Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Really Low End Offers - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Really Low End Offers

Comments

• ArkasArkas Moderator

@Mumbly said: What do you mean with "something useful" in relation to the VPSes?

I mean it in the sense of a production site. It is subjective.

Thanked by 1Mumbly
  • MumblyMumbly Member
    edited January 2023

@Arkas said: It is subjective.

Yes, exactly, that's why I responded :) Different user case = different needs.
    Plenty things we talk about at LET and find useful on a daily basis (vpn's, storage servers, irc, simple personal blog, etc...) can be and we often do run on a vpses with much smaller memory.

But there's a thing. Decent 1GB - 2GB memory VPSes became so cheap that there's simply not sense to pay $10/y or something for "legacy" IPv4 258mb vps which is the reason I cancelled several of them not so long ago.

Thanked by 1Arkas
  • low price with low specifications. It's nice to be able to pay monthly. :)

• for vpn 512 mb is more than enough. even for hosting few wordpress sites with low traffic.

• LittleCreekLittleCreek Member, Patron Provider

@markz said:
    low price with low specifications. It's nice to be able to pay monthly. :)

The problem is processing fees. If I do some really cheap stuff it will have to be yearly.

Thanked by 2nick_ khalequzzaman
  • @LittleCreek said:
    I see offers sometimes for less than 2 GB of ram. Is there really a market for that? It just seems really low to be able to do anything.

I run Icinga, Grafana, Prometheus, MySQL and some other services on a 2C2G vps, and it's no problem at all. Granted, the load is pretty low, it monitors about 30 or so hosts and maybe 100 services, but it has no problem at all doing so.
    I run a Nextcloud instance on a 512MB storage vps and some wireguard's on 256MB vps's.

For personal use and just playing around, there really isn't much you cant do on 2 GB.

• @TrK said: Haven't you heard, even 64MB RAM is enough to run wireguard!

Until you try to use what it was made for - torrenting without alerting your ISP and potential holywood copyright watchdog :P
    Then it suddenly wants tries to allocate 500Mb+ for your 250/250 connection slots and it is ogre,

• TrKTrK Member

@Digika said:

@TrK said: Haven't you heard, even 64MB RAM is enough to run wireguard!

Until you try to use what it was made for - torrenting without alerting your ISP and potential holywood copyright watchdog :P
    Then it suddenly wants tries to allocate 500Mb+ for your 250/250 connection slots and it is ogre,

Whenever it happens, the server dies quietly!

• @LittleCreek said:

@markz said:

The problem is processing fees. If I do some really cheap stuff it will have to be yearly.

What is cheaper for you, PayPal or credit card.
    That's why I like to add funds to my account so it cuts down on so many individual processing.
    I hope that saves you money. I've also changed to yearly with you. Most providers don't have a add funds feature.

Thanked by 1khalequzzaman
  • @LittleCreek said:

@markz said:

If it cheap and getting good value for it, happy to commit it on yearly basis. Already having few server from you and I am almost happy with it. :-)

• ArkasArkas Moderator
    edited January 2023

Just make sure that the many very low end VPSs don't take away resources by abuse from the 'normal' sales.

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@Arkas said:
    Realistically to do something useful, you need 2GB of RAM, and preferably 2 cores, depending on the CPU type you could use 1 vcore.

Nuh, not really. For instance I run a couple of name server on small 1 vCore, 256 MB memory VMs - and I think that (almost) everybody will agree that name servers are a useful thing.

At the same time I have to partially agree with those who say that with high IP address costs it probably doesn't make sense to sell "mini-VPS" (say with < 1 GB); "partially" because many (most?) customers who want the cheapest VPS possible don't care about IP4 vs IPv6 and would gladly take the latter too if only the VPS is supercheap.

There's also another factor. Let me quote an excerpt of another user's post (no attack whatsoever intended. He just happened to provide a good and probably not uncommon example).

@rcy026 said:

@LittleCreek said:
    I see offers sometimes for less than 2 GB of ram. Is there really a market for that? It just seems really low to be able to do anything.

I run Icinga, Grafana, Prometheus, MySQL and some other services on a 2C2G vps, and it's no problem at all. Granted, the load is pretty low, it monitors about 30 or so hosts and maybe 100 services, but it has no problem at all doing so.

The problem IMO isn't the RAM, the problem is the attitude of both many users and (very) many "developers". IMO that "solution" is an abomination just like running PHP, MySQL, and e.g. WP is for many (most) small blogs.
    Again, this is in no way an attack on rcy026; he can run whatever he damn pleases.

But running e.g. a fat MySQL behind millions of smallish WP blog sites IMO is just insane and pervert. I'm not even angry about the people doing that, I'm mainly angry about the a__holes establishing "common wisdoms" like "blog? Just use WP!"
    And if someone with still intact brains mentions "nope. Sqlite will be perfectly fine" he is (a) smirked at, and (b) (unfortunately correctly, it seems) told that no, WP needs Mysql.

Remember the "Wintel game"? Back then Microsoft bloated Windows up with every release and intel sold - surprise, surprise - ever more powerful CPUs who could just about compensate for MS's bloating, which at the same time created the need for a more powerful processor in the first place.
    Nowadays those companies can happily smile because the customer herds have "learned" the game and play along by themselves and blow hundreds of Watts into the air because, of course, one "must" have a cool (with RGB lighting please!) graphics card ... and at the same time do the "environment and climate conscious" dance.

And again quite the same with "developers" creating gazillions of lines of crap ("code") in PHP, Python, Javascript, etc - and of bloody course requiring Mysql.

I used the term "customer (and user) herd" above for a reason. God's name nowadays is "Mammon" and "Chaos". And everyone putting up even a small amount of resistance is considered an a__hole. I'm an example (and I consider my (few) Ryzen or E5 v4 4-vCores, 8 GB memory VMs to be mighty behemoths, but then my monitoring system needs maybe 2 MB of RAM, has no bloated http UI and no Mysql).

• @rcy026 said:

@LittleCreek said:

The problem IMO isn't the RAM, the problem is the attitude of both many users and (very) many "developers". IMO that "solution" is an abomination just like running PHP, MySQL, and e.g. WP is for many (most) small blogs.
    Again, this is in no way an attack on rcy026; he can run whatever he damn pleases.

But running e.g. a fat MySQL behind millions of smallish WP blog sites IMO is just insane and pervert. I'm not even angry about the people doing that, I'm mainly angry about the a__holes establishing "common wisdoms" like "blog? Just use WP!"
    And if someone with still intact brains mentions "nope. Sqlite will be perfectly fine" he is (a) smirked at, and (b) (unfortunately correctly, it seems) told that no, WP needs Mysql.

Remember the "Wintel game"? Back then Microsoft bloated Windows up with every release and intel sold - surprise, surprise - ever more powerful CPUs who could just about compensate for MS's bloating, which at the same time created the need for a more powerful processor in the first place.
    Nowadays those companies can happily smile because the customer herds have "learned" the game and play along by themselves and blow hundreds of Watts into the air because, of course, one "must" have a cool (with RGB lighting please!) graphics card ... and at the same time do the "environment and climate conscious" dance.

And again quite the same with "developers" creating gazillions of lines of crap ("code") in PHP, Python, Javascript, etc - and of bloody course requiring Mysql.

I used the term "customer (and user) herd" above for a reason. God's name nowadays is "Mammon" and "Chaos". And everyone putting up even a small amount of resistance is considered an a__hole. I'm an example (and I consider my (few) Ryzen or E5 v4 4-vCores, 8 GB memory VMs to be mighty behemoths, but then my monitoring system needs maybe 2 MB of RAM, has no bloated http UI and no Mysql).

I could not agree with you more. It does not happen often, but when you're right, you're right.
    I have personally ported several projects from mysql to sqlite simply because I refuse to use a big bloated sql when all I need to do is store some text. I cram shit down on the smallest vps possible just to prove a point. I have convinced a shitload of customers that no, you do not need a wordpress site to host your 100% static, 3 pages, updated once every 5 year website.
    My personal laptop is a core2 with 4G of ram. People keep telling me I need to upgrade but I fail to see why. I do not need more then 4G of ram to run my ssh sessions.
    I don't know how many threads I've seen where providers asks what we want, and my reply have always been "I do not need nvme, ssd or a shitload of cores and ram, just give me something stable and cheap".

Yes, Icinga is bloated, and it's an extreme overkill. The reason I use it is that I use it at work and I needed a playground. People said it would not work on 2G, but I proved them wrong. Just for the hell of it a run Grafana on the same vps, they said that would never work on 2G either. :smile:

Thanked by 3jsg Lee fluffernutter
  • i had 128MB from ramnode

• i felt this to be a lowkey bait. personally, if i am getting a dedicated core from a modern cpu, you'd want at least 2 gb ram with the vps to make the most of it. that will allow you to run many things and use virtualization/containerization stuff.

many just run one or two light things on shared core vps with much less ram. so am i atm.

• You can create a package 2 cpu 2 ram 30GB disk is so ok, many many people need it

• nick_nick_ Member

@mekongmmo said:
    You can create a package 2 cpu 2 ram 30GB disk is so ok, many many people need it

He already did. https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/185259/starting-at-13-95-year-kvm-virtualizor-nvme-24-7-support/p1

• @nick_ said:

@mekongmmo said:
    You can create a package 2 cpu 2 ram 30GB disk is so ok, many many people need it

He already did. https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/185259/starting-at-13-95-year-kvm-virtualizor-nvme-24-7-support/p1

It's better if they have monthly plan

• febryanvaldofebryanvaldo Member
    edited June 2023

@LittleCreek said: I see offers sometimes for less than 2 GB of ram. Is there really a market for that? It just seems really low to be able to do anything.

Mostly for tunneling things. I usually install WireGuard. even 512MB is good enough hahaha.

Thanked by 1kuticon
  • emghemgh Member
    edited June 2023

On my current project I though 8 GB RAM would last me a while.

Started developing for real maybe a month ago.

My memory is almost att full utilization. Will have to upgrade to 16.

There’s about 5-6 Docker containers running etc, but honestly they don’t use too much.

The most usage is a huge MariaDB database that I need in RAM, because even on NVMe, a query that in RAM feels instant takes A LOT of time.

• @HalfEatenPie said:
    There was. Originally LowEndBox (and in extension LowEndTalk) was a thing because it was focused on running services on 32MB/64MB/128MB RAM OpenVZ servers. This was a long time ago and since then the price of RAM has come down significantly where 512MB RAM is within reason. With 32MB/64MB VPSes services primarily ran were ZNC, IRC, VPN, web servers, a very stripped down minecraft server, et. But as time continues, more resources are available and people aren't focused on coding things with the bare minimal hardware and instead have more "space" to run services in.

Now there are still some who sell 128MB/256MB RAM VPSes for a few dollars a year, but (and this is just my opinion), I don't think it matters as much as the cost of IPs has increased significantly that at those price points you don't get as good of a value for your dollar.

So nowadays, I think 512MB RAM is probably the lowest you really do need to go (I still spin up 512MB VPSes on Vultr/Linode/DigitalOcean). Anything smaller and cost of IPv4 is just isn't going to be worth it. Unless it's IPv6 only then of course. Software maturity has also followed with cost of RAM so I think we have more software diversity available but not a lot of them focus on resource optimization making it harder to justify anything smaller than 256MB servers.

But now lowend providers here have to pay the Bilohbucks tax so lowend prices are dead.

• as your customer who resells your vps, I really hope you make a small package like 1 Core 2 G Ram because many of my customers need it.
    If you do that, I will bring more customers to use your services

@supremasi said:
    as your customer who resells your vps, I really hope you make a small package like 1 Core 2 G Ram because many of my customers need it.
    If you do that, I will bring more customers to use your services

$13.95/year is less than 1 cup of coffee per month. I don't like this plan and it will not be available for much longer.

• well, $13.95 is worth a day meal for a family in my country

• risharderisharde Patron Provider, Veteran

@LittleCreek said:

You can still do quite alot on a 1 GB vps. Plus Racknerd as example up to recently sold less than 1 GB vpses. I'd take that as a hint that there's still a market (if the price is right - half might even buy it as idlers)

• @LittleCreek said:
    $13.95/year is less than 1 cup of coffee per month. I don't like this plan and it will not be available for much longer.

Is it available right now?

• @LittleCreek said:

I do need vps plan 2G pay monthly

• emghemgh Member

@risharde said: half might even buy it as idlers

Thanked by 1risharde

@lebidule said:

@LittleCreek said:

Is it available right now?

Yes.