Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for VPS to host Ethereum node on
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for VPS to host Ethereum node on

Hey, I'm looking for a VPS to host an Ethereum node. I'm not staking, I just want to have my own node.

Requirements:
Cores: 2-4, as long as they're decent
Mem: 8GB
Disk: 1.5TB SSD or RAID HDD (>400MB/s r/w), preferably SSD
Connectivity: 6TB bandwidth at minimum 100Mbps
Budget: Don't really have one in mind, hit me with your best offers :)

Thanks!

Comments

• *Forgot to add, ability to pay in crypto is a huge plus (don't want to go through an offramp to fiat to pay, it's a lot of hassle)

• treesmokahtreesmokah Member
    edited January 2023

@crunchbits - really fucking nice prices on storage, US-based, based, accept crypto payments and will meet your specs and bandwidth requirements.
    @MannDude - can spin up a custom plan for you, based on crunchbits platform, US-based, based, accept crypto payments and will meet your specs and bandwidth requirements.
    @Francisco - slice + storage slab should do the job, US-based, based, accept crypto payments and will meet your specs and bandwidth requirements.
    @MrRadic - you could grab a small dedi and host it there, should do the job and not be that expensive, accepts crypto payments but requires KYC(LAME), US-based.

I think the node could run on a HDD(raid but not some extremely fast type of shit) without any problems. Just don't reboot it too often :) scanning will take some time for sure.

Thanked by 2crunchbits MannDude
  • @treesmokah said:
    I think the node could run on a HDD(raid but not some extremely fast type of shit) without any problems. Just don't reboot it too often :) scanning will take some time for sure.

I spun up a quick VPS on vultr to test with HDD block storage attached, it struggled during the initial sync phase but I didn't run it long enough to test its performance after syncing. When I tested NVMe storage though, it was much faster and had no problems during sync. However, some sources say that if the disk is slow enough the node will always be consistently N blocks behind, but that may be fine if it's not off by too much.
    I've seen the deals on the providers you mentioned, and I'll definitely keep them in mind! Just want to weigh out my options first :)

Thanked by 1treesmokah
  • MannDudeMannDude Host Rep, Veteran
    edited January 2023

@MooCowGalaxy said:

@treesmokah said:

I spun up a quick VPS on vultr to test with HDD block storage attached, it struggled during the initial sync phase but I didn't run it long enough to test its performance after syncing. When I tested NVMe storage though, it was much faster and had no problems during sync. However, some sources say that if the disk is slow enough the node will always be consistently N blocks behind, but that may be fine if it's not off by too much.
    I've seen the deals on the providers you mentioned, and I'll definitely keep them in mind! Just want to weigh out my options first :)

You may find that our most recent offer is a good match for your needs: https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/183918/double-bw-5gbps-free-vps-contest-in-our-new-location-idaho-usa-kvm-vps-nvme-hdd-addon-storage

Feel to write in if you need something a bit more custom. :)

• crunchbitscrunchbits Member, Patron Provider, Top Host

Appreciate the mention @treesmokah

I don't think an eth node would work too well on our HDD RAIDs, especially if >400MB/s r/w is a real requirement. I haven't run an ETH node since we were colo'ing a bunch of miners but I would definitely recommend SSD or NVMe. I know for mining it was pretty important to never be behind/be well connected to avoid stales/uncles. Unsure for just basic node operation.

Otherwise, none of our existing plans meet the requirements in a cost-efficient manner. May be time to bring back the node-hosting series, but until then I'd recommend @MannDude or @Francisco

Small dedi's probably best bang for your buck, I know someone who has some extremely affordable E3's coming online soon which will fit the bill ;)

• AndreixAndreix Member, Host Rep

Kinda off-topic, but I have a small curiosity.
    Do you receive DoS/DDoS on such crypto nodes? Are they susceptible to frequent attacks like those?

Thanks!

• @Andreix said:

Kinda off-topic, but I have a small curiosity.
    Do you receive DoS/DDoS on such crypto nodes? Are they susceptible to frequent attacks like those?

Thanks!

I haven’t received any DoS attacks from nodes, the attacks are usually because of my game servers. Although, I’ve only experienced 3 attacks in the past (all behind DDoS protection) so it’s a possibility that my node may randomly get found by some DDoSer some time in the future.
    This node is going to be private though, so it shouldn’t really be much of an issue

Thanked by 1Andreix
  • @treesmokah said:
    @crunchbits - really fucking nice prices on storage, US-based, based, accept crypto payments and will meet your specs and bandwidth requirements.
    @MannDude - can spin up a custom plan for you, based on crunchbits platform, US-based, based, accept crypto payments and will meet your specs and bandwidth requirements.
    @Francisco - slice + storage slab should do the job, US-based, based, accept crypto payments and will meet your specs and bandwidth requirements.
    @MrRadic - you could grab a small dedi and host it there, should do the job and not be that expensive, accepts crypto payments but requires KYC(LAME), US-based.

Radic dislikes running crypto infrastructure, unbased.

Wouldn't recommend them for this (or anything related to crypto) at all.

• MrRadicMrRadic Patron Provider, Veteran

@fluffernutter said:

Radic dislikes running crypto infrastructure, unbased.

Wouldn't recommend them for this (or anything related to crypto) at all.

We don't "dislike" it, we just pass on the costs of increased hardware failure, higher power/cooling bills to the customer. You're welcome to do it, but you have to pay for it.