Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hetzner vs OVH vs Contabo vs Netcup, which one might be the Worst?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hetzner vs OVH vs Contabo vs Netcup, which one might be the Worst?

EthanZouEthanZou Member
edited January 2023 in General

Which one might be the Worst? and WHY?
  1. Hetzner vs OVH vs Contabo vs Netcup240 votes
    1. Hetzner
      13.75%
    2. OVH
      23.33%
    3. Contabo
      52.50%
    4. Netcup
      10.42%

Comments

• SirFoxySirFoxy Member
    edited January 2023

Hetzner banned me for life and wouldn’t tell me why. Contabo is super mid, and Netcup is too German with their contracts and shit, so I gotta go with the ol’ reliable, OVH (as best).

Thanked by 1licher70
  • nullroutenullroute Member, Host Rep
    edited January 2023

Hetzner offers top-notch service and support, so it shouldn't even be on this list. Their anti-fraud and abuse policies are strict and I like that, even though I was affected once by a false report.

Contabo is total crap, overselling, fake DDoS protection, non-existent support, did I say overselling?

Thanked by 2kait sebkehl
  • @SirFoxy said: Hetzner banned me for life and wouldn’t tell me why

Strange. @Hetzner_OL

• 50% OVH :D

• @true_nullroute said:
    Hetzner offers top-notch service and support, so it shouldn't even be on this list. Their anti-fraud and abuse policies are strict and I like that, even though I was affected once by a false report.

Contabo is total crap, overselling, fake DDoS protection, non-existent support, did I say overselling?

:D

• @JamesRoi said:
    50% OVH :D

Hmm, and why?

• @EthanZou said:

@JamesRoi said:

Hmm, and why?

Just check their thread.

• @JamesRoi said:

@EthanZou said:

@JamesRoi said:

Hmm, and why?

Just check their thread.

OMG :D

• 90 days waiting time is just too much lol they should have advertised PRE-ORDER

• edited January 2023

In regards to the VPS service, I think OVH it's expensive for what they deliver (low specs/low performance). Contabo oversells, but they offer you more specs for the money you pay comparing to OVH.

So, my vps experience is:

OVH < Contabo < Netcup < Hetzner

But Netcup also has "root" (dedicated resources) servers that outperform Hetzner VPS.

Regarding the dedicated servers, things change a bit. There's no one like Hetzner for dedicated servers. Awesome prices, awesome network, awesome service. There's also Kimsufi (OVH) with awesome prices too, but with older hardware and 100 mbps network.
    And OVH with awesome servers but a bit pricier comparing what you can get at Hetzner.

So, to conclude:

VPS: Monthly Root servers at Netcup.eu (don't go for the Netcup.de)
    Dedicated Server: Hetzner
    Low End Dedicated: Kimsufi

Thanked by 1kdh
  • NETCUP.DE is best, :D

• add_iTadd_iT Member
    edited January 2023

Virmach

Edit: oh sorry they are even not on the list , so forget it

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

"Hetzner vs OVH vs Contabo vs Netcup, which one might be the Worst?"

The answer is Neither. None of them are bottom of the barrel or really bad.

As for "Contabo is overselling!!!" - BS! I happen to know for a fact that they are not overselling. But their node monitoring is so lackluster that one might feel that way. All in all their virtual servers are among the better ones and you get really good bang for the buck.

As for Hetzner VPS I benchmarked a VPS and it was disappointingly slow compared to similar priced competitors. But it seems they've earned themselves a good reputation (with their dedis) and have a lot of fans who blindly consider them the best (which for dedis might even often be true).

netcup seems to be the best for VDS ("root server"). Their VDS bang per buck ratio is really hard to beat, but they have their own set of not so nice points too. Merciless bureaucracy is one of them, having been a customer for years meaning absolutely nothing to them is another.

Re. OVH, (a) too much time has passed since I used their products, so I won't judge, and (b) wooden floors and obviously inadequate fire protection are more than one needs to know to come to a rather negative conclusion.

Neither, btw., would the question "which of them is the best?" really make sense

Thanked by 1harrison
  • afnafn Member
    edited January 2023

@jsg said: Neither, btw., would the question "which of them is the best?" really make sense

No, it would not.
    This is low end talk, the question as is funny and makes more sense for this forum, we should race to the bottom.

@jsg said: The answer is Neither. None of them are bottom of the barrel or really bad.

"Worst", is relative, to the other 3, no one asked which is the " absolute worst ever"

Which is worse than which is relative.

OVH horrible support and too french (i.e messy).
    Hetzner, lied about traffic limit, non transparent support, old rusty hardware in auctions, you have to be careful with it, but fast and relatively reliable support for most technical issues and cheapest dedis in the market.
    Netcup too german (i.e contracts), kyc and shit, good performance for what you pay
    Contabo is okayish in everything.

How you sort them, depends on each one's criteria and on what product are you considering.

the worst would be OVH for my own set of criteria.

• labraxlabrax Member
    edited January 2023

for asia location obviously contabo > ovh > hetzner > netcup

• Depends which category

VPS: Contabo (slow) > netcup (contract) > hetzner (bandwith limit > ovh

• @JamesRoi said:
    90 days waiting time is just too much lol they should have advertised PRE-ORDER

Strongly Agree.

• Contabo, their rate limits are horrible and the hardware is nothing to write home about.

• @danielcardosopt said:
    In regards to the VPS service, I think OVH it's expensive for what they deliver (low specs/low performance). Contabo oversells, but they offer you more specs for the money you pay comparing to OVH.

So, my vps experience is:

OVH < Contabo < Netcup < Hetzner

But Netcup also has "root" (dedicated resources) servers that outperform Hetzner VPS.

Regarding the dedicated servers, things change a bit. There's no one like Hetzner for dedicated servers. Awesome prices, awesome network, awesome service. There's also Kimsufi (OVH) with awesome prices too, but with older hardware and 100 mbps network.
    And OVH with awesome servers but a bit pricier comparing what you can get at Hetzner.

So, to conclude:

VPS: Monthly Root servers at Netcup.eu (don't go for the Netcup.de)
    Dedicated Server: Hetzner
    Low End Dedicated: Kimsufi

Thanks for your information! <3

• @ptervip said:
    NETCUP.DE is best, :D

And why? :#

• @add_iT said:
    Virmach

Edit: oh sorry they are even not on the list , so forget it

It seems that Virmach has a bad reputation?

• @jsg said:
    "Hetzner vs OVH vs Contabo vs Netcup, which one might be the Worst?"

The answer is Neither. None of them are bottom of the barrel or really bad.

As for "Contabo is overselling!!!" - BS! I happen to know for a fact that they are not overselling. But their node monitoring is so lackluster that one might feel that way. All in all their virtual servers are among the better ones and you get really good bang for the buck.

As for Hetzner VPS I benchmarked a VPS and it was disappointingly slow compared to similar priced competitors. But it seems they've earned themselves a good reputation (with their dedis) and have a lot of fans who blindly consider them the best (which for dedis might even often be true).

netcup seems to be the best for VDS ("root server"). Their VDS bang per buck ratio is really hard to beat, but they have their own set of not so nice points too. Merciless bureaucracy is one of them, having been a customer for years meaning absolutely nothing to them is another.

Re. OVH, (a) too much time has passed since I used their products, so I won't judge, and (b) wooden floors and obviously inadequate fire protection are more than one needs to know to come to a rather negative conclusion.

Neither, btw., would the question "which of them is the best?" really make sense

• @afn said:

@jsg said: Neither, btw., would the question "which of them is the best?" really make sense

No, it would not.
    This is low end talk, the question as is funny and makes more sense for this forum, we should race to the bottom.

@jsg said: The answer is Neither. None of them are bottom of the barrel or really bad.

"Worst", is relative, to the other 3, no one asked which is the " absolute worst ever"

Which is worse than which is relative.

OVH horrible support and too french (i.e messy).
    Hetzner, lied about traffic limit, non transparent support, old rusty hardware in auctions, you have to be careful with it, but fast and relatively reliable support for most technical issues and cheapest dedis in the market.
    Netcup too german (i.e contracts), kyc and shit, good performance for what you pay
    Contabo is okayish in everything.

How you sort them, depends on each one's criteria and on what product are you considering.

the worst would be OVH for my own set of criteria.

OVH, too french?

• @labrax said:
    for asia location obviously contabo > ovh > hetzner > netcup

Contabo? the best?

• @ascicode said:
    Depends which category

VPS: Contabo (slow) > netcup (contract) > hetzner (bandwith limit > ovh

How about OVH?

• @hacktek said:
    Contabo, their rate limits are horrible and the hardware is nothing to write home about.

It seems that Contabo might be the answer for this topic.

• Hetzner should not be on this list. Their support can give out a zero-fuck-given vibe sometimes and that can rub some people the wrong way. But other than that, their resolution is effective and prompt.

No experience with the rest (failed to signup for an account with one of them, glitched out with no resolution) but from some of the stories, I'd rather host out of my bedroom. I'll have some downtime but I won't be powerless and ignored come problem time.

• hacktekhacktek Member
    edited January 2023

I'd put Netcup a distant second behind Contabo. Been a customer for several years and their limits are way better than Contabo but they're still there. They especially don't like you putting stress on the drive, they usually rate limit writes to ~150 MB/s which can become a very limiting factor depending on the workload. Their uncapped io is good, I've measured it topping about 1500 MB/s which is more than enough for most workloads and enough to hit their 2.5-3 Gbps upload.

Hetzner cloud and OVH have always been solid for me, not as performant but no limits io wise that I've experienced, their limits usually come on the network side with either "generous but not great" transfer limits (Hetzner) or limits to how long you can peg the network at 100% for (OVH).

Thanked by 1licher70
  • @hacktek said:
    I'd put Netcup a distant second behind Contabo. Been a customer for several years and their limits are way better than Contabo but they're still there. They especially don't like you putting stress on the drive, they usually rate limit writes to ~150 MB/s which can become a very limiting factor depending on the workload. Their uncapped io is good, I've measured it topping about 1500 MB/s which is more than enough for most workloads and enough to hit their 2.5-3 Gbps upload.

Hetzner cloud and OVH have always been solid for me, not as performant but no limits io wise that I've experienced, their limits usually come on the network side with either "generous but not great" transfer limits (Hetzner) or limits to how long you can peg the network at 100% for (OVH).

Contabo < Netcup <OVH = Hetzner
    All right?

• @EthanZou said:

@hacktek said:

Contabo < Netcup <OVH = Hetzner
    All right?

Yeah that's how I'd rank them based on my own experience.

This is only speaking about cloud instances, I've only ever had dedis on Hetzner from this list.