• @JasonM said:

@RealChaika said: I like it and have been using it since the beta with no issues, for a few months now.

You can. I'm using DNS only without any CDN setup.

Thanked by 2JasonM RealChaika
  • @JasonM said:

Yes.

• mwtmwt Member

@sreekanth850 said:

@mwt said:

They have auto ssl. But wildcard is not supported.

I don't use the cdn at the moment

• pbxpbx Member

@emgh said: 90 % sure it's just fee

Last time I checked, you were supposed to have a running server with them to use it.
    In practice, if you have an account you can use it with no active service. They might not allow this forever (i.e. if too many people do that) but probably have no reason to care much as it cost them virtually nothing to run.

Thanked by 1emgh
  • emghemgh Member

@pbx said:

@emgh said: 90 % sure it's just fee

Last time I checked, you were supposed to have a running server with them to use it.
    In practice, if you have an account you can use it with no active service. They might not allow this forever (i.e. if too many people do that) but probably have no reason to care much as it cost them virtually nothing to run.

Yeah, I imagine having someone passively use it costs way less than they stand to gain, considering you're more likely to use a Vultr product if you have an active account with them compared to if you didn't

I'd be suprised if they kicked out free users

Maybe they'd gain from requiring a connected card/some billing method

But kicking out DNS users wouldn't make sense, imagine someone hosting 100s of domains on there and basically destorying a compute to create a new one in another location, and for a minute not have any service, it would probably hurt their reputation too to shove a big timer up the user's face with "create a compute within x days or we remove your domains"

But yeah, that's all speculation

Thanked by 1pbx
  • I started using Bunny.Net for a new domain registered a week ago . The domain is not even live. Did not add A record for the main domain so (domain.com and www.domain.com does not even resolve).

Just have 4 A records for subdomain that I am using as hostname to ssh into server. I even set TTL for 1 day. But their Panel shows I have 115K queries in just last 7 days. o:)

Something does not make sense. Are they over calculating ? The domain should not be having that many queries.

• Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran
    edited December 2023

@jlet88 said: Another one I already like is ClouDNS.

Last time I tried CloudNS, their anycast behaved really weirdly. For me, DNS lookups from Australia were being routed to the US east coast even though they had a PoP in Australia! That went on for months after I reported the issue... For sites that primarily target Aussies, I ended up self-hosting using two VPSes in Australia which ended up being much faster than CloudNS was...

I'm currently using DNS Made Simple but I signed up before the Digicert acquisition, when a "business" (second lowest) plan was $60/year. Now a similar plan is $675/year! I renewed a few years at the old price but I guess I'll switch to another provider eventually. Their service is good though - very fast servers and changes seem to propagate across all their servers instantly.

One of my domains has hundreds of records, and some otherwise good hosts (like DNSimple) have a limit of 100 or 200 per domain. I also need about 5 million lookups per month.

I also like running my own hidden primary server and using the DNS hosting service as a secondary via AXFR. A lot of DNS hosts don't offer that as an option :/

• @Daniel15 said: Last time I tried CloudNS, their anycast behaved really weirdly

@Daniel15 said: I'm currently using DNS Made Simple but I signed up before the Digicert acquisition, when a "business" (second lowest) plan was $60/year.

Route53/Rage4?

• gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep

Ping me if you want to try Rage4

• @Umair said:
    I started using Bunny.Net for a new domain registered a week ago . The domain is not even live. Did not add A record for the main domain so (domain.com and www.domain.com does not even resolve).

Just have 4 A records for subdomain that I am using as hostname to ssh into server. I even set TTL for 1 day. But their Panel shows I have 115K queries in just last 7 days. o:)

Something does not make sense. Are they over calculating ? The domain should not be having that many queries.

I also transferred one of my domains over there about a week ago, not much traffic (mainly mail) with 5min TTL - stats show 3k requests until now (more than half of them MX which makes sense).

You can see the type of queries in the statistics overview, maybe it help to track down the culprit.

• Which provider is better for anycast dns?

• I wish Bunny were a solid competitor to Cloudflare, but Cloudflare has just so many features and services it's very hard. Also I get a shit-ton of stuff for free with Cloudflare. Very hard to compete with them IMO.

• Does Bunny offer a free version?

• Without a proxy and caching feature similar to Cloudflare, there is no point, there are too many similar free DNS providers out there.