Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best server backup solution?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Best server backup solution?

Hello, I have a server with directadmin installed and I host many web hosting accounts. I need a good solution suggestion that I can easily back up the server daily and restore it easily in case of any problem.

What backup plan and system should I use? Is it better to backup the whole server? Or just directadmin accounts?

Comments

• Protip: topic should have included DirectAdmin to get best responses.

Thanked by 1thecreator_
  • get a cheap slab from buyvm and attach block storage to it, then use the default directadmin send backups via ftp. Alternatively, if you got an old pc, you can use samba

Thanked by 1thecreator_
  • NetDynamics24NetDynamics24 Member, Host Rep

I recommend you purchase:
    1. Jetbackup license
    2. Remote backup storage SFTP

Thanked by 2thecreator_ kuticon
  • MannDudeMannDude Host Rep, Veteran

https://bu-backup.com.ar/ works pretty well for us on our shared servers.

Thanked by 2thecreator_ donko
  • vsys_hostvsys_host Member, Patron Provider

Good afternoon, we can advise you to configure the built-in DirectAdmin backups on a separate disk in the server.
    If you need maximum reliability, you can additionally rsync to a remote server via cron. This will ensure that backups are stored in two places at once.

Thanked by 1thecreator_
  • ArkasArkas Moderator

Have 2 backup spaces. One on the cloud, and also 1 in a local external storage HDD. There are many solutions for the actual software. Does your DA license come with Softaculous?

Thanked by 1thecreator_
  • m4num4nu Member, Patron Provider

I once used a Python script to pull backups from different shared hosting accounts. Sadly there is no consistency on which backup app is installed and with DirectAdmin there would be 2 systems to maintain.

Next time I'd maybe use rclone to sync files over FTP and keep local snapshots. But it would still miss the database.

So what I'd want is a service that manages backups of many shared hosting accounts. For cases where a site is hacked or the provider deadpools. Suggestions welcome. 😇

Thanked by 1thecreator_
  • @NetDynamics24 said:
    I recommend you purchase:
    1. Jetbackup license
    2. Remote backup storage SFTP

Doesn't JetBackup just provide backups for hosting users? Of course, backups are the responsibility of the user, but what I'm looking for as a hosting provider is to back up customers' data.

I'm also researching how to do this in the easiest and most reliable way.

@MannDude said:

Thank you. I am hearing this for the first time. Is it safe? How long have you been using?

@vsys_host said:
    Good afternoon, we can advise you to configure the built-in DirectAdmin backups on a separate disk in the server.
    If you need maximum reliability, you can additionally rsync to a remote server via cron. This will ensure that backups are stored in two places at once.

Thank you very much for your suggestion.

@Arkas said:
    Have 2 backup spaces. One on the cloud, and also 1 in a local external storage HDD. There are many solutions for the actual software. Does your DA license come with Softaculous?

Thanks for the suggestion and yes I am using softaculous.

Thanked by 1vsys_host
  • ArkasArkas Moderator

@thecreator_ said: and yes I am using softaculous.

If I remember correctly, as I don't have it in front of me, softaculous has a few good backup solutions. For the local storage backup, you can use rclone, or just SFTP with something like Filezilla and download the entire site.

Thanked by 1thecreator_

@thecreator_ said:

Doesn't JetBackup just provide backups for hosting users? Of course, backups are the responsibility of the user, but what I'm looking for as a hosting provider is to back up customers' data.

Yes jetbackup provides backups available for the client to restore etc but also it can send the backups to remote SFTP location and thus you (the hosting provider) are able to restore all accounts in case of disaster.

• JamesFJamesF Member, Host Rep

I do daily backups to rsync.net and our main backup via acronis that clients can use to restore files etc...

• @Arkas said:

@thecreator_ said: and yes I am using softaculous.

If I remember correctly, as I don't have it in front of me, softaculous has a few good backup solutions. For the local storage backup, you can use rclone, or just SFTP with something like Filezilla and download the entire site.

Thank you again. I will try this.

@NetDynamics24 said:

@thecreator_ said:

Yes jetbackup provides backups available for the client to restore etc but also it can send the backups to remote SFTP location and thus you (the hosting provider) are able to restore all accounts in case of disaster.

This sounds very nice. I haven't looked closely at jetbackup before. For example, is it easy to transfer existing backups to another server with jetbackup? What data do Jetbackup backups contain?

@JamesF said:
    I do daily backups to rsync.net and our main backup via acronis that clients can use to restore files etc...

Thank you. I will try this right away.

• vsys_hostvsys_host Member, Patron Provider

@thecreator_ said:

@vsys_host said:

Thank you very much for your suggestion.

You are welcome!
    Kindly contact us! :)

I hope you will be pleased with o:)

• j3rj3r Member

I schedule directadmin admin backups then run a cron script on my storage server to rclone copy via ssh every day. You have to pay for a vps or server somewhere but it is reliable and secure.

• @MannDude said:

No stutter?

edited January 2023

@thecreator_ said:
    I haven't looked closely at jetbackup before. For example, is it easy to transfer existing backups to another server with jetbackup? What data do Jetbackup backups contain?

Yes, you just setup the remote location and it sends the backups there automatically every time it runs (daily or hourly, etc).
    It backups all accounts data (files, dayabases, emails, etc).

• DediRockDediRock Member, Patron Provider

@NetDynamics24 said:

@thecreator_ said:

Solid solution

• Hello everyone,

We would like to take the opportunity to address some of the questions that have been raised in this thread. JetBackup 5 offers a variety of storage destinations, including SSH, FTP, and S3 for secure remote backups. Additionally, with the upcoming release of JetBackup v5.3, we will also support Google Drive as a storage destination. Backups can be restored by both web hosts and individual clients.

JetBackup includes support for full account backups (Panel Config, Home Directory Files, Databases/DB users, Emails/Email Accounts, FTP Accounts, Cron Jobs, DNS Zones, and SSL Certificates) as well as directory backups. We strive to provide comprehensive and reliable backup solutions for our customers. If you have any further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to reach out to our support team by emailing [email protected].

Thank you,

The JetApps Team

Thanked by 2cpsd thecreator_
  • @JetApps said:
    Hello everyone,

We would like to take the opportunity to address some of the questions that have been raised in this thread. JetBackup 5 offers a variety of storage destinations, including SSH, FTP, and S3 for secure remote backups. Additionally, with the upcoming release of JetBackup v5.3, we will also support Google Drive as a storage destination. Backups can be restored by both web hosts and individual clients.

JetBackup includes support for full account backups (Panel Config, Home Directory Files, Databases/DB users, Emails/Email Accounts, FTP Accounts, Cron Jobs, DNS Zones, and SSL Certificates) as well as directory backups. We strive to provide comprehensive and reliable backup solutions for our customers. If you have any further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to reach out to our support team by emailing [email protected].

Thank you,

The JetApps Team

Hello, thank you for your response.

So jetbackups is not just a backup application offered in the hosting control panel for users. Is it true? As a web hosting company, can we safely back up our customers' websites and other data to another server with jetbackups?

• JamesFJamesF Member, Host Rep

I use Acronis backup cloud.

Thanked by 1thecreator_
  • @JamesF said:
    I use Acronis backup cloud.

Does acronis provide the storage? How much do you pay?

• I use JetBackup + backup storage. I also use Acronis Backup Cloud which is a backup control panel with storage included.

• You should always have a backup plan for your server, especially if you host multiple web hosting accounts. Backups ensure that you can restore your server in the event of data loss.

Depending on your specific needs and requirements, you can either back up the entire server or just the DirectAdmin accounts.

In addition to ensuring that all data, configurations, and settings are included in the backup, backing up the entire server can be time-consuming and require significant storage space. In case you don't have enough storage space, you might want to consider incremental backups or backing up only the server's most critical parts.

In the case of many hosting accounts, backing up only the DirectAdmin accounts would be a more efficient approach. DirectAdmin's built-in backup tool can be used to create and manage backups. This method allows you to restore individual accounts instead of the entire server, making recovery easier and faster.

It is also possible to use a third-party backup solution that will automate the backup process and provide additional features such as off-site backups, encryption, and scheduling. Some popular backup solutions for servers include Acronis, R1Soft, and cPanel Backup.

Regardless of the method you choose, make sure to test your backups regularly to ensure they are working correctly and that they can be easily restored if necessary.

Thanked by 1thecreator_
  • wii747wii747 Member
    edited April 2023

I use proxmox backup server and backblaze s3

Thanked by 1yongsiklee