Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

YABReview.com - Yet Another Benchmark Review - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

YABReview.com - Yet Another Benchmark Review

2»

Comments

• I don't know you so I don't know what has happened in the past nor why they are kinda attacking you, I just don't understand what's the point of opening a post to advertise a website that has no content at all yet... weird.

Thanked by 2greentea maverick
  • ArkasArkas Moderator

@JamesRoi Do not under any circumstances reveal DMs on here. I am letting this thread open... For now... But do NOT share private info or I will not hesitate to take all of this down.

Thanked by 1maverick
  • RapToNRapToN Member, Host Rep

What I don't understand at all by now: Do you want to become a hosting provider or rate providers?

I find it extremely questionable to do both at the same time.

Maybe you should first decide for yourself what you want, how you can achieve it, get started and present that here, if there is really something to present.

• @vitobotta said:
    I don't know you so I don't know what has happened in the past nor why they are kinda attacking you, I just don't understand what's the point of opening a post to advertise a website that has no content at all yet... weird.

For suggestions, advice and comments.
    I'd like end user to have a content that will satisfy them and will really help them choose their hosting provider.

Advices are really helpful it's pretty hard if you are on your own.

• @Arkas said:
    @JamesRoi Do not under any circumstances reveal DMs on here. I am letting this thread open... For now... But do NOT share private info or I will not hesitate to take all of this down.

I'll take note on that. Thanks for reminder, mate.

Thanked by 1Arkas
  • @JamesRoi said:

@vitobotta said:
    I don't know you so I don't know what has happened in the past nor why they are kinda attacking you, I just don't understand what's the point of opening a post to advertise a website that has no content at all yet... weird.

I'd like end user to have a content that will satisfy them and will really help them choose their hosting provider.

If I were you I'd have tested a bunch of providers before advertising the site here....

Generally speaking, I am not sure if I'd create such a website. You are gonna find it hard to earn trust of people IMO. Especially if you review other providers while you recently said you want to become one...

• @RapToN said:
    What I don't understand at all by now: Do you want to become a hosting provider or rate providers?

Maybe you should first decide for yourself what you want, how you can achieve it, get started and present that here, if there is really something to present.

I have already decided that before creating this blog. I've had issues and that issue almost lead to doxxing (which I think reasonable) me which I've had reflected into.

I've decided to keep providing hosting solutions to my "clients" while no longer pursuing it in the international market. Because if I continue down that road, it will be difficult for my clients.

• @JamesRoi said:

@RapToN said:

I have already decided that before creating this blog. I've had issues and that issue almost lead to doxxing (which I think reasonable) me which I've had reflected into.

I've decided to keep providing hosting solutions to my "clients" while no longer pursuing it in the international market. Because if I continue down that road, it will be difficult for my clients.

Desicions have to be made in months, not days or hours.

• @vitobotta said:

@JamesRoi said:

@vitobotta said:

If I were you I'd have tested a bunch of providers before advertising the site here....

Generally speaking, I am not sure if I'd create such a website. You are gonna find it hard to earn trust of people IMO. Especially if you review other providers while you recently said you want to become one...

LET is full of geeks and nerds and my target are the end users who doesn't know how to benchmark their own, that's why I've decided to post it first for some validation (if I'm in right path or is this already a thing) and to accept any advices they could give.

• @JamesRoi said:

@vitobotta said:

@JamesRoi said:

@vitobotta said:

LET is full of geeks and nerds and my target are the end users who doesn't know how to benchmark their own, that's why I've decided to post it first for some validation (if I'm in right path or is this already a thing) and to accept any advices they could give.

I understand, but I bet people would take reviews on Trustpilot more seriously than somebody's reviews on a blog

• ArkasArkas Moderator

Ok. @HalfEatenPie has the first word here because of obvious reasons. Other than that everybody deserves at the very least a second chance. This is LET, not some robotic forum. We are human and so is @JamesRoi (unless he is a chatGPT bot in which case mind=blown).

Thanked by 1JamesRoi
  • @ascicode said:

@JamesRoi said:

@RapToN said:

Desicions have to be made in months, not days or hours.

To be honest, if you are in my situation, where everyone is questioning your worth to the point where everyone has the time to pursue that issue personally (doxxing) and give me a hard time in my country, I would be very upset. You will need to re-validate your worth in public at some point.

"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you" but its kinda over the limit, because I only tried to take the opportunity to have some initial connections using the way I know which is to provide something in exchange of something.

I can accept it if it can only ruin my online life, but if it will ruin my personal life, I need to do something to re-validate that lost credibility as soon as possible.

• @atabally said:
    What about giving an option to users to post their own reviews about hosting?

What a novel idea. Maybe LET should think about that. Oh wait...

• JamesRoiJamesRoi Member
    edited January 2023

@vitobotta said:

@JamesRoi said:

@vitobotta said:

@JamesRoi said:

@vitobotta said:

I understand, but I bet people would take reviews on Trustpilot more seriously than somebody's reviews on a blog

That's why I'll take this blogging seriously for them to take my reviews seriously where the reviews are reasonable and not just one sided and of course accurate in end users experience.

• JamesRoiJamesRoi Member
    edited January 2023

The review will also cover everything from ticket/email support to response time, technical knowledge, and client behavior.

No end user wants a 48-hour - 64-hour response time from a LowEnd provider because that is simply too long.

No end user wants a hosting provider who cannot assist them with their basic technical requirements.

No end user wants harsh behavior from a provider to whom they have just given money.

That's why I find this review of mine to be really helpful with end users.

I won't reveal the whole process, but this is the gist of my review.

• Basically, YABReview will benchmark everything not just the hardware performance, even the hosting provider's performance. :smile:

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

Make more moves and less announcements.

• @DP said:
    Make more moves and less announcements.

I'll take note on that, thanks mate

• ArkasArkas Moderator

@DP said: Make more moves and less announcements.

I just sent a DM saying as much... @DP is wise.

Thanked by 1JamesRoi
  • @HalfEatenPie said:
    This isn't a new and unique idea. These kinds of solutions come-and-go. We had serverbear for a while. I think Geekbench has their own solution. There were other community-driven projects that kind of fizzled out (from what I can tell, I don't use YABS a lot). I also don't think a grand gesture like this is going to resolve anything, especially some people's opinions. Nor do I think this is a service that's going to be that useful really, especially since YABS and these stress tests only shows us a view of their infrastructure and server at that point of time and does not inform (although many wants to think that way) of the future resources or value of the product.

I think it could be cool with a simple form where anyone could paste yabs and have the data displayed in a line graph to show stability/performance over the progression of time. Maybe include a search function so results could be sorted/compared by price/location/provider/network speed/disk speed etc.

The caveat would be anyone could easily modify the input before submission to skew the results in either direction. Maybe if a scraper was used instead of user submissions it could cut down on the risk of modified reports, and also gather a good bit of data so there's enough to draw a conclusion.

I doubt it would be a big earner and agreeably not super useful but I'd wager a newcomer could learn quite a bit during the implementation, and it could be fun to look at on occasion.

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

@fitkoh said:

@HalfEatenPie said:
    This isn't a new and unique idea. These kinds of solutions come-and-go. We had serverbear for a while. I think Geekbench has their own solution. There were other community-driven projects that kind of fizzled out (from what I can tell, I don't use YABS a lot). I also don't think a grand gesture like this is going to resolve anything, especially some people's opinions. Nor do I think this is a service that's going to be that useful really, especially since YABS and these stress tests only shows us a view of their infrastructure and server at that point of time and does not inform (although many wants to think that way) of the future resources or value of the product.

I think it could be cool with a simple form where anyone could paste yabs and have the data displayed in a line graph to show stability/performance over the progression of time. Maybe include a search function so results could be sorted/compared by price/location/provider/network speed/disk speed etc.

The caveat would be anyone could easily modify the input before submission to skew the results in either direction. Maybe if a scraper was used instead of user submissions it could cut down on the risk of modified reports, and also gather a good bit of data so there's enough to draw a conclusion.

I doubt it would be a big earner and agreeably not super useful but I'd wager a newcomer could learn quite a bit during the implementation, and it could be fun to look at on occasion.

@corbpie's YABSdb?

• btw. because seems no one mentioned it already - telling provider you need VPS because you are going to do a review is against basic rules of anything.
    Provider will give you better/unused node, set your shit different, put your tickets into high priority rather than normal.

This is not how you do science.

Thanked by 2op23 LeftR
  • @DP said:
    @corbpie's YABSdb?

That's pretty much what I was envisioning. I guess there would have to be a scraper to have any added usefulness.

• stonedstoned Member
    edited January 2023

Hello. I hope it's alright to ask this. What qualifications have you to provide reviews for the community? What services have you used, or run, for how long, and under what sort of load?

In general, what qualifies anyone to be able to review anything? Perhaps it requires expertise in that particular domain and long term experience.

I can register a site as well, vps-reviews.com for example, and start posting reviews about various companies I've been with. Why would people come read my opinions? What sort of credibility have I got? What do I know that others don't? Or what can I say that others have not?

Is it just our expertise? How do we market that? How do you build credibility as an expert VPS reviewer who knows the ins-outs of VPS hosting and the required technical expertise and can provide in depth honest and real reviews?

Thanks.

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@JabJab said:
    telling provider you need VPS because you are going to do a review is against basic rules of anything.
    Provider will give you better/unused node, set your shit different, put your tickets into high priority rather than normal.

Shall we start telling every provider that we are buying their VPS for reviews?
    Price will be paid, but we get better node?

• I could have sold you lebreview.com

• ArkasArkas Moderator
    edited January 2023

@yoursunny said: Shall we start telling every provider that we are buying their VPS for reviews?

No IPv9, so I don't care. I'm happy with my Antarctica servers. :smile:

• @Advin said:

@JabJab said:

@Arkas said: This is a blatant advertisement for your site IMO.

What fucking site? There is no single post there, no content at all. This is idk... IP harvesting or some fucked up SEO attempt >:D

They PM'd me asking for a free VPS in every single one of my locations to Yabs and put on their blog :(

OtusHost

• op23op23 Member
    edited January 2023

@yoursunny said:

@JabJab said:
    telling provider you need VPS because you are going to do a review is against basic rules of anything.

Shall we start telling every provider that we are buying their VPS for reviews?

And use chatGPT to push a review article on the Wordpress blog if the provider asks where is the review 😂

We are still dealing with lots of garbage in social media and people who believe in everything WhatsApp / Facebook / TikTok throws out, now mix chatGPT into the mix for hard mode.

• DediRockDediRock Member, Patron Provider

@JamesRoi said:
    I wanted to share something exciting with all of you! I've recently started a personal blog called YABReview, which stands for Yet Another Benchmark Review. I've created this blog as a way to make it up to all of you, as I know I've had some past issues here on LowEndTalk.

I know I'm not someone special / well known in LET to give the providers some bad or good review and become basis of end users of choosing their hosting provider. But, I hope YABReview can be a good use for everyone.

This blog is based on my personal opinion only (unreliable, you might say. If you need some reliable and a review that came from an real expert, go to LowEndReview, LET have verified all of the reviews posted in their blog). but, don't worry I will provide an honest and accurate real experience review from the provider, even if the review is sponsored If I see / experience something that is utter crap, I will include it in my post. Hosting providers are free to use it as reference to improve their service / product or if the provider have alread fixed those crap I'll give them another review.

The review that I will be posting in YABReview are from 3 to 7 days of using the service (VPS / VDS / Dedicated Server / Shared Hosting). So, my first post is expected to be ready 7 days after posting this discussion. I only have limited budget so I can only try some VPS / VDS and Shared Hosting for now. I'll try to provide new reviews every 3 or 7 days because it's my personal process of benchmarking the service, because sometimes the service is good at first and then goes bad after a few days. As long as I can afford it, I'll give you guys some good reviews. :#

I'm open for any suggestions, advice or any comments.

@DP, @Arkas, @MikePT if this discussion is not allowed in LET please close it or if it's in wrong category please move it. Thank you, mates.

Keep it up!

Thanked by 1JamesRoi