Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What's your connection speed and how much do you pay for it? (also where are you based)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What's your connection speed and how much do you pay for it? (also where are you based)

Curious to compare offers with other countries. I live in Finland, and I just upgraded my home broadband to 1000/400, and it now costs me 29 euros per month. What about you? I am curious mostly about home connections, since business connections can be faster but also much more expensive.

Comments

• 1200/35 for $100/mo. F Comcast.

• Speed 500MBPs Coax connection , ping to europe 44-45ms paying 10$/m Loc ALbania

• @SocksAreComfortable said:
    1200/35 for $100/mo. F Comcast.

Wow that's expensive, and also not very balanced download/upload - or did you mean 350 up? Do you reach those speeds at least?

• @vpspanel said:
    Speed 500MBPs Coax connection , ping to europe 44-45ms paying 10$/m Loc ALbania

The price is not too bad. Is it 500 also upload?

• @vitobotta said: The price is not too bad. Is it 500 also upload?

up to 500mbps both up/down , home use price is very fair and cheap .
    Fiber Optics options are too.

• @vpspanel said:

@vitobotta said: The price is not too bad. Is it 500 also upload?

up to 500mbps both up/down , home use price is very fair and cheap .
    Fiber Optics options are too.

Nice deal :)

• edited January 2023

@vitobotta said:

@SocksAreComfortable said:

Wow that's expensive, and also not very balanced download/upload - or did you mean 350 up? Do you reach those speeds at least?

Oh I wish it was a typo, it's only 35 up. No, just typical American docsis setup. Literally everywhere around me has AT&T Fiber (who has symmetrical 1Gbps for about $60/mo), but my neighborhood? Just Comcast.

I do get 1 Gbps down very consistently, I'll give them that. The upload is consistently 35 Mbps, too, for whatever that's worth. I couldn't tell you if I get 1200 because while my modem has a 2.5Gbps LAN port, I don't have the equipment to take advantage of it yet. Considering upgrading the router but all the ones I've seen that have both a WAN and LAN port at 2.5 Gbps are like $300 or more.

• Nice deal on finland too :)

• 80/20 for £30/m, the upload speed is painful when deploying projects, can't complain too much though, I live in the middle of nowhere and had 1/0.5 until 2015 :D

• @SocksAreComfortable said:

@vitobotta said:

Oh I wish it was a typo, it's only 35 up. No, just typical American docsis setup. Literally everywhere around me has AT&T Fiber (who has symmetrical 1Gbps for about $60/mo), but my neighborhood? Just Comcast.

I do get 1 Gbps down very consistently, I'll give them that. The upload is consistently 35 Mbps, too, for whatever that's worth. I couldn't tell you if I get 1200 because while my modem has a 2.5Gbps LAN port, I don't have the equipment to take advantage of it yet. Considering upgrading the router but all the ones I've seen that have both a WAN and LAN port at 2.5 Gbps are like $300 or more.

weird combination. So fast download with so poor upload. It's the weirdest combination I have seen so far

• @ptreja said:
    80/20 for £30/m, the upload speed is painful when deploying projects, can't complain too much though, I live in the middle of nowhere and had 1/0.5 until 2015 :D

Where in the UK?

• @vitobotta said:
    Where in the UK?

Devon

• MrRadicMrRadic Patron Provider, Veteran

@vitobotta said:

@vitobotta said:

weird combination. So fast download with so poor upload. It's the weirdest combination I have seen so far

It's normal with DOCSIS technology. DOCSIS 4 will supposedly change that, but we'll see.

Same situation here with Comcast, but we're finally getting fiber.

• @vitobotta said:

Yeah it's quite unfortunate. Really limits the number of remote Plex streams I can have going for my friends & family, and makes transferring large files quite rough (partially why I started looking into VPS, actually).

• @MrRadic said:

@vitobotta said:

@vitobotta said:

It's normal with DOCSIS technology. DOCSIS 4 will supposedly change that, but we'll see.

Same situation here with Comcast, but we're finally getting fiber.

They claim they will be upgrading it to 1200/200 in the "near future." I am not holding my breath.

• 30/10 Mbps up/dl, around $25/m.

• MannDudeMannDude Host Rep, Veteran
    edited January 2023

Starlink. From 85mbps or so during peak times (I'm depriortized due to location) to 200Mbps+.

$135/mo because I have to have roaming enabled for the dish.

• @MannDude said:
    Starlink. From 85mbps or so during peak times (I'm depriortized due to location) to 200Mbps+.

How stable is Starlink?

• MannDudeMannDude Host Rep, Veteran

@vitobotta said:

@MannDude said:

How stable is Starlink?

Pretty stable. Might go down for a few seconds here and there but it's rarely noticeable. I'm very happy with it.

My only other option for internet is a 4G Hotspot and I only get one bar of service and maybe 2mbps down... F-that.

• ArkasArkas Moderator

I use a VPN almost all the time because I'm paranoid :/ So my speed depends on which VPN I'm connected to and which country or region. Surely you don't get your max speed with a VPN.

Thanked by 1kait
  • 1200/45 here in Knoxville, for $80/m. Xfinity. I get a solid 960/45 at any given time of the day.

• 100/100 Fiber. Unlimited Traffic. Vodafone Portugal. 28€/month

• 1Gbit up/1Gbit down $80/m California

• 1Gbit symmetric fiber, $70 CAD/mo, Canada

• crunchbitscrunchbits Member, Patron Provider, Top Host
    edited January 2023

Yeah used to have that same comcast plan at home, worked okay minus the abysmal upload. Problem is when something breaks that is hyper-local (but not your specific house) they just kind of don't care. One of the connections/boxes/relays for my neighborhood was dropping packets and causing intermittent disconnects but some tech half way around the world could only offer to power cycle the modem and then it would "work" for another hour or so. I'm sure some internal metric flags "if number of complaints > X, then escalate to Y" and since I don't live downtown/urban there probably will never be enough complaints to care.

Either way, now using a small local ISP with a p2p 60g ubiquiti dish on a 1G/1G plan @ $50/month. Usually can nearly fully max it out. I'm at the extreme edge for working distance on this so heavy snow/rain will cause link quality to deteriorate and failover to 4G/5G hotspot. Much better than comcast.

• 50Mbps for $16/m

• 50/20 for a staggering $75 Dollarydoo's a month

Thanked by 1bdl
  • 1000/1000 fiber €6,5/m. Ukraine

• 70Mbps/30Mbps for about 12USD/month. Taipei. Local cable service.

• 150Mbps Globe Fiber = $30
    200Mbps PLDT Fiber = $36

I'm using Mikrotik Hex G3 to load balance the connection since residential connection in our area is congested. So, total of $66/mo