Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Really Low End Offers
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Really Low End Offers

LittleCreekLittleCreek Member, Patron Provider

I see offers sometimes for less than 2 GB of ram. Is there really a market for that? It just seems really low to be able to do anything.

Comments

• TrKTrK Member

@LittleCreek said:
    I see offers sometimes for less than 2 GB of ram. Is there really a market for that? It just seems really low to be able to do anything.

Haven't you heard, even 64MB RAM is enough to run wireguard! And if you see recent NAT VPS sales thread they are doing quite awesome.

• HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Veteran
    edited January 2023

There was. Originally LowEndBox (and in extension LowEndTalk) was a thing because it was focused on running services on 32MB/64MB/128MB RAM OpenVZ servers. This was a long time ago and since then the price of RAM has come down significantly where 512MB RAM is within reason. With 32MB/64MB VPSes services primarily ran were ZNC, IRC, VPN, web servers, a very stripped down minecraft server, et. But as time continues, more resources are available and people aren't focused on coding things with the bare minimal hardware and instead have more "space" to run services in.

Now there are still some who sell 128MB/256MB RAM VPSes for a few dollars a year, but (and this is just my opinion), I don't think it matters as much as the cost of IPs has increased significantly that at those price points you don't get as good of a value for your dollar.

So nowadays, I think 512MB RAM is probably the lowest you really do need to go (I still spin up 512MB VPSes on Vultr/Linode/DigitalOcean). Anything smaller and cost of IPv4 is just isn't going to be worth it. Unless it's IPv6 only then of course. Software maturity has also followed with cost of RAM so I think we have more software diversity available but not a lot of them focus on resource optimization making it harder to justify anything smaller than 256MB servers.

• If the primary need of the service is VPN, 2gb is an overkill which I believe many users typically end up using (or idling)

• I've recently asked the community about this.
    2 GB is a lot. Most of the offers I see here are 1GB with occasional 512MBs.

• It largely depends on the services you run and how heavy they are. I just recently decommissioned a host with 1gb of RAM. It ran OpenBSD just fine, providing light wireguard, mail (OpenSMTPD & Dovecot for IMAP), and database-backed (as well as static) web serving. And there was still plenty of headroom to SSH in and have an IRC client running there. I have similar systems locally (some ancient hardware and a RPi) with less than 1GB of RAM and they can perform similarly well on any one of those tasks (a little underpowered to do all of them concurrently unless the load is particularly light).

• MannDudeMannDude Host Rep, Veteran

2GB of RAM is a lot.

Then again, nowadays all these hipster software stacks need 4GB of RAM and two dedicated cores to compile a website that prints, "Hello, world".

• H_2H_2 Member

I can find something for them to do with 1gb if the price is right.

• add_iTadd_iT Member
    edited January 2023

@LittleCreek said:

Everyone love like lowend in terms of price, not on the spec nowadays, i think the market has been changed

I suggest to not selling below 1GB machine because it just wasting IP space In my opinion

1GB is minimum lowend now, because what is the point you buying 128, 256, or 512mb machine if you can getting 1GB or 2GB machine with same price or i can say just slightly different price

• I use many of them.

• ericlsericls Member, Patron Provider

software has gotten too bad

• 2GB minimum.

Thanked by 1Arkas
  • coventcovent Member
    edited January 2023

I run a Tendermint validator node on a 1GB server, and as others have mentioned VPN, monitoring, jump servers, dashboards etc. there's a lot of need for small nodes really. For data intensive/high throughput apps, usually it seems storage IOPS is more a bottleneck than amount of RAM, but it depends on so many things and this is not true for large datasets etc.

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

I need at least 2GBs of RAM to feel good putting it to idle.

Idling VPSes with less than 2 GBs:

• LittleCreekLittleCreek Member, Patron Provider

@DP said:
    I need at least 2GBs of RAM to feel good putting it to idle.

Idling VPSes with less than 2 GBs:

How did you get a picture of me.

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

@LittleCreek said: How did you get a picture of me.

You're famous you LittleCreek!

• @LittleCreek said:

Idk what you mean "anything" here but benchmarking vps with yabs is a thing you can do. ;)

Thanked by 1noisycode
  • 1CPU 2GB is enough to run nextcloud and wireguard personal use

• 512mb is pretty much for MX relay servers

• blackeyeblackeye Veteran
    edited January 2023

512mb ram, 1vcore, 10gb hdd running smooth for wireguard, hestiacp, wordpress

• imho, people who are willing to hang out with an unmanaged VPS have their own needs, [1] low budget; [2] websites with massive visitors, which technically is a special case of [1]; [3] running a customized software, say, a proxy or a golang-based website; [4] geek-ish stuffs, e.g., an everyday benchmark.

Let us look at all these demands.

For [1], the owner tends to running a start-up project and earns little from the website due to too few visitors.1GB and even 512MB of RAM works fine.
    For [2], please raise funds and get beefy servers or just shutdown the website.
    For [3], it's easy to deploy a MySQL for replica syncing, or a Redis for remote cache, or an etcd node in a distributed system on a VM of 1GB RAM without pain, not to mention massive networking wares in the wild.
    For [4], guys are fully aware of what they are doing, an xlarge box for compilation, and a tiny cute box for testing.

I personally write blogs, store DB backups, build private service discovery system, and deploy distributed FS on 1GB RAM-ed VMs. All compilations are thrown to a 4-vCore-8GB-RAM-ed VM. All the other boxes are idling.

• I had for 7 years a VPS with 128 mb of ram where they were running 1 znc and 2 eggdrop

• LittleCreekLittleCreek Member, Patron Provider

Sounds like I need to create some more special offers in this space.

• @LittleCreek said:
    Sounds like I need to create some more special offers in this space.

Not really, managing a server with mixed workload needs some extra effort againt fraud.

• cybertechcybertech Member
    edited January 2023
    CPU Cores: 2
    RAM: 2536 MB
    NVMe: 35-45GB
    Bandwidth: 2-3000 GB/Month
    1x IPv4 dedicated

something like this would be golden.

Thanked by 2beanman109 Patriarch
  • @cybertech said:

> CPU Cores: 2
    > RAM: 2536 MB
    > NVMe: 35-45GB
    > Bandwidth: 2-3000 GB/Month
    > 1x IPv4 dedicated
    > 

something like this would be golden.

+1 to this but I'll take 2GB RAM flat if it's cheaper

• @Carlin0 said:
    I had for 7 years a VPS with 128 mb of ram where they were running 1 znc and 2 eggdrop

I still have an 8 year old ramnode vps with 128mb RAM.

• ArkasArkas Moderator
    edited January 2023

Realistically to do something useful, you need 2GB of RAM, and preferably 2 cores, depending on the CPU type you could use 1 vcore.

• My favorite way to use a vps under 2gb ram is for Tor Bridges and Snowflake server.

• MumblyMumbly Member
    edited January 2023

@Arkas said: Realistically to do something useful, you need...

What do you mean with "something useful" in relation to the VPSes?
    I mean I can do most of the things I am interested about with 512MB vps. Are they useful? Well, I don't earn money with them, but they are worth which means useful to me.

• MumblyMumbly Member
    edited January 2023

@Carlin0 said:
    I had for 7 years a VPS with 128 mb of ram where they were running 1 znc and 2 eggdrop

Me too until recently (128mb securedragon vps) :)
    Psybnc, few eggdrops, simple channel stats website & OpenVPN.