Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

YABReview.com - Yet Another Benchmark Review
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

YABReview.com - Yet Another Benchmark Review

JamesRoiJamesRoi Member
edited January 2023 in General

I wanted to share something exciting with all of you! I've recently started a personal blog called YABReview, which stands for Yet Another Benchmark Review. I've created this blog as a way to make it up to all of you, as I know I've had some past issues here on LowEndTalk.

I know I'm not someone special / well known in LET to give the providers some bad or good review and become basis of end users of choosing their hosting provider. But, I hope YABReview can be a good use for everyone.

This blog is based on my personal opinion only (unreliable, you might say. If you need some reliable and a review that came from an real expert, go to LowEndReview, LET have verified all of the reviews posted in their blog). but, don't worry I will provide an honest and accurate real experience review from the provider, even if the review is sponsored If I see / experience something that is utter crap, I will include it in my post. Hosting providers are free to use it as reference to improve their service / product or if the provider have alread fixed those crap I'll give them another review.

The review that I will be posting in YABReview are from 3 to 7 days of using the service (VPS / VDS / Dedicated Server / Shared Hosting). So, my first post is expected to be ready 7 days after posting this discussion. I only have limited budget so I can only try some VPS / VDS and Shared Hosting for now. I'll try to provide new reviews every 3 or 7 days because it's my personal process of benchmarking the service, because sometimes the service is good at first and then goes bad after a few days. As long as I can afford it, I'll give you guys some good reviews. :#

I'm open for any suggestions, advice or any comments.

@DP, @Arkas, @MikePT if this discussion is not allowed in LET please close it or if it's in wrong category please move it. Thank you, mates.

Comments

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

Absolutely fine with me James. Good luck!

Thanked by 2JamesRoi greentea
  • @MikePT said:
    Absolutely fine with me James. Good luck!

Thank you, @MikePT. YABReview is hosted in MyW, it might be my first review content :#

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • fuck off finally, you are annoying

• edited January 2023

@JamesRoi said:
    This blog is based on my personal opinion only (unreliable, you might say. If you need some reliable and a review that came from an real expert, go to LowEndReview, LET have verified all of the reviews posted in their blog).

What a joke of a "review" blog. The author gives everyone 5/5 stars, with no benchmarks. Just paragraphs of superfluous words drizzled with buzzwords and positive sentiment to drive SEO. These websites are the dogshit results you don't want to see when using Google Search.

If you believe that author is a real expert and follow their steps you're gonna have a bad time.

I don't think this forum (you mentioned LET) have verified any of their reviews.

Thanked by 1JamesRoi
  • @JamesRoi said: So, my first post is expected to be ready 7 days after posting this discussion.

Go to hell.

Thanked by 1JamesRoi
  • ArkasArkas Moderator

This is a blatant advertisement for your site IMO.

Thanked by 2greentea noisycode
  • @Arkas said:
    This is a blatant advertisement for your site IMO.

If it's not allowed, please close it. Thanks mate.

• @Arkas said: This is a blatant advertisement for your site IMO.

What fucking site? There is no single post there, no content at all. This is idk... IP harvesting or some fucked up SEO attempt >:D

Thanked by 1Marx
  • TrKTrK Member

@JabJab said:

@Arkas said: This is a blatant advertisement for your site IMO.

What fucking site? There is no single post there, no content at all. This is idk... IP harvesting or some fucked up SEO attempt >:D

Can be both! I mean it!

• @JabJab said:

Registered today...

• @JabJab said:

@TrK said:

@JabJab said:

Can be both! I mean it!

@MikePT can access the website since this is hosted in his MyW to check if there's some IP Harvesting shts or any fucked up SEO attempt going on in YABReview.

I'm know I'm stupid with my past issue, but I'm not that stupid to host something malicious to LET Moderator's Hosting.

It's just my way to make up for the drama I've cause with LET. I'm willing to purchase and test every LowEnd provider in order to provide end users with useful reviews to help them choose their hosting provider.

• @ascicode said:

@JabJab said:

Registered today...

"I've recently started a personal blog"

• @BunnySpeed can also prove if did I ever turned the Anonymize Log IPs in Bunny.net to prove YABReview is not for IP Harvesting.

• HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Veteran
    edited January 2023

@JamesRoi. I like your energy and your ambition to try and make an impact. I was interested in seeing that in a short time you recognized there was an empty need in the services people were looking for (with every offer post asking for YABS). It shows that you're paying attention and trying to identify needs within this space to try and bring it value. I appreciate the effort. However...

This isn't a new and unique idea. These kinds of solutions come-and-go. We had serverbear for a while. I think Geekbench has their own solution. There were other community-driven projects that kind of fizzled out (from what I can tell, I don't use YABS a lot). I also don't think a grand gesture like this is going to resolve anything, especially some people's opinions. Nor do I think this is a service that's going to be that useful really, especially since YABS and these stress tests only shows us a view of their infrastructure and server at that point of time and does not inform (although many wants to think that way) of the future resources or value of the product.

I'd recommend you take some time to just listen and see what happens within a "cycle" (you'll recognize how long that cycle is after you're here for a bit) to help you understand further where to most effectively spend your time. Just jumping in like this rarely pans out (from the tons of people we've seen come and go with similar ideas).

Again, I like your energy.

For everyone else, give the guy a break. It's common that once someone has a "bad reputation" others will keep using them as a punching bag until they leave. Relax, give the guy an opportunity to show he means well. His first shot might not have been on the spot but over time he might be able to contribute meaningfully. I'm not saying trust everything he says, but give him an opportunity to prove you otherwise.

• Wait, wait wait waaaaait... Does some asked if Roi isn't otus?

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • @HalfEatenPie said:
    @JamesRoi. I like your energy and your ambition to try and make an impact. I was interested in seeing that in a short time you recognized there was an empty need in the services people were looking for (with every offer post asking for YABS). It shows that you're paying attention and trying to identify needs within this space to try and bring it value. I appreciate the effort. However...

This isn't a new and unique idea. These kinds of solutions come-and-go. We had serverbear for a while. I think Geekbench has their own solution. There were other community-driven projects that kind of fizzled out (from what I can tell, I don't use YABS a lot). I also don't think a grand gesture like this is going to resolve anything, especially some people's opinions. Nor do I think this is a service that's going to be that useful really, especially since YABS and these stress tests only shows us a view of their infrastructure and server at that point of time and does not inform (although many wants to think that way) of the future resources or value of the product.

I'd recommend you take some time to just listen and see what happens within a "cycle" (you'll recognize how long that cycle is after you're here for a bit) to help you understand further where to most effectively spend your time. Just jumping in like this rarely pans out (from the tons of people we've seen come and go with similar ideas).

Again, I like your energy.

For everyone else, give the guy a break. It's common that once someone has a "bad reputation" others will keep using them as a punching bag until they leave. Relax, give the guy an opportunity to show he means well. His first shot might not have been on the spot but over time he might be able to contribute meaningfully. I'm not saying trust everything he says, but give him an opportunity to prove you otherwise.

Do we expect something shittier tomorrow?

• @ascicode said: Do we expect something shittier tomorrow?

I don't think of it that way. Instead I just think he's eager to try and show his value. That's why it gets released in, sometimes, a bit of a half-baked way. The hard part is getting actual meaningful content, the easy part is building the website. So he built the website, and published it to try and get some users and basically publicly set goals stating he's going to fill this out.

People bitched about how there's nothing there and that it's not well done. Like guys, he probably did this in less than a day. Of course nothing good really comes out in a day, no matter how smart or talented you are. Just like any company or startup, you can come up with a good idea, but it's the execution that really matters.

Basically my advice to him was don't just jump the gun on every idea you have and try these "grand gestures" to try and win people back. Just sit and listen and really understand what the problem is. Then spend a bit of time actually thinking through what the solution should be. Then go from there.

• @HalfEatenPie said:

@ascicode said: Do we expect something shittier tomorrow?

I don't think of it that way. Instead I just think he's eager to try and show his value. That's why it gets released in, sometimes, a bit of a half-baked way. The hard part is getting actual meaningful content, the easy part is building the website. So he built the website, and published it to try and get some users and basically publicly set goals stating he's going to fill this out.

People bitched about how there's nothing there and that it's not well done. Like guys, he probably did this in less than a day. Of course nothing good really comes out in a day, no matter how smart or talented you are. Just like any company or startup, you can come up with a good idea, but it's the execution that really matters.

Basically my advice to him was don't just jump the gun on every idea you have and try these "grand gestures" to try and win people back. Just sit and listen and really understand what the problem is. Then spend a bit of time actually thinking through what the solution should be. Then go from there.

I recommend to read the web and stay away.

• HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Veteran
    edited January 2023

@ascicode said: I recommend to read the web and stay away.

And you're welcome to have that opinion. Everyone's free to have their own opinion. I just put some recommendations out.

Thanked by 2JamesRoi greentea
  • AdvinAdvin Member, Patron Provider

@JabJab said:

They PM'd me asking for a free VPS in every single one of my locations to Yabs and put on their blog :(

• TrKTrK Member
    edited January 2023

@Advin said:

@JabJab said:

They PM'd me asking for a free VPS in every single one of my locations to Yabs and put on their blog :(

The End is Nigh!

Thanked by 1vitobotta
  • DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

@Advin said: They PM'd me asking for a free VPS in every single one of my locations to Yabs and put on their blog :(

Oh.

So much for this then:

@JamesRoi said: I'm willing to purchase and test every LowEnd provider

Thanked by 2crunchbits greentea
  • @Advin said:

@JabJab said:

Who would've thought?

Thanked by 1greentea
  • MumblyMumbly Member
    edited January 2023

@LTniger said: Wait, wait wait waaaaait... Does some asked if Roi isn't otus?

@Advin said: They PM'd me asking for a free VPS in every single one of my locations...

Here you have it.

Thanked by 1greentea
  • jlet88jlet88 Member
    edited January 2023

@JamesRoi -- if you're really going to do this YABreview site, maybe lay off the PM'ing people asking for free hosting. Maybe lay off the PMs in general for a while, considering your other thread.

If you want to do this review site, I wish you good luck, but generate some content out of your own pocket -- buy the services yourself, no freebies. When you pay for a service or product, that can also make your reviews more accurate and believable since in many industries it's common for "free review samples" to be cherry picked, and therefore not an actual real-world example that a normal customer might get.

In addition to that, there is a type of bias related to confirmation bias, which makes the reviewer tend to review something more positively when they get something for free. There's a whole industry for that and they generate 95% useless reviews. Why do you think a staggering amount of positive reviews exist on Amazon for crappy products? It's a huge business and it destroys trust. That industry is built on providing "free" products in exchange for a review.

So the best reviews are usually from someone who has paid for the item himself, with no connection or biases on either side of the equation from the provider/seller or customer. So if you want to gain trust with your reviews, pay for the products and stop the PMing for freebies.

In any case, good luck with your approach. I think your enthusiasm is great, and I'm trying to be open minded like HalfEatenPie. But for it to work, you have to lay off the backroom wheeling and dealing with people, and be totally up front and transparent.

Also, for your idea to work, you'll need to commit to it over a period of time so people can see you are serious and consistent. If you actually did this over a good period of time with high-quality content, I'm sure your reputation would significantly improve here.

But don't do it "to make up" for the other thread. An actual, really good review website is very time consuming to create and maintain. So creating a review site that is actually good is overkill if you want to "make it up" to the forum.

If all you want to do is "make it up," then just read more, learn more, be a nice person, be helpful in areas that you know something about, and don't try to get things for free or sell inappropriate things to forum members behind the scenes.

Good luck.

Thanked by 3JamesRoi Xor greentea
  • What about giving an option to users to post their own reviews about hosting?

• JamesRoiJamesRoi Member
    edited January 2023

@Advin said:

@jlet88 said:
    So the best reviews are usually from someone who has paid for the item himself, with no connection or biases on either side of the equation from the provider/seller or customer. So if you want to gain trust with your reviews, pay for the products and stop the PMing for freebies.

That was sent before the website was published and in process of thinking how to sustain that kind of website, then knowing it's not good (no one else replied aside from @Shakib (sorry if I didn't sent any reply pls read below), and guessed that this is quite common thing) since I talked with @speedypage via Live Chat (he can send the whole conversation about it if you need it) (he's a nice guy and have a lot of patience with customers tho), and he told me the possible impact of that and it's quite common too the community that's when I've decided to just purchase them then add it to my idle family after doing review and benchmarking.

but, hey thanks for your advise mate @HalfEatenPie and @jlet88 I really appreciate that, but, I think I'll stay on this niche. Aside from LET, there's some end users who's not geek and nerd enough to know geekbench, they are the one who I'd like to help.

Thanked by 1Shakib
  • @Advin said: They PM'd me asking for a free VPS in every single one of my locations to Yabs and put on their blog

Hey ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°),
    I am thinking about new blog - I would call it YYABS.blog - Yearly YABS - it will be aimed at running YABS for year to see which provider is the most stable!
    Please free VPS, for a year, in every location and every flavor.

kthxbye
    Signed,
    JabJab

Thanked by 2yoursunny Marx
  • @atabally said:
    What about giving an option to users to post their own reviews about hosting?

Actually that's one of my idea, you can read it in About page; "I also like to keep things interactive, so I encourage you to leave your own comments and feedback on my reviews. That way, we can have a community of tech enthusiasts who can share their own experiences and help each other out."

• @JabJab said:

@Advin said: They PM'd me asking for a free VPS in every single one of my locations to Yabs and put on their blog

Hey ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°),
    I am thinking about new blog - I would call it YYABS.blog - Yearly YABS - it will be aimed at running YABS for year to see which provider is the most stable!
    Please free VPS, for a year, in every location and every flavor.

kthxbye
    Signed,
    JabJab

For transparency, here's the whole message:
    "I hope you are doing well. I am reaching out to inquire if you would be willing to lend me one VPS per datacenter for one week. The purpose of this is to conduct a benchmark and review for a blog post. I understand if this is not possible and thank you in advance for your time and consideration. Thank you."

Also, I'd like to you to know "That was sent before the website was published and in process of thinking how to sustain that kind of website"

After thinking of it while talking with Hardeep, I have (not that I'm proud of it, it's kinda rude of me) ignored one of provider's offer to let me test their service out (sorry if I didn't replied in our conversation). After reflect it could become biased since I "asked" for it.